Big water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big water

Just curious to see what is the biggest water you've ventured into in a canoe?
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

The biggest water I've ventured with my canoe was the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore in Wisconsin. It's part of Lake Superior, 4 men; including one paraplegic, and a day of great water. The storm blowing in near the end of the day sucked though.

For Alaska water, I've been out in Cook Inlet, Valdez Bay; both great experiences. For whitewater, I'd have to say the Gulkana was a largest / longest run w/ an aluminum canoe; it was the Paxson Lake to Sourdough stretch.

Comment

Very cool Bly...

I am making a big run this summer hopefully, but one part of the trip has me crossing Fredrick Sound - that's the problem arena for me I think.
      "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Comment

If you pack your gear right and keep the balance lined up correctly, you should be fine. I tend to keep my load center just below the transom level by 5 or 6 inches when going out into the larger waters. River water has the center even lower, depending on the location.

Good luck on your trip.

Bill

Comment

Fred'ER'ick Sound?

Originally posted by SoggyMountain View Post
          Very cool Bly...

I am making a big run this summer hopefully, but one part of the trip has me crossing Fredrick Sound - that's the problem arena for me I think.
          A few more specifics would be good here to better help you with trip planning and a little more peace of mind. So far tho' & based on the posting here goes:

Attempting this stretch --- crossing ocean north of and part of Chatham Strait, Southeast Alaska --- in most any canoe is really not a good idea no matter how you load the the boat, your paddling experience, overall physical fitness, or even what you really do from a creative sense.

You've got at very least 10 miles of open ocean here. Yes, it is inside marine highway, nevertheless a big inside crossing. An expedition Sea Kayak would be far more suitable & my better suggestion... yet still 'only' if you know exactly what you are getting into. 10-12 miles of crossing at 2-6 knots... a lot can happen in short time with weather and sea conditions.

Maybe a Hawaiian Islands/Polynesian outrigger canoe, but not a conventional touring or whitewater design. Certainly not a boat without being equipped w/ air-bag flotation, self righting/rescue gear, plus all the rescue equipment/communication/float plan, etc. you'll need to be considering.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X