Stumped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped.

I have a Volvo 5.0GL in my SeaSport. I replaced the starter and now it just clicks when I hit the key. Batteries are 14 & 15 volts each (new last year 800 starting amps ea.) , all terminals and leads are clean, polished and have corrosion X on them. The wiring is exactly as the Volvo tech manual says. I have installed the starter twice, checked the teeth in the flywheel, ignition switch is new from last year. Same thing, it just clicks. I even added an addition grounding wire.

Stuck. Can't find anything on the internet.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Do you have a solenoid that is not part of the starter? If so that may be the trouble. Make sure your engine rolls over by hand too!

Comment

The last time I saw that problem there was water in the cylinders, remove the spark plugs and try again.

Comment

Check the large white fuse(looks like a block of white plastic) on the engine it may be inline to the starter. Sometimes i've heard of the wiring/fuse to lift pump for the outdrive will effect starting.
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
          Check the large white fuse(looks like a block of white plastic) on the engine it may be inline to the starter. Sometimes i've heard of the wiring/fuse to lift pump for the outdrive will effect starting.
          I think you're onto something there!!

Comment

Do you have a 12V test light or a DVOM? If so, find a known good ground and attach the neg. end to it and the positive/test lead to the solenoid signal wire from the ign. switch, cycle the key and check for voltage, if it is not present you have a switch/relay fuse problem, if present, you have defective starter. 10.5Volts minimum at starter.

And why are your batteries 14v and 15v ? They should be 12.6-12.8 fully charged and rested.

Comment

Solenoid is in line with the starter and new too.

Batteries - mine are usually around 14 volts fully charged. Even the Jeep is up in that range. The boat s are 800 amps, Jeep is 1000 amps. The voltage may go down since I had them fully charged.

Depending on what you read I see there may be something else connected inline in the wiring That has about 5 wires on it. Will have to look for it when I get home.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I just looked at the Volvo wiring diagram and I see a starter rely that has a ground wire running back to a grounding block on the boat somewhere. I am starting to lean that way. If the ground or the relay is bad, then the starter would not be able to draw enough amperage to engine the starter.

Does that make sense.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Did you roll the engine over by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by MGH55 View Post
                    Did you roll the engine over by hand?
                    The old starter cranked it over a few times before it died.

I was wondering if I could do that before by putting it in gear and turning the props but could not find a viable source of information saying that was alright to do.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Not very likely. You should use a breaker bar and a socket on the crank shaft bolt that holds on the vibration damper

Comment

Originally posted by MGH55 View Post
                        Not very likely. You should use a breaker bar and a socket on the crank shaft bolt that holds on the vibration damper
                        And best to pull the spark plugs first, the crank bolt on small block GM engine are not very stout, it would suck to snap it off. As for the solenoid, or relay be fore the starter motor, that will activate the solenoid on the starter motor, not to engage the starter motor/drive. in other words it is a redundant solenoid/relay which is why I posted the voltage test earlier, to check for signal to the solenoid ON the starter motor.

Comment

There's not a KILL SWITCH lanyard at the helm is there?
                          sigpic
                          www.aluminumalloyboats.com

Comment

It could also be a bad neutral interrupt switch.

Comment

No kill switch. I will have to check the other things when I get back home. Over in Anchorage right now.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X