Towing a sport jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a sport jet

As the new owner of a Wooldridge Alaskan XL SJ I have a question. I was reading the Mercury manual and it's states that you should not tow a sport jet equipped boat at high speed? I'm hoping to never to have to tow my beautiful machine but "s&$t happens". Has anyone heard of a sport jet being damaged from high speed towing?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Seems like a fairly relative statement, I suspect at any normal towing speed you'll be just fine, I don't own a sprit jet but I've seen a few towed on the Snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The mercury manual says engine damage is possible with high speed towing
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
      Unknown author

Comment

I would assume the way to hurt it is to force water into the jet intake then in cooling intake then into motor
        Unknown author

Comment

Has anyone seen this happen
          Unknown author

Comment

I had to have my SJX towed years back because the fuel pump went out and larry at the deshka landing towed and he was on step didnt hurt my boat at all.
            Is it opening day of duck season yet
            Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Comment

Thanks skybust.
              Unknown author

Comment

No problem
                Is it opening day of duck season yet
                Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Comment

I had a 20' Boulton River Skiff with a sportjet 175 towed through 18 miles of ocean with no problems. It wasn't "high speed" it was hull speed.

Comment

Didn't Bob The Fisher (I think it was him) have a problem with this a year or two ago? I remember he had some serious engine damage, but I don't recall what the cause was...could be towing?

Comment

Dunno a Sport Jet from a sports bra, but as an outsider looking in I'd be thinking about some kind of "boot" I could pull over it and lash in place for towing.
                      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                      Merle Haggard

Comment

It would be worth a swim to attach the boot if It saved a motor rebuild.
                        Unknown author

Comment

I'm guessing towing it fast enough will allow the impeller to overcome the compression in the cylinders and start spinning the crank w/out oil injection? Running the engine more or less dry?
                          Wonder if a guy made a plug somehow that you could bolt in place at the nozzle to prevent the water movement through? Or maybe one of those inflatable rubber test plugs used for testing ABS drainage pipe?
                          Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Comment

My issue was hydrolock, supposedly caused by too much water pressure from my hose water pressure at the house when flushing, er sumtin. Nothing to do with towin... "Fishon"
                            Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                            Didn't Bob The Fisher (I think it was him) have a problem with this a year or two ago? I remember he had some serious engine damage, but I don't recall what the cause was...could be towing?
                            "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the fisher View Post
                              My issue was hydrolock, supposedly caused by too much water pressure from my hose water pressure at the house when flushing, er sumtin. Nothing to do with towin... "Fishon"
                              Ah. I knew that something bad had happened...couldn't remember the specifics.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X