Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue plastic ducks found beachcombing; Anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue plastic ducks found beachcombing; Anyone else?

I just returned from a long trip in the Sound that included beach-combing on some pretty remote stretches of coastline. On two different beaches, 50 miles or more apart, I found a small blue plastic toy duck with a number written on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ducky_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2513244 Click image for larger version

Name:	ducky_2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	2513245

My initial assumption was that the floating toy ducks were part of an ocean current experiment, and that a quick Google search would take me to a web site where I could let them know, "I found your duck # such-and-such as these coordinates" and then see where the duck came from, and where all his little ducky friends drifted to.

Instead, everything I can find online has to do with the 28,000 bathtub toys lost off a container ship in the early 1990's, and where they drifted over the ensuing decade-plus.

So, has anyone here ever come across a blue plastic duck with a number on the bottom? Any clue where they came from, or why?
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Google "Rubber Ducky Race" and you will see some results that may make sense. Now, as far as them arriving way up there, I guess they could have been taken out to see if the race was on a river and sent adrift.

Comment

They have a "Duck Race" every year on the Chena River here in Fairbanks.
      "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Yellow ducks in the Rotary race here, but set up is the same.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

I thought they used a net to catch them,, but them rubber ducks can be sneaky, saw a Dr on TV remove one from a person in the ER.
          "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X