No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .338WM
    replied
    Thanks for all the ideas. Who would of though a brand new part would be bad right out of the box.
    See post #6. Or was that a rhetorical question?

Leave a comment:

• theultrarider
    replied
    Glad it turned out to be that simple. And it wouldn't be the first brand new starter I've had that was bad out of the box! Now go get you some shrimp!

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    I picked up the new starter and got her put in. Coated everything with Corrosion X and turned the key. Cranked it right over. Still would not start though. Forgot to fill the fuel filters when I changed them. Minor fix and she is purring right along now.

Thanks for all the ideas. Who would of though a brand new part would be bad right out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• theultrarider
    replied
    Or it has a bad bendix. Not unheard of. Just make sure they bench test the new one before you leave the store. Something tells me you will already do so!

Leave a comment:

• MGH55
    replied
    Not sure the parts store tested it right. If it was tested right it would have to move the drive for the relay to close for the starter to turn! Sounds like they bypassed to solenoid.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    I did discover that if I slipped a ratchet strap between the exhaust manifold and looped it around the starter, I could at least hold it up with the strap and my right hand. Makes it a whole lot easier having two hands to work with.

Leave a comment:

• theultrarider
    replied
    Sounds like you found your problem. Sucks to get brand new defective parts. Especially when you have to be a contortionist to install them!

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    So I yanked the NEW starter and took it back to the parts store for testing. It spun, but would not extend out. New starter coming tomorrow. Will have to see how that one does.

Leave a comment:

• Myers
    replied
    Batteries in an out winter/summer, with all the extra stuff stacked on the terminals vs a car battery with nothing but a black and red cable, you might check to see the battery terminal nuts are super tight! My kicker did this one year, just clicked, the battery terminal nut was loose.

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Originally posted by JR2 View Post
    You could just have a bad starter as well, just because new does not mean it's good.
    I had a bad new to me starter out of the box about 2 years ago on a Toyota pickup, that was very frustrating. It does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    90% of the time I've had electrical problems, its because of a bad ground. Just had this same problem on my 69 firebird. Cleaned up the ground to the engine and boom.
    Oh My God a 69 Firebird...!!! I'm in love...!!! Pics....we must have pics...!!!

Leave a comment:

• tlingitwarrior
    replied
    90% of the time I've had electrical problems, its because of a bad ground. Just had this same problem on my 69 firebird. Cleaned up the ground to the engine and boom.

Leave a comment:

• akmike30
    replied
    Pull the starter and bench test it...

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by JR2 View Post
    You could just have a bad starter as well, just because new does not mean it's good.
    I was thinking the same thing. I would try the starter with it not hooked up to the engine first before doing anything else......

Leave a comment:

• JR2
    replied

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X