boat prep for fiberglass folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ocnfish View Post
    Post has taken a right turn .... in my opinion that is OK. First .... I actually am getting an education in gelcoat from CAC Plastics (Steve is the best) and I do enjoy when people to come up to me at the docks and want to know if it is a new boat and laugh as I tell them that she is 11 years old. It can be done and there is a good answer to Fiberglass restoration and preseveration.

Beyond that I have a Volvo Penta 290 outdrive with SS #3 props and a 5.7 GI injected 280 hp engine(518 hours), the outdrive is new as of last fall and has about 4 hours on it. Because of all that I think the boat came from Osprey with a leak in the mount that supports the outdrive. Water moves from aft forward and that can only mean the drainage plug, redid that with good marine silicon, or the swim platform or the outdrive mount, going to jack the nose up tomorrow and put some fresh water in the back to see anything obvious. I think she gets water in the engine compartment faster when we are under way but it still accumulates when we are at anchor.

Also the Raw water pump and fittings, hoses and clamps are good, have checked that out at rest in Thumbs cove water moved from back to front, raw water is infront of the engine.

Still a head scratch but your info might help.

Thanks
    I thought you had the diesel. If you find its leaking around the transom shield or through the swim step bolts i'd be concerned about a waterlogged transom core(most likely plywood). Hope it isn't any of those. I would check the steering helmet bushing though
    sigpic
    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Comment

If it matters .... Jacked up the boat until the first axel on the King trailer was spinning free, unhooked all electrical (3 batterys) with the plug in filled the engine compartment to the stringers that are the motor mount support, no leaks anywhere after lots of gallons of fresh water, most of the way to the resting water line.

This is the puzzle, more water coming in while in cruze, less when anchored up, coming from the aft? What other thru the hull fittings are close by and could get water into the engine compartment? There is a drain going from the topside/outside of each fish box of the thru the hull fitting, keeps water from rain and spray from getting into the fish boxes . Driver side, I believe starboard, the view after removing the rodholder plastic was real damp to say the least. The bottom of the fishboxes have the drain to the macerator pump and they held, well, really nasty water, all winter until I started to think about getting back out on the watter, I think that these drains , especially the starboard one are letting salt water into the boat, and this was an issue from ..... I believe , day one.

Today, I used 3-M 5200 selant / caulk to seal all access to the hull from anything going thru the hull. I placed 1 & 1/4 inch plugs in those at or blow the water line fittings for fishbox drainage. Need to let the 3 M selant harden and Thursday it is off again to Seward to see if I found ther source of my problem.

BTW ... Potbuilder .... You were right to be concerned about the steering .... Matt at SHIP in Seward said that that could create a one way leak, but with my boat that connection is at the top of the outdrive it is above the waterline.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I to have alittle bit a water getting in some how.
        Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Comment

BTW ... Potbuilder .... You were right to be concerned about the steering .... Matt at SHIP in Seward said that that could create a one way leak, but with my boat that connection is at the top of the outdrive it is above the waterline.[/QUOTE]

Water will slosh in when your on the drift or anchored. Thats why i told ya to back down hard with it to see if any water comes in.
          sigpic
          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
          Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
          alaskashrimppots.com
          akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
          907 775 1692

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...