Best way to retrieve Jetcraft stranded in shallow river?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropback1
    replied
    Just found this out the hard way. Heavy walled PVC come along, big pry bar, 150' 5/8" wire rope, four wire clamps, big bruce anchor, 8 pound mini sledge. Bury anchor tie rope to anchor sttretch tight, pound in pry bar start winching. The wire clamps allow you to keep picking up the slack in the wire rope so you don't have to keep pounding in the pry bar. Oh and so you know if and when your hi lift hack breaks like mine did remove the jack portion and flip it upside down and pound that into the ground.

Leave a comment:

• akspawnner
    replied
    it helps to have friends

only took an hour

Leave a comment:

• akspawnner
    replied
    human power works also.

Leave a comment:

• F33shFr33k
    replied
    Originally posted by palasz View Post
    We have a Jetcraft 2175.. Getting stuck for us is usually on river rock...not deep in muck and sand.
    Ahh, ok thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• palasz
    replied
    We have a Jetcraft 2175.. Getting stuck for us is usually on river rock...not deep in muck and sand.

Leave a comment:

• F33shFr33k
    replied
    Originally posted by palasz View Post
    I tried a 12 foot drift sock in current this weekend and that sure worked as well! I think Im all set with basketballs, rope along and drift sock at this point...
    How big of a boat palasz?

Leave a comment:

• palasz
    replied
    I tried a 12 foot drift sock in current this weekend and that sure worked as well! I think Im all set with basketballs, rope along and drift sock at this point...

Leave a comment:

• Grayling Slayer
    replied
    Well I got stuck stuck this weekend. The rain was blowing sideways so I decided to rely on my gps track from 5 weeks earlier. Bad idea.

The silt sandbar was like quicksand and no anchor would ever hold. I remembered that I had heard someone say that you could dig out the pump and idle back off a sandbar.

Happy to report that this works awesome. In about 20 minutes we were on our way after being hopelessly stuck. Just watch the temp gauge and exhaust that they do not get plugged up.

Leave a comment:

• Nitroman
    replied
    A kicker with a mount that you can put the kicker on backwards will wash out sand/gravel from under the boat in very short order.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    Does someone have a link to a suitable pump? Are we talking about one of the gas powered 3" pumps like used in some mining operations?

Leave a comment:

• AK Troutbum
    replied
    Originally posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    For the Delaware River I would look at using a parachute, a rope winch and a good anchor, hi lift jack and get a couple of basketballs with air pump.

I use to run the the Delaware up around Hancock....loved running the jet up thru Balls Eddy rapid. There was (I hope there still is) some great trout fishing up there. Before I turned 16, I use to wade across the river and fish both states. Caught 28" Rainbows pretty regular back then.
    I know this is off the subject, and really, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I sure would like to see a picture of one of those 28" bows. I spent a little time fishing the Delaware around Hancock back in the 1980's and I don't think I caught anything bigger than 15 or 16", but I'm not a very good fisherman either.

Leave a comment:

• jkb
    replied
    It's much easier to slide the bow than the stern on any boat. On a big boat not much will hold in the silt we have had two anchors buried and they still pulled out before the boat moved. It's amazing how much you can push with two long poles. Just watch those trim tabs and depth finders.

Leave a comment:

• Avid outdoorsmen
    replied
    this may seem like a stupid question but I have never had the experience of getting a bigger boat off of a sand/gravel bar. Do you always try to turn the boats bow and drag it back into the current? Or if you can get the stern of the boat up can you just drag/winch it backwards? I am planning on a river hunt in my 26fter this year and the idea of getting high and dry with such a big boat concerns me.
    thx

Leave a comment:

• F33shFr33k
    replied
    Originally posted by vadimb View Post
    Could someone explain the trash pump idea?Thank you
    I would think it would involve alot of digging. Lol

Leave a comment:

• vadimb
    replied
    Could someone explain the trash pump idea?
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X