Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vibration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vibration

    I'm having a vibration when I put my engine in gear and fist start accelerating, also having a hard time getting on step. Boat is a 24' Bayliner with a 5.0 I/O Alpha 1. Running a 16" pitch prop but didn't have any issues until last weekend when we had a guest aboard and again this weekend with 2 guest. Had to move people around to get weight distributed just right so the boat would get up on step. I'm thinking a 14" pitch prop may fix the acceleration to step issue, but the vibration has me a little worried. Does anyone have any ideas what may be the cause of the vibration?
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

  • #2
    You damaged the prop on the last trip without realizing it? Have you inspected the prop?

    Comment


    • #3
      have you had boat for awhile and have you had others in the boat when you did not have step issues? Have you turned your prop when on the trailer to check is the shaft is bent?
      sigpic
      Sweepint
      Wasilla,
      '' Livn' The Dream ''
      26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

      Comment


      • #4
        U joints ?? turn your wheel hard over and put it in gear, listen for the growl.
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

        Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the responses. No damage to the prop; I check it each time in and out. Last two trips out we have had guest aboard and had step issues as well as vibration, 4 trips out before, we were alone and no issues or vibration. As soon as I felt the vibration, I suspected it could be a U joint, haven't done the hard turn test. Can I do that test out of the water with the engine flush attached, or do I have to do it in the water?
          “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

          Comment


          • #6
            First thing I thought of was the U-joints too.
            sigpic
            www.arcticangler.ca
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OKElkHunter View Post
              Thanks for the responses. No damage to the prop; I check it each time in and out. Last two trips out we have had guest aboard and had step issues as well as vibration, 4 trips out before, we were alone and no issues or vibration. As soon as I felt the vibration, I suspected it could be a U joint, haven't done the hard turn test. Can I do that test out of the water with the engine flush attached, or do I have to do it in the water?
              in the water at idle.
              sigpic
              Alaska Shrimp Pots

              Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
              Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
              Ropes, Buoys, Bait
              alaskashrimppots.com
              akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
              907 775 1692

              Comment


              • #8
                A vibration and lack of power show up together.....Is this thing running on all cylinders? A missfire can and will cause both of these at once. How long has the 5.0 been running on that distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires? I'd be checking the basics first....like does it have compression, fuel, and spark. However, I was thinking ujoints too with the vibration.....LOL....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mine was idling rough and would not get on step and it turned out to be the distributor had rotated as the hold down bolt was loose.

                  Patriot Life Member NRA
                  Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                  Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    maybe the prop hub is starting to spin/slip ?? If your having problems when you load the boat heavier maybe the hub wants to spin ??
                    sigpic
                    Alaska Shrimp Pots

                    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                    alaskashrimppots.com
                    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                    907 775 1692

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great advice from all. Thanks everyone.
                      I'll be making lots of checks over the next few days to isolate and fix the problem. This is the 2nd season on the distributer, wires and plugs. I should also check the timing too, it is idling a little low and gotten hard to start sometimes. Fuel economy has droppped off too.

                      BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand
                      “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sure sounds like engine trouble to me. For a guest or two to make such a difference in a 24' I/O with no known prop damage, I'd have to guess you've got a serious loss of power. Easy to imagine a 4-banger turned 3-banger vibrating like crazy.
                        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                        Merle Haggard

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not vibrating like crazy, just a mild vibration when you first put it in gear and start accelerating, smooths out as RPM increase. I am able to get up to MAX RPM once on step and I'm able to back down to 3800 and stay on step and maintain 22-23 knots with guest. No miss that I can tell. I'm starting to think its tune-up time and I need to check U-Joints. The 16 pitch prop is a little steep for a heavy load according to the prop guy. I have lots of checks to make, thats for sure, but the engine sounds good and idles smooth, just low.
                          “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
                            A vibration and lack of power show up together.....Is this thing running on all cylinders? A missfire can and will cause both of these at once. How long has the 5.0 been running on that distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires? I'd be checking the basics first....like does it have compression, fuel, and spark. However, I was thinking ujoints too with the vibration.....LOL....
                            Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                            Sure sounds like engine trouble to me. For a guest or two to make such a difference in a 24' I/O with no known prop damage, I'd have to guess you've got a serious loss of power. Easy to imagine a 4-banger turned 3-banger vibrating like crazy.
                            Originally posted by OKElkHunter View Post
                            Great advice from all. Thanks everyone.
                            I'll be making lots of checks over the next few days to isolate and fix the problem. This is the 2nd season on the distributer, wires and plugs. I should also check the timing too, it is idling a little low and gotten hard to start sometimes. Fuel economy has droppped off too.

                            BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand
                            Yep, a V8 that loses 1 cylinder will turn into a very out of balance V7 and if there is crossfire igniton happening, all the worse. Is this a Vortec engine, or HEI and carb? About the engine sounding fine and idling smooth, ignition breakdown/misfire is often undetectable at idle (without a scope)and not make itself evident until the engine is under load. Having additional weight as you described on the past two trips could very well have been the tipping point to make the weakness noticeable to you.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by .338WM View Post
                              Yep, a V8 that loses 1 cylinder will turn into a very out of balance V7 and if there is crossfire igniton happening, all the worse. Is this a Vortec engine, or HEI and carb? About the engine sounding fine and idling smooth, ignition breakdown/misfire is often undetectable at idle (without a scope)and not make itself evident until the engine is under load. Having additional weight as you described on the past two trips could very well have been the tipping point to make the weakness noticeable to you.
                              HEI with Carb
                              “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X