how loud is your motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how loud is your motor?

got spoiled all summer operating a yamaha 4 stroke jet boat for work. my old 2 stroke outboards now seem loud by comparison. how about surface drives or mud motors? I run some of those type of motors for other equipment and they are loud as all get out. how do they compare when set up for a outboard?

The older 2 stroke Jet pump with a tiller are very loud, 4 strokes with Jet tiller much quieter. Jet pump outboards with a tiller are loud period much quieter sitting away from the motor. My 50 hp 4 stroke Tohatsu you can lower idle electronically very quiet for drifting for moose.

Don't know about surface drives or mud motor but any air cooled motor will be louder than a water cooled motor.

Comment

All OBs with a jet pump on them will be loud once you get going as the exhaust, instead of being underwater when you're not moving, gets exposed as you get on step. My old Yammy 115 with a jet pump was obnoxiously loud. I love new 4 strokes. My Suzuki 20 OB, my 600 ACE Tundra. Quiet is good. Every video Ive ever seen with a surface drive seems pretty loud. Pretty sure the exhaust isn't under water, and the muffler seems pretty bare bones.
      Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by kk alaska View Post
        The older 2 stroke Jet pump with a tiller are very loud, 4 strokes with Jet tiller much quieter. Jet pump outboards with a tiller are loud period much quieter sitting away from the motor. My 50 hp 4 stroke Tohatsu you can lower idle electronically very quiet for drifting for moose.

Don't know about surface drives or mud motor but any air cooled motor will be louder than a water cooled motor.
        I run the Tohatsu as well in a 50 and it is very quiet. BTW, didn't see you on the Kenai this year?
        sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Was on the river about 6 times with the Blue 470 Solar Inflatable mostly Bings to Skilak area.

Comment

Originally posted by kk alaska View Post
            Was on the river about 6 times with the Blue 470 Solar Inflatable mostly Bings to Skilak area.
            Copy. Never did go up there this year.
            sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

35 Briggs are pretty quiet at hunting speeds. I wear ear plugs for long WOT runs. It also depends on where you are in relation to the exhaust exit, they're much louder when the exhaust is pointed at you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ8uTW_Qbgg

Comment

My Yamaha 15 4 stroke is very quiet

Comment

My little 4-stroke Tohatsu is very quite and efficient. I've also been amazed at the performance for such a small outboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2763856
                  I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X