No announcement yet.

Good Windlass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear the Lonestar is working for ya, I have a brand X and having issues with the free fall and the breakout pins, which honestly could have been user induced. I try to use it it as a anchor "lifter" rather than a anchor puller... . but sometimes you have wind, currents and get a little carried away.
    What do the Lonestars have for a shear pin? Is it east to access?
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

I am not sure about shear pins. What I do is start the engine and drive slowly forward as I pull. If it looks like it is slowing down from too much pull, I stop the winch and continue forward slowly (towards deeper water preferred). At some point I can sense that the anchor is free and then I pull the anchor with the winch. Hope this helps.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Good Windlass

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
        Good to hear the Lonestar is working for ya, I have a brand X and having issues with the free fall and the breakout pins, which honestly could have been user induced. I try to use it it as a anchor "lifter" rather than a anchor puller... . but sometimes you have wind, currents and get a little carried away.
        What do the Lonestars have for a shear pin? Is it east to access?
        They have a very large shear key. Depending on the model it takes tons of force to shear one. If you overload it the resettable breaker trips, thats it. Reset it and get back to work.
        Hence the lifetime warranty on the units, they are well designed and high quality components made in Australia.
        Let me know if we can help or answer more questions.
        In the pic its the stainless square key on the bottom right. It is removed via the knurled stainless retainer. It unscrews about 2” on this model before releasing.

Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        BK Marine Services 232-6399
        Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
        Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
        Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by bkmail View Post
          They have a very large shear key. Depending on the model it takes tons of force to shear one. If you overload it the resettable breaker trips, thats it. Reset it and get back to work.
          Hence the lifetime warranty on the units, they are well designed and high quality components made in Australia.
          Let me know if we can help or answer more questions.
          In the pic its the stainless square key on the bottom right. It is removed via the knurled stainless retainer. It unscrews about 2” on this model before releasing.

Bk

BK, looks like the 3 would work for my 24' Glasply, If I am reading everything correctly the motor can be on either side and roatated as needed to fit, motor is such that there is no reverse or forward... samo/samo just how you spool the rode...?

How about this synthetic rode/rope combo you have...? Tell me more.....
          “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

You got it. Winch doesn’t care what direction it goes or what its rolling up. It just flat works, no problems.
            Synthetic is an option that is popular to get more rode than the standard 420’ of Lonestar double braid rope.
            Comes with Solenoid, stainless backing plate, switch, and breaker.
            *All GX3 winches on these three boats.
            Bk

4 gauge wire is needed.

Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
            Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

BK, What size double braid to get 420'...? currently using 3/8.... used 2/0 wire.... spendy, but no voltage drop

Comment

BK, What size double braid to get 420'...? currently using 3/8.... used 2/0 wire.... spendy, but no voltage drop
                It's Lone Stars 8 mm double braid.
                We carry it along with the bow sprits, rollers, anchors, remotes, chain guard, etc.....

The guys on Wicked Tuna are installing Lone Stars on their boats.
                Bk
                Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

BK, looks like the 3 would work for my 24' Glasply, If I am reading everything correctly the motor can be on either side and roatated as needed to fit, motor is such that there is no reverse or forward... samo/samo just how you spool the rode...?

How about this synthetic rode/rope combo you have...? Tell me more.....
                  Gramps I think your in Valdez. If you want to see one send me a PM and I will tell you my boat slip number and can maybe meet you there to show you. I love it. My mind was made up when I was out an Knowles Head pulling by hand on the bow in a four foot chop by myself.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                    Gramps I think your in Valdez. If you want to see one send me a PM and I will tell you my boat slip number and can maybe meet you there to show you. I love it. My mind was made up when I was out an Knowles Head pulling by hand on the bow in a four foot chop by myself.
                    Thanks Dave, The boat is in Valdez....... sadly I am in Fairbanks earning $ for more fuel.....!
                    I did walk the docks when we were there a few weeks ago and seen a few LS's.... may have laid eyes on your boat.....?
                    When you fist posted you were wanting 600' of rode... How much did you end up with? Did you use the 8mm (5/16)? Happy with that size? I had to pull ours by hand when the pins broke on our brand X I wasn't too thrilled with pulling 3/8 by hand... 5/16 would really suck, of course I hope I never have to pull by hand again....!

Comment

Yes I was wanting 600 but could not afford that size winch. I went with Brian's recommendation and a G3 with 420 plus chain. He does have synthetic that adds more length/cost. But so far what I have is working.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X