Outriggers For 19’ Grumman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outriggers For 19’ Grumman

I am going to add outriggers for the first time to my 19’ Grumman Canoe The set I have my eye are the Spring Creek Outriggers. Anyone have suggestions?

https://www.springcreek.com/product/...plete-package/

I would be worried about them getting in the way of trying to turn. The canoes "bank" in turns a significant amount which would push one of the outriggers deep into the water created a lot of sudden drag on that side. I've found that the canoes fare much better than flat bottom boats in cross waves due to their ability to roll with the waves. Adding outriggers may reduce that ability resulting in them not being allowed to roll as much and having water come over the side. I can see the benefit for a narrower double-end canoe that is inherently less stable than a freighter, but i'm not sure if you will see the same kind of benefit with the larger boats.

Comment

Like training wheels on a bike a pontoon has lot's of disadvantages and as mentioned actually reduce the performance and in some cases safety of the canoe. A big canoe like the 19 foot Grumann is very stable as is. Spend time getting comfortable with your fine boat and leave the outriggers alone. Work on your balance a bit and you might be surprised with how capable your boat already is.

Comment

I dont have any experience with those or any outrigger set up but I would think you could find them less expensive.

I would get some sort of stabilization device if I could find a canoe, plus a good PFD

Comment

I have decided not to add stabilizers to my canoe but thanks for the advice.

Comment

Well they don't have to be that far away from the canoe. I think I'd keep them in fairly close and only put them out once I put a 65" moose in the canoe. I'd prefer to find some with an opening in the top to store gear in. I remember some canoe manufactures that put dense foam along the sides to make them more stable. I actually had a 17' sailing canoe with a 12' sail. For that I had dagger boards attached to the sides that I dropped. Gave the sailing attachments away when I moved up here. Probably not good for your application. With all the boat fenders around AK you might be able to make up something like this.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_87177.jpg Views:	6 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	2777200 These are from Styrigger
              the one thing I like about these they have like 4 settings you can set them at and then raise them up to put on boat trailer or when not needed and spring loaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kpxlB2qb8
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2ddEuj5G9c
              Last edited by Alaska Bush Hunter; 5 days ago.

Comment

I have an old set of Grumman out riggers, Minis the foam the Grumman ones were longer than what I have seen so far

Comment

When a canoe feels unstable I set in the floor or kneel. These outriggers would catch on things where I canoe.

Comment

YOu are correct on that one up stream , an they don't work very well with a motor on it , the one's I had did not take the pounding of running an out board motor on the canoe ,
                    other things to think about , most canoe's are light [ need to carry ] with a heave load an moving the motor back an forth , the canoe wants to bend in the middle , lots of stress on middle ,
                    most canoes are not a motor boat they are a canoe's saying that we use them as a motor boat all the time , but the canoe takes a lot of damage from our use SID

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X