Shrimping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimping

How deep do you set your shrimp pots in PWS.

I usually set mine between 400 and 500 feet deep. I basically try for 450 and sometimes they drift shallower, sometimes they drift deeper.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

It all depends on what you are targeting. Right now I am looking for Spots so I am hitting 300-400 feet on rocky bottoms with a good slope. If I was targeting Coon Stripes some people set pretty shallow on muddy bottoms as shallow as 125-200 feet.

If I did not know the area, I'd set my first pot in 350 and goes towards shore dropping my last pot in 200 feet. (I set five pot strings.) Then when I pick them up, which ever pot does the best, lay the entire string at that depth.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

5 to 7 for me, steep & deep, i like fishing rocky bottom, never had pots drift uphill, i'm not good enough setting gear to hold one depth but where i like to fish it goes from 500 to 800+ in less than a 5 pot line length. One thing i've seen with the "hold the depth" theory is either you load up or its a suck set, i personally like fishing over edges(your results may vary !!)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P6260404.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	2491699
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]78438[/ATTACH]
          Well that sure is a new way to weight your pots Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by akfshklr View Post
            Well that sure is a new way to weight your pots Steve!
            I want weight on the way down not on the way up. A least not rock weight !
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

Comment

I like to try multiple sets from 650 on up in steep and deep. I average between 10-20 shrimp per pot on a 6hr soak. I usually only find shrimp up to 450ft. haven't had any luck with anything shallower than that. Im still looking for that magical sweet spot. I seem to eat threw them faster than I can catch them.

Comment

Pulled these tasty critters from 350' down on a steep rock slope on Sunday. Boy were they tasty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1590.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2491706

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X