LED lights and VHF signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED lights and VHF signal

interesting read on how to test if your led lights are screwing up your vhf radio signal/output
    https://www.panbo.com/uscg-warns-abo...-test-results/

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/CG-5PC/INV/Alerts/1318.pdf?ver=2018-08-16-091109-630
    sigpic
    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post

What about the rest of the boat?
    There a lots of other things that can cause interferance to the VHF radio not just the LED lights.
    After the LED lights have been tested and there no problems, Now start the engines and every electrical and electronic systems (don’t forget the fans or bilge pumps), with out moving the squelch knob do you hear any interference? If you don’t the next step is to turn the volume to maximum and take the boat out in the bay and run at normal speed, do you hear any interference now? IF you don’t your boat is not interfering with the VHF radio.

Comment

When I first put a light bar on my truck I had interference with the radio. I took one of the suppressors off of one of my power tool cords and clamped it over the wires. It actually cleared it up.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Quick question--not trying to hijack the thread- do your LEDs "soak" into the water and not reflect off the surface?
        2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
        SD309 AT
        2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
        Custom Mod's

Comment

Originally posted by Jimw View Post
          Quick question--not trying to hijack the thread- do your LEDs "soak" into the water and not reflect off the surface?
          With all the hype about how good LED lights are, if they reflected off the water better that a normal light they would be bragging about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
            When I first put a light bar on my truck I had interference with the radio. I took one of the suppressors off of one of my power tool cords and clamped it over the wires. It actually cleared it up.
            Curious about this suppressor on a power cord?
            “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Many power tools, grinders, drills and an attachment on the cord. They are called a: Ferrite Core noise suppressor. Looks like this.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

When my Wallas cooktop/stove is on my VHF gets a lot of feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Many power tools, grinders, drills and an attachment on the cord. They are called a: Ferrite Core noise suppressor. Looks like this.
                  These are used quite often in HAM radio shacks. We get all kinds of RF interference from home appliances...
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    With all the hype about how good LED lights are, if they reflected off the water better that a normal light they would be bragging about it.
                    The 3 LED's (2 - 4" spots and 1 - 32" curved bar) that I have on my jetboat didn't do me any favors when I was out in bigger, more open water.
                    There was some light, but not very usable. They "soaked" into the water like Jimw mentioned.
                    But on the rivers and sloughs where I've got banks and tress to bounce the beams off of, they work awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      These are used quite often in HAM radio shacks. We get all kinds of RF interference from home appliances...
                      I did the research and they looked like a solution. Can't buy any in town so I took one off of a power tool that I used very little. It worked for my lights.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
                        The 3 LED's (2 - 4" spots and 1 - 32" curved bar) that I have on my jetboat didn't do me any favors when I was out in bigger, more open water.
                        There was some light, but not very usable. They "soaked" into the water like Jimw mentioned.
                        But on the rivers and sloughs where I've got banks and tress to bounce the beams off of, they work awesome.
                        Awesome Thanks!!
                        2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
                        SD309 AT
                        2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
                        Custom Mod's

Comment

Originally posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
                          When my Wallas cooktop/stove is on my VHF gets a lot of feedback.
                          This is the first time, out of all of these that I have installed or worked on, that I have heard of this symptom. Check the power terminations for both the stove and VHF radio. There is most likely something loose or a bad connector. Measure impedance on these wires, terminal to terminal. Install the mentioned ferrite core at the VHF end on it's power cord to minimize noise. Good luck.
                          PolarMarine.net

Comment

Be wary of slapping random ferrite chokes on your equipment. They're all different and should be matched to the circuit. As they have the effect of reducing voltage, if not matched properly you could do more harm than good.
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

neat, I haven't had any issues with interference... good to know these could be a solution.
                              “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X