X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frostbitten
    replied
    Originally posted by kodiakbound View Post
    I thought the same thing, but I've had that same exact set up for 2 years now with no problems
    It's not unheard of that the unit itself goes bad, been there done that!. If you've determined it's not a transducer related problem, contact the manufacturer. I spent an entire summer chasing what I thought was a transducer gremlin, turned out the unit itself (which was brand new) was bad and had to be re-built. If I hadn't spent almost $2K on the dang thing, it would be sitting at the bottom of PWS right now!

Leave a comment:

• kodiakbound
    replied
    I thought the same thing, but I've had that same exact set up for 2 years now with no problems

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    A thought just occurred to me. In your second photo (Actually #1) am I seeing two transducers side by side?

I'm wondering how close together they are.... If too close, turbulence from one could be interfering with the other when you're on step. Doesn't take much to make signals go haywire.

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    From what I know, sure looks good to me. Folks with lots more experience out there and I'd defer to them, but I'd be learning something new in the process.

Leave a comment:

• kodiakbound
    replied
    surely someone has an opinion on my mount compared to the straight edge

Leave a comment:

• kodiakbound
    replied
    transducer pics

What say you?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• kodiakbound
    replied
    Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Yup snagged one from work today and it worked like a charm. Did my rigger connections too. Will post results next time I get the boat wet. Big thanks again to all.

Leave a comment:

• DRIFTER_016
    replied
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't been using that, it's worth a shot. I did look at both the male and female pins on the connector and they looked crud free. Anyone have any tips for cleaning the small female pins on the connector?
    Gas welding tip cleaner.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...H575/100341101

Leave a comment:

• Garyak
    replied
    I made a couple changes. I left the paddle wheel where it was since it seems to function fine but did a little better job of filling in the radius between it and the transom bottom with sealant. I moved the transducer inboard about 3" using the 2 inboard holes to now be the outboard mounting holes. So I had to fill 2 holes and drill 2 new ones. This put me right at the 12" minimum per specs from the center line of the lower unit. I also lowered it about 1/8". Hopefully, this will make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Frostbitten
    replied
    Originally posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Even more basic, and I doubt this is the case as you seem to know your system well, but could the range setting be too shallow? Usually when underway, you are heading into and through deeper water. If you have kids on the boat, they love to mess with your settings Also, I hope you are using a split screen or have another chartplotter set to gps map so you can avoid asterisks = rocks!
    Thats a good point Ron. Additionally, some (most?) units also have settings to switch between salt and fresh water. These darn new fangled computer thingies are way more complicated than the old days.

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    ...tips for cleaning the small female pins on the connector?
    I grabbed an old Mepps spinner and cut the shaft (main wire) just above the hook. Dump everything off the shaft and you have a very stiff small diameter rod. Square the end and use it to plunge the holes. Probably something better and more "official" but what else are you going to do with old spinners?roud:

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Ron
    replied
    Even more basic, and I doubt this is the case as you seem to know your system well, but could the range setting be too shallow? Usually when underway, you are heading into and through deeper water. If you have kids on the boat, they love to mess with your settings Also, I hope you are using a split screen or have another chartplotter set to gps map so you can avoid asterisks = rocks!

Leave a comment:

• kodiakbound
    replied
    Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
    Something just wiggled my memory gland, Kevin....

Maybe too basic, but did you use dieiectric silicone grease on the plug between the unit and the transducer wire? I wasn't doing that a few years back and developed symptoms similar to yours- complete blackout on step. Cleaned the terminals and added the dielectric goop, and no problems since.
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't been using that, it's worth a shot. I did look at both the male and female pins on the connector and they looked crud free. Anyone have any tips for cleaning the small female pins on the connector?

Leave a comment:

• Garyak
    replied
    [QUOTE=breausaw;1391957]From looking at this picture your transducer looks like itís too far below the bottom of the hull, this could be a problem also. Normally it should be like ľ inch below the plain of the bottom at the leading edge than angle slightly down, check the installation specs.
    Like I said, perhaps itís just the orientation of the picture.

The paddle wheel looks too low also.

I would have someone look over the stern when youíre underway and see if wake radiates out from the paddle wheel to intersect with the transduer

It is picture orientation. There is an index line down the side of the transducer...I used a bottle jack to hold a straight edge in place defining the hull bottom plane and from that, installed the 'ducer and paddle wheel per instruction manual. Good idea to have someone look over the stern while under way. So far, I'm the only person who's been on board the thing. Spread a little too thin, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• breausaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Garyak View Post
    I installed it at the same time as the 'ducer so I've had the issue from day 1. I have exactly 2 inches I could move it outboard before the hull begins to upsweep...and even further if mounting it on the upsweep wouldn't hurt anything...but it would likely be out of the water during turns.
    From looking at this picture your transducer looks like itís too far below the bottom of the hull, this could be a problem also. Normally it should be like ľ inch below the plain of the bottom at the leading edge than angle slightly down, check the instalation specs.
    Like I said, perhaps itís just the orientation of the picture.

The paddle wheel looks too low also.

I would have someone look over the stern when youíre underway and see if wake radiates out from the paddle wheel to intersect with the transducer.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X