Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lewis Winch or Simpson Capstan Winch... or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis Winch or Simpson Capstan Winch... or other?

I have an 1860 MVJT SeaArk with a tiller Honda 90 jet. I am going moose hunting. I may need to winch around one or two log jams that can't be cut out. If I am luck I can bag a moose, I'll need to drag it back to the boat with the winch.

I am not sure if I should get a Lewis Winch (I already carry a Stihl MS460 saw), or get a Simpson Capstan?

I have about 1200' of Amsteel Blue laying around.

I could also mount a regular an ATV winch on the bow (not my preferred setup).

I also carry some 2" ABS pipe for easy sliding of the boat.

Sobie2

The Lewis set-up is heavy. I purchased one after seeing what they will do. The Lewis will pull my boat around with no issues, especially if you add a sheave and start doubling the capacity.
    The capstan look lighter but not sure of how much they will actually drag across ground.
    Either would be better than strong-arm the boat I suppose.
    BK
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

I have the simpson capstan winch and love it. 18lbs not counting rope or sheves, but it will easily pull my boat on single line and add a sheve,
      doubling the line pull it will pretty easily pull heavier boats. Not sure how long a tank of fuel lasts, I ran two summers on a single tank of gas with some
      substantial winching before I ever refilled the little tank. They are not cheap, but absolutely worth every penny in my book. As for dragging a moose throught the woods it wouldnt even break a sweet, you will only be limitted by rope and anchor points. Do not use amsteel or anyother plastic rope
      it will melt it to the drum, yes ii found out the hard way. I just use the braided 3/8" rope that aih sells and it works great. I carry several 100ft sections and 0ne 300ft sections and as i found out sometimes you will need it all.haha
      Hope this helps and please dont hesitate to holler if you want more info.
      Mike

Comment

Those wee Simpson capstans look like the way to go. The Portable Winch Company units look similar, but are heavier and cost much more.
        If there was a dealer here, I'd buy a Simpson tomorrow. I can't believe they are only 18 lbs.
        Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Comment

Simpson capstan is a great winch pulled our extreme shallow over 1000' over little to no water.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukoner View Post
            Those wee Simpson capstans look like the way to go. The Portable Winch Company units look similar, but are heavier and cost much more.If there was a dealer here, I'd buy a Simpson tomorrow. I can't believe they are only 18 lbs.
            The price to have one shipped is still cheaper than buying one here in Alaska. I paid 980.00 (that's with shipping) a few days later I had mine.

Fairbanks area charges around 1200.00

The first time I seen one in action was HCL winching from a few inches of water, and as soon as I got home I ordered one.

http://www.capstanropewinch.com/

The Lewis winch is still limited to barrel line and the pulling power gets less and less as it fills.

The Capstan is endless and limited to the length of rope used and has a pulling power of 2000 lbs, with a pully its 4000 pounds, it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
              The price to have one shipped is still cheaper than buying one here in Alaska. I paid 980.00 (that's with shipping) a few days later I had mine.

Fairbanks area charges around 1200.00

The first time I seen one in action was HCL winching from a few inches of water, and as soon as I got home I ordered one.

The Lewis winch is still limited to barrel line and the pulling power gets less and less as it fills.

The Capstan is endless and limited to the length of rope used and has a pulling power of 2000 lbs, with a pully its 4000 pounds, it works.

Comment

I hope this doesn't sidetrack the OP's question, but I'm reading with interest. I've been thinking about a winch setup for my boat for our occasional Yukon trips and wondering how you attach to the boat and/or anchor points. In the past I've heard a few guys talk about hitch receivers on their boats that can accept the winch, are many of you using that...or are you somehow anchoring the winch to ground and pulling the boat from there?
                "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

With the Lewis winch, obviously the chainsaw is handy to have as well since we carry the blade and chain so it serves double duty as both the winch and saw. The Lewis will pull 4000# as advertised, no issues at all. Throw a shave in the equation and you now have 8000# pull.
                  I don't need to mount the Lewis to the boat, just chain it anywhere to the boat and you start pulling...no reciever as I do not want to pull straight ahead most of the time.
                  Also use the Lewis at the cabin to pull trees over, stumps, etc.... pretty handy piece of equipment.
                  The pull is NOT limited to the length on the drum, add as much line on the end of the hook to suit your needs. We carry 200' of line with a clip and now have 250' of reach.
                  Again, I think either are great tools, just happens the Lewis was a better tool for our boat and situation.
                  BK
                  BK Marine Services 232-6399
                  Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                  Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                  Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

The company that sells the simpson (Capstan) winch also sell the CS-CW model which is a chain type winch, its a capstan also, not a barrel drum type. Quite frankly anything that get you free from a sand/gravel bar is a good thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capstan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	2492782

Comment

The company that sells the simpson (Capstan) winch also sell the CS-CW model which is a chain type winch, its a capstan also, not a barrel drum type. Quite frankly anything that get you free from a sand/gravel bar is a good thing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80875[/ATTACH]
                      I have one like this and have been very happy with it. Plus I get to have a chainsaw along for only the added weight of the bar and chain, 2 tools for the weight of one.
                      "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                        I have one like this and have been very happy with it. Plus I get to have a chainsaw along for only the added weight of the bar and chain, 2 tools for the weight of one.
                        Stid, several years ago I saw a video from a Yukon/Koyukuk hunt was that your Video? If so I see you've moved the come along to back seat. Nice winches to save the hard pulls. Will you re-post it.

Comment

Stid, several years ago I saw a video from a Yukon/Koyukuk hunt was that your Video? If so I see you've moved the come along to back seat. Nice winches to save the hard pulls. Will you re-post it.
                          Here ya go,, used that same come-a-long again this year. Sometimes it is hard to beat a light come-a-long..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQt...IOuU_8TVDhD0_Q

This years moose, did add a pulley block to double the pull.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

The video is blocked and after signing into you tube its still unavailable, not sure if its my computer or the link.

Nice moose, was that in the FB area?

Comment

Have done several "water moose" with a come along ...... a big bull does not come out of the water very easy. Now I take a Lewis winch. It's heavy and a PITA the find room for in the boat ...... but worth it if you need it.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X