20' freighter capabilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20' freighter capabilities?

I posted this over on the power boating forum but am now going to try it here.

Got a cabin halfway up Susitna Lake, and a line on a nice 20' freighter canoe, 5' beam, 30hp 4 stroke Honda outboard. General thoughts on whether or not this would be a good boat for general service to and from the cabin along with fishing for lakers?

Figure with 2000 pounds all in gross weight (including the boat, motor and fuel) it ought to draw 4" - 6" so worst case I could line it through the shallow part of the Louise/Susitna channel. With a 5' beam it should be stable enough for fishing, though I'll have to figure out how to put a Hummingbird transponder on it.

My real questions is will I be able to get through the worst of the afternoon chop? Running into it I'm sure I'll get wet, although this particular one has a substantial spray rail on it. How do you think it will fare in a following or beam chop on those lakes?

I've also got a 25hp Tohatsu with both a prop and jet drive that I could use but don't see any reason to downsize the hp.

It is a very handsome boat which has value in my mind. However, is there any reason I ought to just go with a 16' or 18' Lund?

How about using it on the Susitna River to get from Deshka Landing down to the Deskha or Yentna, and back?

Lastly, I see lots of posts about using propellor outboards and surface drive mud buddy type motors on freighter canoes. Why are jet outboards not commonly used on freighters?

Thanks,

Deep River

Originally posted by Deep River View Post

How about using it on the Susitna River to get from Deshka Landing down to the Deskha or Yentna, and back?

Lastly, I see lots of posts about using propellor outboards and surface drive mud buddy type motors on freighter canoes. Why are jet outboards not commonly used on freighters?

Thanks,

Deep River
    Can’t help with most of your questions, you really need to see the boat perform before giving some of those answers IMHO unless you’ve got a similar boat.

I will say just about anything that can float will probably make it from the landing down to Deskha. Pretty easy water.

as far as jets on a V bottom or canoe it’s pretty simple. They roll when the turn which will lift the outboard jet out of the water so you loose all power…probably when you really don’t want to be loosing power. Modified V and flat bottoms are the way to go because you get less roll in a turn and can keep the engine in the water.

Comment

DR,
      I've boated and canoed many times in your Lake Louise/Susitna area with canoes, freighters and Lunds.
      Is your canoe a Hudson Bay model or something with a wider stern?
      30HP seems a bit much and a bit heavy for a 20". There are a half dozen HBs in Delta and most run 20HP outboards and one a 24 surface drive.
      Yes, you may have to wade your canoe through the channel but maybe tilting the motor up will help and load distribution will be important.
      If your transom is designed for 20" shaft OB, try a 15" shaft of modest power. Many Alaskans try to over power their canoes and end up with
      excessive weight in the rear.

Comment

There's lotsa freight canoe experience on this site. Mainer, Yukoner, North 61 to name a few.
        Further to above comments: I bought a great 8hp Yamaha from KK and I can run that 15" shaft motor
        on my 20" transom Hudson Bay with exceptional performance considering. That trick may get you through
        the channel without hitting bottom.

LEt us know how things work out for you.

Comment

Appreciate the comments. It could almost be called a long narrow skiff but is called a freighter canoe by its builder. The transom is wider than an HB and has been operated with a 45hp on it in the past. The owners says with the 45 "it is faster!" but that the extra weight of the motor is too much to manhandle out in the bush if need be. Says one guy can move the 30hp around if necessary as it "only" weights 130 pounds.

The current motor is a "long shaft" 30hp Honda with a River Runner rock guard and Shark trim tab on the lower unit. Haven't sea trialed it, nor seen it in person yet. The boat, motor, fuel and myself will go about 780pounds. The builder says at 2000pounds gross weight it will draw somewhere between 6"-8". Seems like I will be able to put some gear in it and still make it through the Louise - Susitna channel either motoring, polilng, or lining.

It should also do just fine in reasonable conditions on the lakes and I have been warned (and understand) that both those lakes will throw things at me that will be unsafe to be out in, regardless of the boat .... discretion is the better part of valor.

I'm gonna go for it and will post an update and photos once I get the deal done.

Deep River

Comment

You might have to pole your canoe in the channel but it will be fine , a few days [ ruff water days ] you might have to wait it out , Ps the motor will be fine ,
            PS if this canoe an motor is used ? go try it out on some lake , what do you have to loose , fish finder ? because of the type of boat you are looking at make portable
            use a clamp type an hang it over the side when being used ,then store it when not fishing , OR get the type that can be glued to the hull , don't know if they still make them ,
            I like the clamp on for portable boats or canoes , SID

Comment

After noon chop / windy day could be a little wet to not being able to make it ,
              out side of that sounds good to me channel will have to pole or walk it
              not sure about the water in channel there these day's
              SID

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X