Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Port of Anchorage Launching

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Port of Anchorage Launching

    So I did a search on this and didn't find much. I was considering launching my boat our of the Port of Anchorage and anchoring it up in the mouth of Ship Creek to do a little king fishing. Anyone ever done this. I hate the crowds fishing on the bank down there and noticed a few boats in the mouth last weekend. They were quite a bit smaller but what do folks think about launching a bigger boat out of there to do some fishing? I know you need to launch 2-3 hours before high and be back in a little after as the ramp goes dry. Any other advice or thoughts?
    sigpic

  • #2
    I did it a few years ago, didn't catch anything. It the fish are in I wonder if they will still take trolled bait......
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

    Comment


    • #3
      not much else to it. I have only put in my zodiac tho.

      Comment


      • #4
        We've launched our 28' Bayliner out of there to do a check run without having to drive all the way to Whittier. Like you said, plan to launch and retrieve within a couple hours either side of high tide and it's no problem. If only there was better fishing in the upper inlet...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by patrickL View Post
          So I did a search on this and didn't find much. I was considering launching my boat our of the Port of Anchorage and anchoring it up in the mouth of Ship Creek to do a little king fishing. Anyone ever done this. I hate the crowds fishing on the bank down there and noticed a few boats in the mouth last weekend. They were quite a bit smaller but what do folks think about launching a bigger boat out of there to do some fishing? I know you need to launch 2-3 hours before high and be back in a little after as the ramp goes dry. Any other advice or thoughts?
          IMO, using a boat to fish Ship creek is over-rated at best. While you don't have to stand in the mud to fish, you will still tangle lines with those on shore as you will likely have a wide assortment of spinners, spoons, eggs etc. flung near (and sometimes in) your boat. The folks on shore will continue to cast in your direction, I've seen it happen countless times. I'm not saying don't take the boat out, I'm just saying be prepared for the experience.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the advice. Any other thoughts please keep it coming. I don't mind getting muddy or wading. Its just dealing with all the morons that I'm trying to avoid.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by patrickL View Post
              Thanks for the advice. Any other thoughts please keep it coming. I don't mind getting muddy or wading. Its just dealing with all the morons that I'm trying to avoid.
              Roger that...and I can appreciate trying to improve your experiences at Ship. I don't think the boat is the answer though. Ship Creek is Ship Creek, lot's of mud, lot's of people. In a lot of cases, anchoring a boat in Ship makes you more of a target than anything else. Been there, done that, got dings in the boat to prove it..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                IMO, using a boat to fish Ship creek is over-rated at best. While you don't have to stand in the mud to fish, you will still tangle lines with those on shore as you will likely have a wide assortment of spinners, spoons, eggs etc. flung near (and sometimes in) your boat. The folks on shore will continue to cast in your direction, I've seen it happen countless times. I'm not saying don't take the boat out, I'm just saying be prepared for the experience.
                I agree with Frosty... that's an awful nice boat to go dry in the Cook Inlet Mud if for some reason you would happen to miss your retrieval window... like say some clown or clowns have the two ramps blocked when your trying to get out...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not all high tides are high enough to launch a boat at the anchorage port, you need to know what will work for you before going.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    PatrickL YOUR BOX IS FULL!!

                    Tried to answer your PM but your box is full!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks Cap'n. I hate that they don't warn you when it fills up. Anyway, there's plenty of room now. Hope you are doing well.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rutting Moose View Post
                        Not all high tides are high enough to launch a boat at the anchorage port, you need to know what will work for you before going.
                        I don't think that's true. Went down there yesterday at lunch and the tide was at about +3 to +4ft (just above low tide). The floating dock was entirely on the ground with the last portion sitting in the mud. Looking at it, I figure at maybe +12 to +15ft you would have enough water to launch or retrieve a boat off a trailer. Anchorage high tides are always well above that.

                        I'd say 3 hours either side of high tide and it's doable. If you miss that window you aren't going to have your boat stuck in the mud, you'll just be stuck on your boat in the inlet for another 6 hours waiting for the tide to come back around.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NRick View Post
                          I don't think that's true. Went down there yesterday at lunch and the tide was at about +3 to +4ft (just above low tide). The floating dock was entirely on the ground with the last portion sitting in the mud. Looking at it, I figure at maybe +12 to +15ft you would have enough water to launch or retrieve a boat off a trailer. Anchorage high tides are always well above that.

                          I'd say 3 hours either side of high tide and it's doable. If you miss that window you aren't going to have your boat stuck in the mud, you'll just be stuck on your boat in the inlet for another 6 hours waiting for the tide to come back around.
                          For more years than I care to mention, I and my son have run boats back and forth between Anchorage and the big Su... I think your 3 hours either side is a little wide... my suggestion would be to take a good book with you if you are counting on a 3 hour window, because your gonna want something to do setting in the mud waiting for the tide to come back in... Until you experience it you have no idea how fast that tide goes out..... don't bother to ask how I know....!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Old John View Post
                            my suggestion would be to take a good book with you if you are counting on a 3 hour window, because your gonna want something to do setting in the mud waiting for the tide to come back in... Until you experience it you have no idea how fast that tide goes out..... don't bother to ask how I know....!!!
                            Well said!

                            Don't go out and do this when you have a pressing engagement immediately following or you might have to call up a good friend to come babysit your boat that is now sitting in the mud. Don't as me how I know.
                            http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

                            Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well fish out where the creek drops off into the inlet, the Kings troll that drop off, it's like 20 to 40 feet deep. Out going tide find the shallows drop anchor and peel out till your out there. Don't do it anymore but did it a lot in the fresh water fishing days

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X