This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside Passage

One of the members asked for an inside passage sticky, so here it is.

For discussing traveling the inside the passage.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Another link with GREAT pics

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Inside-Passage
    sigpic
    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Comment

July 2003 Log

Attached is my log and story of our trip sailing the 30' Halibut Grove Almar Sounder home to Valdez. I had to delete the photos to reduce the file size so it would post. Some helpful info for those that may be doing the same. Enjoy.
      Attached Files
      North River, Alweld and Phantom Boats, Mercury Marine, FNM Marine Diesel
      Hamilton, Kodiak, Almarine Jet
      Prop, Impeller repair, Planar Heater Sales & Installation
      Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Comment

Great paper. Post your pics on "photobucket" and link it here. Thanks for sharing
        sigpic
        ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
        MMSI# 338131469

Comment

Man, that sounds like an awesome trip with excelent #s. Just wish those dam diesel engines didnt cost so much more that the optimax..."fishon"

Originally posted by Halibutgrove View Post
          Attached is my log and story of our trip sailing the 30' Halibut Grove Almar Sounder home to Valdez. I had to delete the photos to reduce the file size so it would post. Some helpful info for those that may be doing the same. Enjoy.
          "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Comment

There was some discussion of hot springs on the way up, so I thought I would share this one... Bishop Bay, Monkey Beach, BC. It was worthy of a stop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2483695

Check out the Canada Parks site here... http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...ey_beach_cons/

It's just north of Butedale, a little out of the way, but it's a really cool stop. The dock has a sign (I didn't notice on the approach), that limits it to 30' boats. The dude ahead of me had this really concerned look on his face, as I hung my bow and anchor (44') over his boat. We retreated and set the anchor; launched a dinghy. All good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	2483694
            I wonder how many crew the Northwestern and Cornelia Marie landed to soak in the springs? I'm sure it would have been quite the scene.

Hope you get a chance to visit.
            PolarMarine.net

Comment

Here's a link to SE Alaska cruising pics from summer 2011:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1090582...91035644778018

Choose Full Screen and then hit F11 for best viewing
              Richard Cook
              Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37)
              "Cruising in a Big Way"

Comment

Seattle to Valdez on POGNIP

After a massive shopping spree for supplies and groceries, we finally left Seattle on the vessel POGNIP heading north to Valdez. Pognip is a 32' North River Seahawk OS powered with twin FNM HPEP 250 diesels. We departed Seaview West harbor at 2:40 and arrived in Friday Harbor at 6:55pm. Fuel dock is closed so we had dinner at the Blue water bar and grill and spending the night on the boat in the harbor waiting for the fuel dock to open. Sea's were a little rough with 25-30mph head wind out of Seattle to Deception Pass. Before passing through the pass we noticed a lot of boats waiting for slack tide. Figured they were waiting for slack tide. The current was ripping pretty hard 8-10mph but wasn't a problem. The fun began once we passed through Deception. The Rosaro straights were quite nasty. 6-8'ers steep and deep with some 25-35mph winds. Made only 8-10mph threw that lovely stuff. The boat handled the seas great! Made it to Friday Harbor just before seven so decided to have dinner and spend the night with Captain Morgan. Plan to get an early start and head to Shearwater tomorrow. If there's internet access I'll post another update tomorrow evening.

Cheers from Friday Habor

Seattle Harbor

Friday Harbor

Comment

Wow! Thanks for posting and please keep us updated. Knowing what you know now, would you have waited for slack tide?
                  sigpic
                  ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
                  MMSI# 338131469

Comment

Originally posted by AKBassking View Post
                    Wow! Thanks for posting and please keep us updated. Knowing what you know now, would you have waited for slack tide?
                    No need to wait for slack tides w a high speed planing hull. Other then effecting your speed the currents aren't noticeable. Pulled into Petersburg at 6pm. Haven't had wifi since Friday habor so it's tough to update via the phone. Traveled 928 miles so far since leaving with 36.8 hrs of engine time Finally drop some shrimp pots when we hit AK yesterday and caught a few shrimp. Heading for chatum straight tomorrow and plan to take our time fishing a shrimping. Gulf crossing appears to be better later in the week so we're in no hurry to hit the gulf yet.

Comment

Hg,

How many people are along for your trip up? Is the boat owner on board with you are are you transporting it for him? Are you going to do the gulf crossing nonstop or hit Yakatat for fuel?
                      2009 Seawolf 31'
                      www.seawolfmarine.com
                      Fully Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by jrogers View Post
                        Hg,

How many people are along for your trip up? Is the boat owner on board with you are are you transporting it for him? Are you going to do the gulf crossing nonstop or hit Yakatat for fuel?
                        The owner and his friend "the cook" are on board. We plan to go to yakutat then cross Wx permiting. It doesn't look like the greatest Wx at the moment. Arrived in Junuea at 4:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Halibutgrove View Post
                          The owner and his friend "the cook" are on board. We plan to go to yakutat then cross Wx permiting. It doesn't look like the greatest Wx at the moment. Arrived in Junuea at 4:30.
                          Here's a couple shots of the Garmin system.

The boat has the NEMA2000 capable flowscan fuel log and ties into the garmin. The total fuel usage has been with just a couple gallons from actual fuel added at the pump and some difference is a result of running the wallace stove. Just over 1000 miles total to Juneau and just over 500gals purchased. Another 500 or so and we'll be home in Valdez.

Comment

Awesome Traveling there you guys,....and nice looking machinery down below

Post more pics if you can,.....

I'm on the same trip, goin a little further to Kodiak,...but you guys Blew By Me, somewhere along the way

that's the fastest I've done, ( actually hit 13.4 knts once,...!!) and with about 5 knots current push,
                            and that was within a few minutes of Slack tide, (heh, heh)

tho I am burning less than 2gph, traveling around 8knots,....and doin' as much relaxin' as I can

Did you guys do the main Passages, Georgia, Johnstone, etc. or the Inside way?
                            Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X