Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard fuel filter question

Ok, maybe a silly question...
    I'm installing a canister type fuel filter/water separator on my boat with a 50hp Yamaha outboard. I use portable tanks. Do I want the filter in line before or after the priming bulb?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Originally posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Ok, maybe a silly question...
    I'm installing a canister type fuel filter/water separator on my boat with a 50hp Yamaha outboard. I use portable tanks. Do I want the filter in line before or after the priming bulb?
    Mine are both after the primer bulbs.

Comment

Good question. I put mine before the bulbs on both the 115 main and the 9.9 kicker. Been using it 6 years. I do not know the correct answer.The issue that I could see is if your filter became restricted you bulb may collapse, similar to what happens if you do not have a vent on you tank. I would be interested in knowing what the correct answer is and if it matters.

My main tank go to one filter input and my portable tank can plug into the other input. Both have a shutoff valve. I then I have 2 output lines with a line going to the main and to the kicker, both have a shutoff valve and a priming bulb. Having the extra input line makes it easier to carry extra gas and not have to worry about trying to pour it into a tank when it is rocking and rolling.

Comment

I plumbed mine after the primer bulb, but I don't recall any particular reason. Like Ken I have both the main tank and a portable tank feed going to the filter with valves and just a single output as my kicker is a two stroke and runs pre-mix. The downside is I have two primer bulbs, but I guess that also gives me a backup.
        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

I just recently re-plumbed mine so the bulb is between the filter and the motor, so far works fine.
          "FREEDOM" Only those that are denied truly know what it means.

Comment

The only difference I can see is the possibility of a piece of crud getting lodged in a check valve in the bulb and allowing backflow after engine shutdown. No big deal, that is what the bulb is there for. When I had my outboards, the filter was after the bulb and I never had an issue because of it.

Comment

Wooldridge's factory install on my boat has the bulb between the filter and the motor.
              "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

My Hewescraft came rigged with the bulbs before the filters. Honestly, I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way.

Comment

My Kingfisher has them between the filters and motor.
                  2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks guys.
                    Posted the same question on a Yamaha outboard forum. Combining the two forums there are 9 answers. 5 have the bulb between the tank & filter. 4 have the bulb between the filter & motor. None have ever had a problem related to their bulb location choice. Sounds like it's just a matter of which will be simpler to rig in my case. My father in law bought the boat new (20' Koffler Lite sled) in 87, & replaced the original 2 stroke with the new 4 stroke in 2004 (pretty low hours. Under 100 I believe. He was 82 when he put it on). He never installed an inline filter. Had some serious water related carb problems to deal with this season. I hope to use this boat on a moose hunt up north in a year or two.
                    Thanks for the input!
                    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

I'd think with the bulb between the tank and filter you can use the bulb to prime the filter after a element change.
                      sigpic
                      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                      alaskashrimppots.com
                      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                      907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by JR2 View Post
                        My Kingfisher has them between the filters and motor.
                        same here on the seasport
                        In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Here's a quagmire, I don't have a bulb on my fuel system. Perhaps it's because the Mercury Verado has two fuel pumps, sorry not much help.
                          Jay
                          07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                          OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

Doesn't matter, before or after, the bubble will either PUSH fuel threw the filter or DRAW the fuel through it.
                            The bigger question is .....Do you have your primer bulb mounted correctly?
                            sigpic
                            www.aluminumalloyboats.com

Comment

Originally posted by breausaw View Post
                              Here's a quagmire, I don't have a bulb on my fuel system. Perhaps it's because the Mercury Verado has two fuel pumps, sorry not much help.
                              I don't have a bulb for my Verado either. You don't need one with those engines.

I have a bulb for my Yamaha 90 on my 15' whaler though; It's between the tank and filter. Honestly though it doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X