Harbor Seal in Tustumena Lake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Seal in Tustumena Lake...

I know sounds crazy but today after boating Tusty, on a beautiful glass day, a friend and I saw a unmistakable seal. It was to the left as you enter the lake swimming NE and looked like it had a date at the glacier in a hour. We were low on gas and didn't want to risk running out on our way to the truck for a pic. But both of us saw it through binos. I have seen seals swim up the Kenai River but not much farther than Cunningham Park. Has anyone else seen seals in Tusty?

Originally posted by AKElectrician View Post
    I know sounds crazy but today after boating Tusty, on a beautiful glass day, a friend and I saw a unmistakable seal. It was to the left as you enter the lake swimming NE and looked like it had a date at the glacier in a hour. We were low on gas and didn't want to risk running out on our way to the truck for a pic. But both of us saw it through binos. I have seen seals swim up the Kenai River but not much farther than Cunningham Park. Has anyone else seen seals in Tusty?

Yep. Too many.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

I thought it was strange to see one that far up there. How far have you seen them in the lake? I take it they are feeding on silvers?

Comment

I have seen many around slack water. Not really an extension to think they would be another mile up the river into the lake. Maybe I'll let my son go get one for his mom.

Comment

I am not in the lake much but see lots of seals in the very upper stretch of the river. So no doubt there are plenty in the lake. Those blasted things will eat any fish they get their paws on. Including steelhead. But yes, I'm sure they hit the silvers too.
          Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
          WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

We see them in the Big Su all of the time. Around the mouth of the Yentna river with regularity. I've seen them at the mouth of the Deshka river and even up river at the Landing itself. Kasilof River is short by comparison, doesn't surprise me one bit. They're just following the food...

Comment

I've seen seals as far inland as Chitna, the first time was in the mid 90's, always doubted my eyes afterwards for years. Then a few seasons ago I saw one again above the fish wheels, I grabbed my brother in law and hollered 'You see that?!! I knew I wasn't crazy!" Lol, I guess a swim up the Kasilof isn't too unreasonable....
              The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Comment

I have seen them many times in the Kenai in front of our cabin at river mile 42.
                2009 Seawolf 31'
                www.seawolfmarine.com
                Fully Loaded

Comment

Here is one around mile 48 Kenai r. I have seen them as far up as the inlet of Skilak river eating trout.

Comment

I've seen them in Skilak as well.

Comment

Yep seen them in Kenai lake as well
                      2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
                      SD309 AT
                      2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
                      Custom Mod's

Comment

Two seals overwintered in Skilak last winter.
                        Might be one of the reasons the trout fishing in June wasn't as good as it could have been....

Comment

Well guess it wasn't that weird. I thought that since they were more or a salt water creature, the fresh water might allow skin problems or something affect them over longer periods of time, still curious about that part. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Illiamna is one of two freshwater lakes (that I know of, the other being Baikal) that have year-round resident seal populations. Freshwater or saltwater, doesn't seem to matter. Not like fish who have to swap out freshwater in their tissue for salt (can't remember the term from Icthyology 101).

Comment

Originally posted by Jimw View Post
                              Yep seen them in Kenai lake as well
                              Normally I would say that's one heck of a haul, but from what I've read here now, seems like you could find them dang near anywhere.....
                              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X