Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008-2009 Suzuki DF 9.9

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2008-2009 Suzuki DF 9.9

    Wondering if anyone might be using or have experience with one of these 9.9 4 strokes? I'd like to give you a mini quiz. Respond here or shoot me a pm....thanks.

  • #2
    I use the 9.9 Suzuki on my offshore boat as a kicker. Doesn't get many hours but maybe I can help?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
      I use the 9.9 Suzuki on my offshore boat as a kicker. Doesn't get many hours but maybe I can help?
      Although it isn't obstructed, I get no water through the telltale when running in a barrel, so I'm concerned about overheating the powerhead. Lower unit oil is good..prop shaft rotates freely with no slop. 170 compression on both cylinders. Supposed to be fewer than 50 hrs on it as a kicker/get home motor on a jet boat in the salt. I did a internet search and found several similar mentions but no solutions offered and original posters never posted back their findings. Have you experienced anything like this?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Garyak View Post
        Although it isn't obstructed, I get no water through the telltale when running in a barrel, so I'm concerned about overheating the powerhead. Lower unit oil is good..prop shaft rotates freely with no slop. 170 compression on both cylinders. Supposed to be fewer than 50 hrs on it as a kicker/get home motor on a jet boat in the salt. I did a internet search and found several similar mentions but no solutions offered and original posters never posted back their findings. Have you experienced anything like this?
        Dumb question, but did you try to clean out the telltale tube & fitting @ the motor?
        2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
        Twin 175 Suzuki's
        "Thunderbird"
        MMSI #338033856

        Comment


        • #5
          Not a dumb question, at all. I removed and inspected the tube. It was clear. I then re installed it and was able to freely blow air through the actual tell tale orifice which is much smaller than the inside diameter of the hose and feel it exit through the water intake on the underside of the anti cavitation plate. I was thinking that maybe the lower unit might have been worked on and re assembled in error, but I see no wrench tracks or scuffed paint, etc. I don't think it has ever been taken apart....odd.

          Comment


          • #6
            My family has had two of these motors (different boats, both still working). A few years ago I came across the same thing. I often thought that they were clogged and I took to inserting a herring needle or a fish hook to open them. Finally I took a drill bit and opened up the opening and I haven't had had one close up on me again.

            They are also subject to fuel in the carb and not starting, so I often drain the carb, and run marine stabil in my fuel to keep them running and starting easily.

            Sobie2

            Comment


            • #7
              That's interesting. I didn't mention that I took a pipe cleaner and gently probed inside. It came back moist, but there was no grunge or gunk on it. It was so easy to blow air through the system that I doubt it is blocked. This particular unit is remote control with power tilt...kind of a pita to have to remove the lower cowling to fiddle with any of it. I have a '99 Johnson 9.9 remote, manual tilt made by Suzuki that has the spin on oil filter and seems to be set up in a much more user friendly fashion. Some of this "reduce weight and lower profile" stuff seems like a step backwards, to me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Does that motor have a thermostat that is holding water back until it gets warm? I have a lil mercy that does that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cresent Hills View Post
                  Does that motor have a thermostat that is holding water back until it gets warm? I have a lil mercy that does that.
                  I don't know. I've never had an outboard that didn't start expelling water from the tell tale within a few seconds. I downloaded a manual on the net that doesn't address any of my concerns. I rigged up a different container so the pick up was about 8 inches underwater...let it run for about 4 minutes before I shut it down. No change. I'm going to call the guys in Spenard that sell Suzuki tomorrow and see if I can get it checked out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Kind of an obvious question, but did you check the water pump?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Honestly, that was the 1st thing I considered but I'm not all that sharp of a mechanic...so, no, I didn't open it up. For such a low time unit, I felt it would be doubtful it was the water pump. Doesn't mean that someone didn't run it out of the water and fry the pump, though. That could be it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Garyak View Post
                        Honestly, that was the 1st thing I considered but I'm not all that sharp of a mechanic...so, no, I didn't open it up. For such a low time unit, I felt it would be doubtful it was the water pump. Doesn't mean that someone didn't run it out of the water and fry the pump, though. That could be it.
                        That's exactly what I was thinking. Easy fix.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am telling you that the little plastic exit tube (tell tale opening) on the lower cowl for some odd reason has a tendency to close up, and the solution is to drill it out a little bit. Your impeller is fine and pumps water.

                          Sobie2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I appreciate your conviction, but when I ran it yesterday, I removed the tell tale hose at the block for about 2 of the 4 minutes and still got zip water.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had the exact same issue by the sound of it. I got zip out of the tell tale. I took it all apart and replaced the water pump even though it was in good shape. Took the tubes apart that i could get to and ran a wire through. I used compressed air as well. Thought I had it cleaned up good and put it together and into the bucket. As it started I got some water out of the tell tale and then nothing, zippo, nada. After banging my head against my boat a few times I thought it through. pump is good. No over heating. tubes are cleaned out so water has to be getting where it needs to go. It must be the tell tale itself. While the motor was running I shot compressed air through the tell tale opening. I could hear it bubbling in the barrel. After I stopped I got about half a stream out. I did it a couple of more times and then had a really powerful stream. I think I had some glacier sand or see weed bits that had worked its way to the tell tale and then dried between uses. I think it had gotten wet so when I hit it with air it went back the way it came and opened up. I will try the compressed air before I try anything else next time because it is quick, easy and cheap. I have an attachment for my hose that has a rubber end that works great for this. I bet you could use one of the compressed air cans that are used for cleaning electronics and do an on site fix as well. I hope this helps.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X