26' Hewes Alaskan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26' Hewes Alaskan

Thinkin about a possible upgrade to a 26' Hewes with the new 4 cylinder 200 hp Yamahas; anyone here have one? The motors are new enough that there are no performance bulletins or real fuel numbers for that boat/power package.

Absolutely love my 24' but having a head would be nice for running fishing trips. Anyway would like to jump on a 26' for a ride if someone has one here in Homer, would spring for gas or beer money, doesn't have to have the 200's but would be nice to see how the 26' compares for ride and how much water it draws being a bit heavier boat (I run mine as a water taxi and often do trips into Humpy Creek and other shallow locales)
    Thanks-Jim
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I just bought a new 26 Alaskan with twin 150s, and holy cow is that a lot of power!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
      Thinkin about a possible upgrade to a 26' Hewes with the new 4 cylinder 200 hp Yamahas; anyone here have one? The motors are new enough that there are no performance bulletins or real fuel numbers for that boat/power package.

Absolutely love my 24' but having a head would be nice for running fishing trips. Anyway would like to jump on a 26' for a ride if someone has one here in Homer, would spring for gas or beer money, doesn't have to have the 200's but would be nice to see how the 26' compares for ride and how much water it draws being a bit heavier boat (I run mine as a water taxi and often do trips into Humpy Creek and other shallow locales)
      Thanks-Jim
      Talking to a gentleman at the Homer launch ramp. He had a new Toleman 24 or 26 ft and a new 200 Yam... He wasn't too happy, said it was using a lot of oil.

Comment

Long ago I learned an important criteria for twins.

Will one alone plane the boat?

I was a long way from home when I lost one of the twins, and the second one simply didn't have enough guts to plane the heavy boat. Running 30 miles at 30 MPH is no big deal. But try it on the return at 8 MPH.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

I really like my 26' Alaskan and I have twin 115's. Yeah it's a bit underpowered but it does just fine. Twin 200's would be amazing.
          27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
          Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
          Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
          MMSI# 338232859

Comment

I had what you're talking about, but sold it a couple of months ago. PM me with any specific questions.
            "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Comment

I have a 26' alaskan with twin 115's I to would like more power but to be able to plane on one motor begs the question, why do would you need two motors if you can plane on one?

Comment

The dealers push twins for one reason, profits. A single with kicker is way more economical all the way around, granted the kicker represents a slow return to port but a return under power is way better then a tow. My kicker ties into my main with a snap on rod, it also charges the batteries and I can use the autopilot. So yes the trip home will be slow but relatively painless. I think of the kicker as a $2000 insurance policy hanging on the transom, way less expensive then having two large outboards that could both be disabled under certain conditions, than what do you do?
                Jay
                07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

Forget the Hewescraft. They belong on lakes IMHO. Buy a 25' Parker or C Hawk and do yourself a favor. You'll get more boat for your money. Put an aluminum pod on the back with single or dual outboards and your set for some heavy weather.

Comment

Nope, got 2634 hrs on my Hewes (original motors) and I would never hesitate to buy another.
                    Aluminum is king here for what we do. With trim tabs my boat will handle weather that keeps the charter fleet in the bay. Is that fun? No it isn't but I have complete faith in its low center of gravity and capability.
                    They are often under appreciated but I put on 1000 hrs per season and I think I'm fairly qualified to say although they lack flair they are great at what they do. I just need a bit bigger boat with a head but need to get the economy I do now (6-7.7 gph total).
                    If I was chartering longer offshore fishing trips yeah I'd love a Parker. They are awesome and have seen them handle heavy weather.

As for the twins vs single, I just like the twins. Torque is nice for heavy loads, sounds great when synced, and it's not common to whack something that takes out both motors although you would think that being they are mounted close together, just doesn't happen often at all considering all the tidal places and multiple beach landings 7 days a week thru the summer. As stated, go with twins that will plane the boat on one. No one has mentioned prop pitch and that's crucial to getting the boat on step even with not high hp motors. Everyone should carry spare props and not a bad idea to carry em with higher pitched props.
                    I have 4 different set of props and each has its place.

Except for the possibility of the new 200 yamaha 2.8 there isn't a 200 hp motor I know of that will touch the economy I get at 22-24 kts.
                    The boat just plain defies logic when it comes to the economy I get with 19" pitch props. As the season lightens up on heavy loads, will scotch to 21" props. Better cruise mph at same rpm's.
                    Last edited by Big Jim; 08-17-2014, 13:05. Reason: More info
                    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Comment

I've had a 18' Arima with twin 50s (powered just right) a 22' Hewescraft with a 115 (way under powered), a 24' Seasport with a 300hp I/O (nice power but I didn't like all the moving parts that come with an I/O) and now we have a 24' Pacific Cruiser with a 300 Yami and a 9.9 kicker on order. I understand the thinking on twins but the major brand outboards are fairly bullet proof and if you're running into rocks then it's pretty likely you will take out both lower units if you are running twins. I know the 300 is the maximum hp for this boat but after having a boat that was under powered I vowed to NEVER do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by TriIron View Post
                        I know the 300 is the maximum hp for this boat but after having a boat that was under powered I vowed to NEVER do that again.
                        Everyone say it together......... I (state your name) will never buy another piece of underpowered equipment again.......

Amen and god bless.

Learned this the hard way mostly with snogo's and trucks but I'm all learned up now, 225 on my 22 ft Raider hardtop, goes great.

Comment

Awesome Catch it! Star for the day for you.
                          Like I said one would think twins about as susceptible to damage as a single but from experience it just isn't typically the case.
                          Next boat would go max hp hands down.
                          Tri iron, bet she scoots pretty well! What kind of fuel #'s are ya gettin with what pitch prop?

Comment

We ordered the boat last month. Delivery is scheduled for the first week of October on the ferry to Haines. Just purchased a 2007 Dodge 2500 turbo diesel that is the most cherry vehicle I've ever seen...We'll be out doing some late season trips. We'll post the fuel numbers..

Comment

Originally posted by Old John View Post
                              Talking to a gentleman at the Homer launch ramp. He had a new Toleman 24 or 26 ft and a new 200 Yam... He wasn't too happy, said it was using a lot of oil.
                              Could be that the rings have not seated yet. I had a new truck that used 1 qt per 1,000 miles for about 5k miles and then things settled down to normal.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X