Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jet Impeller/Sleeve set up?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jet Impeller/Sleeve set up?

    So I took my boat in to have the annual maintenance conducted on my outboard (65hp yamaha). Today I recived the dreaded call that my shaft is bent. It was bent bad enough that there was "some difficulty" pulling the impeller off, but not so bad that I had no idea when it happened. The boat ran fine to my knowledge when I winterized it last year. The tech said it could have happened by sucking up a rock and "tweeking" the shaft. I do not doubt this theory at all. What I find suspect is for 5 years I ran an aluminum sleeve and stainless steel impeller and never had any issue. This time last year I made the switch to a poly lined sleeve(?) and a aluminum impeller. Sucking up rocks on the river is nothing new it happens several times every year. This is the only thing I can come up with. I have heard you shouldn't run a SS sleeve and a SS impeller together, but have no experiance with this set up.

    1. Do you guys think this was something freak that can happen with any set up?
    2. Do you think the combo of poly sleeve and aluminum impeller is inadequate?
    3. Is aluminum sleeve and SS impeller the preferred set up.

    All that being said I usually run the boat by myself, not a lot of weight, and have didn't notice any performance differences when I made the changes.

  • #2
    The poly sleeve and aluminum set up will offer you the most protection. You have give in everything. I run ss in the inboard with aluminum sleeve. I have hear performance gains with the ss sleeve but I like the give factor.
    I think this is a freak deal, could of been a hard stick
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by alaskabliss View Post
      The poly sleeve and aluminum set up will offer you the most protection. You have give in everything. I run ss in the inboard with aluminum sleeve. I have hear performance gains with the ss sleeve but I like the give factor.
      I think this is a freak deal, could of been a hard stick
      The Irony in this made me laugh. These were my original thoughts as well. not to mention the initial cost savings compaired to SS impeller. Thanks for you input.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by akhounddog View Post
        So I took my boat in to have the annual maintenance conducted on my outboard (65hp yamaha). Today I recived the dreaded call that my shaft is bent. It was bent bad enough that there was "some difficulty" pulling the impeller off, but not so bad that I had no idea when it happened. The boat ran fine to my knowledge when I winterized it last year. The tech said it could have happened by sucking up a rock and "tweeking" the shaft. I do not doubt this theory at all. What I find suspect is for 5 years I ran an aluminum sleeve and stainless steel impeller and never had any issue. This time last year I made the switch to a poly lined sleeve(?) and a aluminum impeller. Sucking up rocks on the river is nothing new it happens several times every year. This is the only thing I can come up with. I have heard you shouldn't run a SS sleeve and a SS impeller together, but have no experiance with this set up.

        1. Do you guys think this was something freak that can happen with any set up?
        2. Do you think the combo of poly sleeve and aluminum impeller is inadequate?
        3. Is aluminum sleeve and SS impeller the preferred set up.

        All that being said I usually run the boat by myself, not a lot of weight, and have didn't notice any performance differences when I made the changes.
        Just some question's

        How can your shaft be bent enough to make it so hard to get your impeller off and your impeller not eat your liner when it's running? How did it get bent so bad and you have no idea when it happened? How did a rock big enough to bend your stainless shaft get thru your grate and you not know it? The last question for now how did a rock small enough to fit between your liner and impeller ( 0.030 ) bend your stainless shaft? The question's that came to mind when I read your post. Glen
        www.wooldridgeboats.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Now I'm not saying you don't have a bent shaft, but when I ran an outboard jet, the impeller was usually stuck on the shaft when ever I went to take it apart. Even with the 3 stage inboard jet I have now the impellers are stuck on the shaft when I go to take it apart. The reason my stuff was and is stuck has nothing to do with bent shafts but is due to the super fine silt we have in the rivers around here. It works its way into everything and acts like super glue. The trick that I was taught by River Boat Ron was to get my dead blow hammer or stick or even a rock and start tapping on stuff until it jarred loose. You start banging and the impellers seems like they are welded on but pretty soon they start vibrating a little and then they loosen up and off they come. If you try to use a puller of some kind, it takes a tremendous amount of force to get the impellers to move and in the end I suspect its actually the banging around of the puller and wrenches that does the trick.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm calling BS on their diagnosis.
            How could a bent shaft cause issues for removing the impeller on an OBJ pump? To get it off, you need to pull the foot and liner, then there is no restriction to pull it.
            The threaded portion of the shat that the nut threads onto is a smaller OD, so it would have to be bent way over to prohibit removal. And how could the shaft have gotten bent inside the impeller itself? That cold lock it on, but bending the impeller itself?
            The forces need to bend that shaft would result in a broken intake foot or bowl at the very least.
            I think it was just seized as munsell said.
            Fighting gravity is never cheap.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree with the others, a bent shaft is going to cause serious wear on the the impeller and wear ring, and probably contact that will be felt and heard if the impeller is shimmed to the proper tolerances. I've seen my impellers seriously stuck to the shaft before and had to pry them off with no bent shaft. Seized impellers are common, my dad had an old jet that my brother and I couldn't force the impeller off of. We're thinking of heating it up or cutting the impeller off the shaft it is so seized.

              Comment


              • #8
                [QUOTE=fishslayer;1389314]I agree with the others, a bent shaft is going to cause serious wear on the the impeller and wear ring, and probably contact that will be felt and heard if the impeller is shimmed to the proper tolerances. I've seen my impellers seriously stuck to the shaft before and had to pry them off with no bent shaft. Seized impellers are common, my dad had an old jet that my brother and I couldn't force the impeller off of. We're thinking of heating it up or cutting the impeller off the shaft it is so seized





                Heat up the core of the impeller till you melt the plastic sleeve between the impeller and the shaft. The impeller should slide off. You will need a new plastic sleeve. Glen
                www.wooldridgeboats.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  So I may have misunderstood the mechanical issues regardign the shaft. what I can add to is that there was difficulty removing the foot/sleeve/impeller assembly from the motor, and there was damage to the sleeve. The replacement of the shaft is a moot point, its all ready being done. I have requested to keep the shaft so I can inspect it and have it straightened for a later use if needed. Again the main topic was for your input on the what type of sleeve and impeller to run. Thanks again

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by akhounddog View Post
                    So I may have misunderstood the mechanical issues regardign the shaft. what I can add to is that there was difficulty removing the foot/sleeve/impeller assembly from the motor, and there was damage to the sleeve. The replacement of the shaft is a moot point, its all ready being done. I have requested to keep the shaft so I can inspect it and have it straightened for a later use if needed. Again the main topic was for your input on the what type of sleeve and impeller to run. Thanks again
                    Hope I didn't sound like I was throwing rock's. It's just very hard to bent a shaft in a O.B. jet. I don't remember the last time I heard of one. IMO stainless impeller's are not a problem with outboard jet shaft's. If so you would see lot's of bent shaft's as most large H.P. Outboard jet's have stainless impellers. Glad your's is all fixed. Glen
                    www.wooldridgeboats.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It may be a moot point now, but I think the message from experienced outboard jet operators here is that you may be getting a shaft replacement that was unwarranted. Boating is costly enough without having to fork out money to replace things that are not broke.

                      Tom

                      Originally posted by akhounddog View Post
                      So I may have misunderstood the mechanical issues regardign the shaft. what I can add to is that there was difficulty removing the foot/sleeve/impeller assembly from the motor, and there was damage to the sleeve. The replacement of the shaft is a moot point, its all ready being done. I have requested to keep the shaft so I can inspect it and have it straightened for a later use if needed. Again the main topic was for your input on the what type of sleeve and impeller to run. Thanks again

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cresent Hills View Post
                        It may be a moot point now, but I think the message from experienced outboard jet operators here is that you may be getting a shaft replacement that was unwarranted. Boating is costly enough without having to fork out money to replace things that are not broke.

                        Tom
                        Cresent Hills
                        Are you serious!!! With no other information your saying a shop rip off Akhounddog because a couple of guys say it very hard to bent a shaft that was replaced.

                        Interesting...........

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Guys any work that I have done is done at Big Lake Power sports or Greatland welding. I have never been done wrong by either one of them thus why they will continue to get my busness. If you guys have been done wrong let me know, who do you recommend? I should have known I wouldnt be able to ask a question on this forum without the trolls coming out and telling me I was being taking to the cleaners. I think its funny that you assume Im a inexperienced outboard Jet operator, which by the looks of it none of the "experienced outboard jet operators" that have posted so far have had any experience with a bent shat. SO that would make you just as inexperienced as me. Again I just wanted to know the sleeve/impeller type combo that people have used. BUt hey thanks for the learning experiance. Next time I know to leave off my personal situation and just ask a vague question. On a side note the shaft has been verified 3party that it is bent, although Im sure that wont please the conspiracy theorists. You would naturally assume they must have bent it purposely.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was serious and if you can't take our constructive advice or experience, I doubt you would listen to our input on the impeller sleeve combo..

                            So I will not offer you any more personal input..

                            As for MacGyvers coment... It appears he does not know who is commenting...

                            Anything can happen But if Glen Wooldrige hasn't seen a bent shaft..... if must be pretty rare...

                            As for Trolls... a member since 2008 with 19 posts.... Interesting akhounddog..

                            Do as you wish.. you know more than us.

                            Tom




                            Originally posted by akhounddog View Post
                            Guys any work that I have done is done at Big Lake Power sports or Greatland welding. I have never been done wrong by either one of them thus why they will continue to get my busness. If you guys have been done wrong let me know, who do you recommend? I should have known I wouldnt be able to ask a question on this forum without the trolls coming out and telling me I was being taking to the cleaners. I think its funny that you assume Im a inexperienced outboard Jet operator, which by the looks of it none of the "experienced outboard jet operators" that have posted so far have had any experience with a bent shat. SO that would make you just as inexperienced as me. Again I just wanted to know the sleeve/impeller type combo that people have used. BUt hey thanks for the learning experiance. Next time I know to leave off my personal situation and just ask a vague question. On a side note the shaft has been verified 3party that it is bent, although Im sure that wont please the conspiracy theorists. You would naturally assume they must have bent it purposely.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Only wanted info on the sleeve/impeller, and yes 18 post. I can usually reseach old threads to find the info I need, this instance I couldnt. I dont have to have 1K post to read how people treat people here, thus why I usually dont. I would prefer to IM that way I dont have to deal with this BS. Not everybody on here trolled. I refer to the ones that were wearing blinders and disreguarded the essence of the questions and the topic to which no one has answered. Everybody is hung up on the shaft.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X