Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak sail

Has anyone here used a sail on a Kayak?
    I have no sailing experience at all and would like to hear about it and how it works
    max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

No keel

To support a mast you require keel or dagger board, like a traditional sailboat. Or a spread hull, like a hobie cat. A kayak would tip right over without any counter-balance.
    Outdoor Directory - Recreation and Outdoor Links - Submit your outdoor site for FREE
    Billings MT - Montana News, events, and reviews
    Montana Events Calendar - Statewide event calendar

Comment

Australia / New Zealand

" I beg to differ"
      ( as my neighbor Bobs Ex wife used to say )
      Cpearson, these boats have neither dagger board or Keel, just the basic rudder that comes with most Sea kayaks. I never saw any of them flip.

I saw a bunch of kayaks in New Zealand that were rigged with sails, and thought it was pretty neat Idea. These are usually rudder type sea kayaks. They have many designs of sails and most are homemade. I was surprised at how fast they travel.
      Max
      Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 10-26-2006, 00:50. Reason: spelling

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Comment

incredible

Those are great pictures. I would never have thought it possible. As a kayaker and beginning sailor I find this very interesting. They look hard to wright.
        Outdoor Directory - Recreation and Outdoor Links - Submit your outdoor site for FREE
        Billings MT - Montana News, events, and reviews
        Montana Events Calendar - Statewide event calendar

Comment

Here is a link to the Hobie website where you can get a kayak sail. A friend of mine in California used to use one of these. I never tried it. I have a WS Ride yak, and not sure how it would handle on it, but might be worth a shot.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/kayak_sail.html
          Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Comment

We need someone with experience

I will try to find someone that does use a sail to get on here and tell us how to make it work,,
            I will start fishing..
            Max

Comment

I used one on my Mokai it belonged to a guy that was up from Florida. It popped open like a pop up tent was round and fit over your paddle. It had a pocket to slip over the paddle and you held on to the bottom of the hoop. Looked like a holu hoop with rip stop cloth if you had too much wind or were getting into trouble you just let go of the bottom and lost the air. I don't have a rudder on my boat so I could not steer well. I have played with making a rudder so that I can use one I needed to make the rudder much larger.
              Waiting for the ice to go out then I will try again. After I play in the ice for a few days,can't wait for the rotten ice way too much fun.
              I have used a kite on a heavy fishing pole it works great.
              If you want to see the boat that I use it on...mokai.com
              I will look for the name and post it when I find it.

Comment

One of the easiest and most modern developments on sailing a kayak are traction kites (like those for kite surfing) --- really all you need is a trainer-kite!

You can practice all winter on land or on ice whithout your kayak and learn to fly your kite in the power-zone and guide it into the neutral zone --- back and forth. Learn simple control to complex maneuvers and recovery on you feet, ice skates, skis, snowboards, or what the heck take out the sled or kayak on the snow or ice and give 'er a whirl!

Contrary to the stuff about needing a keel... nope you need not one to sail a kayak at all. Familiarization of the winds through your sails plus rudder, secondary strokes and bracing are all that is required.

Creativity is also a good way to go if a sail-kit or traction kite, etc. is pushing the pocketbook.

Brian Richardson
                http://www.northernrim.com

Comment

Sailing a kayak

I have a klepper and its sail rig; it works wonderfully. I have sailed Lake Superior and Lake Michigan quite a bit and safely. It is a hoot. It does need two "dagger" boards on the side and these are part of the Klepper's sailing kit. Try it; you will like it.

Comment

Kite Kayaking

Hi Kayakers -
                    Here is a good representation of a kite control system being used for Kite Kayaking. My Kayak is not so stable; but itís really cool and exiting to use the wind.

FYI: Wind speeds were 18-22mph on that day, kite used was a (high projected twin-skin 330 sqm kite)
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMO_VBJkME

Regards,
                    John Bellacera
                    www.kitecontrolsystems.com

Comment

How are the winds up in Alaska?
                      Seasonal or year round.

regards,
                      Kitesail

Comment

I spent this past Feb and March in the Everglades and there's lots of wind at that time of year. I had a Hobie Adventure kayak with me with outriggers and sail and took advantage of them to get around. It worked OK.

Now I have a Hobie Adventure Island. It's quite a setup and works much better. Its much easier to sail and I can break down the mast and have it out of the way in seconds. It's also much faster as the sail is 3 times larger. I'll be in the Everglades again as I'll be kayak fishing guiding there this fall, winter and spring. I will be using the Island alot and really learn it's capabilities regarding fishing.

I feel I could offshore troll for tuna, dorado and billfish with the Island in Baja, and that's on the list of things to do.

Comment

kayak sails

Very interested in your kayak setup..
                          I saw people in New Zealand in sea kayaks using sails,, and was just amazed at how well they did..
                          what do you need to know when trying a sail for the first time?
                          Max

Comment

My Kayak Sail Experience

The first time that I used a sail on my Kayak was last summer on a paddle from Whittier to Seward. I will never go on another distance paddle without one! Even the slightest tail wind would add speed or reduce effort. During our crossing of Puget Bay we had a constant speed of 13mph vs our normal 5 mph. Most of the time we didn't have a direct tail wind but the sail is adjustable so you can tack for best speed without going off course.

The sail didn't degrade our stability too much on strong crosswinds or rough seas. There were only a couple areas where the sail was lowered, usually off of the Capes in the Gulf due the rough and unpredictable seas common to those areas.

If you like expedition kayak trips, a sail is a very worth while investment.

Comment

Jon S I have been looking at the Hobie Island too and would love to hear your remarks about this setup. If you ask me it's sort of like the Batman's utility belt of kayaks. Paddle, sail or use the flipper system. It looks very stable with the outriggers too. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X