Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott canoe Albany motor shaft length

Hey there , I ordered a new Albany for next year and want to start picking up needed parts and pieces. I ordered it with the stern for long shaft motor. I guess,my concern is that if I get a long shaft and it shows up cut out for short . What’s guys thoughts on this ? Doesn’t seem like it’s a huge difference when looking at factory picts. I think I’d prefer a short shaft but how would that run with long shaft stern setup . Not sure if I made that more confusing than necessary. Thanks in advance Robin

motors are to be on the transom like 15 " or 20 " not mixed up , if a 15 is on the 20: transom , loose speed an power big time , 20 on a 15 " transom,
    need more water to run in as well a lot more spray coming over the transom as I see it , could be wrong , BUT ??

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
      motors are to be on the transom like 15 " or 20 " not mixed up , if a 15 is on the 20: transom , loose speed an power big time , 20 on a 15 " transom,
      need more water to run in as well a lot more spray coming over the transom as I see it , could be wrong , BUT ??
      I can't speak for the Albany but on the HB I'm able to run a 15" 0n the 20" with minimal issues but the reverse would have the skeg dragging bottom a lot as Sid says.I have raised the transom on my 19' Grumman by 3" with no adverse effect.

Comment

Vern the 19 FT an a 15 /10 OMC 15 shaft will work but if you went a total of 4.5 inch up you would loose big power on your turns [ any turn ] if you use some plywood on a lake an buld. a false transom an see what I mean , with an eng with a 9 inch prop I am not surs how it would work OMC has a 10 inch prop ,the cavation plate will be out of the water

Comment

Ok I guess if a guy bought a long shaft I could always build up the stern a bit higher if needed. I was thinking I can get motor and trailer picked up this winter. Canoe won’t be in until April or may but who knows if there will be any available by then. Thanks guys

Comment

You want the motor as low as you can, not as easy to tip over , keep the center of gravity low if you can , as I see it , could be wrong BUT ?

Comment

Since you just ordered it, why not wait until it arrives and then take it to a dealer and mount a short and long on it and see which one looks best. You can raise a long shaft up but not a short shaft down. The Albany has a 18" transom height right in the middle.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

That’s probably the smartest way to go. I currently have a brand new Yamaha 6 hp long shaft I bought to run on my argo but have never used yet. It would be nice to have two the same shaft length if it works out. I’m still undecided on a 9.9 or 15 hp. The price is very comparable. Thank you

Comment

Robin,

I have an older Yamaha long shaft and have had Evinrude long shafts that I have taken the 5" segment out of the lower unit. This usually requires a different drive shaft

Nope.....my mistake.....the Yamaha doesn't have a removable segment in the lower unit..
                  Last edited by VernAK; 12-16-2021, 16:37.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X