any kayak fisheman here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any kayak fisheman here??

So does anyone fish out of their kayak here. I tried it last year and got a halibut, but I almost flipped and had a hard time gaffing the fish and getting it back to my car. I was hoping on some gear ideas and tips. I found some websites for yak fishing but they were from hawaii and Cali, so guys were in swimming trunks and such.
    Any help would be appreciated
    ps I am in Kodiak

just found an old thread, but they were talking about boat choices.
    I am looking more for practical info, like how do you make sure you dont loose your rod and paddle. What if you have a fish on and are drifting towards the rocks... How do you get a 50 lb halibut back to shore, or how do you get a 100 lb off your hook to release it(we only keep relatively small ones)
    Like I said, any help would be appreciated (and would put my wife at ease with the idea)

Comment

As far as loosing the paddle and rod, they make lanyards for the paddle and I don't see why one wouldn't work w/rod. As far as handling fish I would quiz the guys that fish sharks in southeast. Google is a good friend here and the forums of the guys in Cali is a good resource as well.

I have not fished from my Malibu Ocean yet.

George

Comment

I've landed butts to 50# off my kayak up in Alaska. I've been based out of WA, but have made the trip up to Alaska the past 3 summers. Butts to 50 pounds. Lings to 44+ inches. And our salmon shark trip! What's it like in Kodiak? I know Scott has fished up there the past 2 summers and I've had it on my list of place to check out. Was that a pic of you and a butt in Fish Alaska mag recently?

-Allen
        NorthWestKayakAnglers.com

Comment

I am in Anchorage and have fished from my yak before, although not up here in AK yet. I have a Wilderness Systems Ride. I used to chase stripers and rockfish in Cali a lot - with many of hte guys you probably see on the SoCal and NorCal forums for yakfishing.

As for rods and paddles, strap EVERYTHING to your yak. I use bungees and flexible cords that I have put various types of latches onto that hook into eyelets on my yak. The only thing that does not get strapped down is if it is in my hatches. If it comes out though, I generally try to get it strapped on soon. That includes paddle, rods, coolers, tackle boxes, etc. I have heard too many stories of guys watching expensive rods sink to the bottom or watching their paddle float away. I do always keep an extra paddle in my hatch though.

As for getting fish off, the easiest way is simply to cut the line. Even a $5 lure isn't worth getting kicked by a 'butt you know you can't handle. Always used landing nets for the stripers and rockfish. Smaller butts would be able to go in a net too I imagine, but a bat to the head would work before bringing them on board.

Hoping to chase some butts this summer as well as some silvers. Will probably start close to Seward and Whittier to get back into it. Hopefully there are others here that will want to join in. The more the merrier . . . and safer.
          Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Comment

Originally posted by RastaHunter View Post
            So does anyone fish out of their kayak here. I tried it last year and got a halibut, but I almost flipped and had a hard time gaffing the fish and getting it back to my car. I was hoping on some gear ideas and tips. I found some websites for yak fishing but they were from hawaii and Cali, so guys were in swimming trunks and such.
            Any help would be appreciated
            ps I am in Kodiak
            RastaHunter,

Check out the norcal kayak anglers forum, as well as the northwest kayak anglers forum. Both groups of people deal with water that will kill you right quick just from exposure.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...p?action=forum
            http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com...p?action=forum

I don't tether/lanyard every single item, most notably the rods. I tend to use rod/reel combos that in general aren't all that expensive, as I figure Neptune's going to get them sooner or later. Even so, I've not lost one yet. I figure the fewer lines around the front of the cockpit, the better. I do try and keep things nice and neat though. The tackle box is kept well secured, and the only things that routinely stay up front are a pair of pliers for removing hooks, and a knife for slashing gills. The paddle is not leashed, but put under the paddle keeper when fishing. Don't freak if your paddle gets away from you. You can use your hands alone to paddle at a good couple knots. Generally fast enough for you to retrieve your wayward paddle, assuming you can still see it. I'd freespool a fish before letting it drag me into rocks, but so far nothing's tried to take me out that way.

Theoretically, I'm set up to harpoon a butt big enough to be scary. An A1 round buoy, some 1/4 nylon line, and a 24" stainless tee handled gaff with the hook cut off. I got everything at Kodiak Marine Supply. I've yet to use it in real life though. I mostly use a gaff and/or a Rapala lip gripper that looks like a medieval torture device. The gripper is tethered to a buoy as well.

My 2007 setup:

Knock on wood, I'll be up there again this summer. Hopefully things will not be as stinky for kayak fishing as 2008:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...,14402.15.html

Allen,

My kayak is your kayak, if you head up to Kodiak. It's still in pretty good shape, even post-bear

Regards,
            Scott

Comment

Allen

Are you in NorCal? For some reason I think I have met you before, and maybe fished with you too. I used to live at this board here when I was down there:

http://www.kayakfishing.com/

Maybe we met at a kayak demo days at San Pedro? Grew up in the central valley and knew Noel Mitchell pretty well, so I used to help him at all the demo days and sportsman's shows, and he'd get me free passes to get in. I used to fish with a an Asian guy off of San Quentin for stripers and for some reason I thought you joined us once or twice. My name is Jason and I am up in Anchorage now.

Anyways, if it is not you, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by jmg View Post
                Hoping to chase some butts this summer as well as some silvers. Will probably start close to Seward and Whittier to get back into it. Hopefully there are others here that will want to join in. The more the merrier . . . and safer.
                I'm game. I've got access to a couple of Folbot kayaks. While not made for fishing, I feel pretty stable in them and think I could manage a silver or two.

Comment

I'd like to get out in Whittier this summer and try some fishing as well. I have my kayak rigged up with a portable fish finder, rod holder, and a fish bag. I also bought some inflatable sponsons that strap on to the kayak to increase the beam a little. My sea kayak is designed a little more for efficiency than stability when reeling in a fish, so I figured the sponsons would help. They can be stowed when not in use. I also bought a folding kayak shrimp pot from pot builder. I'm hoping to try that out, since I ran out of time last year. I rigged it up the pot with some 80# halibut cord to a short halibut rod to crank it up. Everything disconnects from the rod when the line runs out and hooks to a buoy. The only problem with the set up is I'm limited to just over 300 ft of line on the reel I currently have. But, at least I can crank up the pot and not have to worry about stowing all the line somewhere in my cockpit. I have zero experience with shrimping so I'm hoping for some beginners luck. I've read a lot on here about it and have talked to people with experience who explained to me how to do it. Its more for fun than to try and fill the thing full of shrimp. I would like to meet up with you guys for some fishing if possible this summer. Just let me know when.

Comment

my only success

This was my only successful fish. This was the only time I have ever gaffed the fish right in the brain so it just went rigid, but, I felt lucky, never before have I had the perfect gaffing, either from a skiff or commercial boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                      I'm game. I've got access to a couple of Folbot kayaks. While not made for fishing, I feel pretty stable in them and think I could manage a silver or two.
                      I think Seward would be a great place to chase silvers, as would the bay in Whittier near the end of Sept. Off of deep creek area would be decent for butts' as well, although you really gotta watch your tides over there. If you get one where there is not a large fluctuation in tide, I think you could get out off of the beach 300-500 yards and get into a decent butt' or two.

Comment

what type of boat were you fishing out of?

Comment

Originally posted by jgonski View Post
                          what type of boat were you fishing out of?
                          Not sure who this question was directed at, but for me, I have a Widerness Systems Ride.

Comment

Crazy...

This sounds absolutely nutz.

Let me know if you need a support boat; maybe we could get my Super Leopard with a small outboard out there. I could tow the yaks out of Seward or Whittier to a likely spot and cut you guys loose for some silvers. Then if it got rough, you'd at least have a safe spot to crawl on to. Whatcha think?

-Mike
                            Michael Strahan
                            Site Owner
                            Alaska Hunt Consultant
                            1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

I'd be interested in going along if it's somewhere that a kayak (preferably a large and stable one) can be rented and if the group doesn't mind a complete newB comming along.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X