Operating The engine on a Freighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operating The engine on a Freighter

I dont know about everyone else, but man, operating the tiller OB on my Hudson Bay feels like some sort of medieval torture device after an hour or so. Sitting facing forward, with your left arm behind and up is so non-ergonomic its not even funny. What does everyone else do, short of installing a console?
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Originally posted by Yukoner View Post
    I dont know about everyone else, but man, operating the tiller OB on my Hudson Bay feels like some sort of medieval torture device after an hour or so. Sitting facing forward, with your left arm behind and up is so non-ergonomic its not even funny. What does everyone else do, short of installing a console?
    <br/><br/>Get a tiller extension handle.

Comment

You could set sideways. Besides a tiller extension setting sideways is a very easy way to increase your comfort.
      Almost all small sailing craft, work and pleasure, position the operator sideways with tiller across their lap. If a long tiller extension is used and the helms person needs to suddenly throw the tiller on the side their body is setting the tiller is lifted up by its hinged handle to pass overhead the body. PVC pipe is often used as a cheap jury rigged extended handle. Careful when you first use a long tiller extension. Some people over control.

Comment

Im running a Suzuki DF20, and it seems that the Suzukis tiller handle is angled upward at a higher angle than the other 3 brands. When Ive put a ghetto extension on it, it gets even higher.
        It looks like the Mercury tillers are the most level.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukoner View Post
          Im running a Suzuki DF20, and it seems that the Suzukis tiller handle is angled upward at a higher angle than the other 3 brands. When Ive put a ghetto extension on it, it gets even higher.<br/>It looks like the Mercury tillers are the most level.
          <br/><br/>They do sell extensions with hinges in them to address the angle issue. Never used them, so I canít speak to how good they are, but might be worth checking out if it could help your issue.

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
            <br/><br/>They do sell extensions with hinges in them to address the angle issue. Never used them, so I canít speak to how good they are, but might be worth checking out if it could help your issue.
            Ill have to check them out. I tried making my own flexible extension as well using a rubber Fernco type couple. Didn't work so well. Must be a universal type joint to allow for the throttle twist. Need to experiment with a seat that allows me to sit sideways.

Comment

Sideways sitting and a short enough extension to clear your body for quick turns but long enough to allow for a more comfortable hand position. Probably a bad idea but I also tighten the turn collar enough that I can momentarily let the tiller go and the boat tracks straight while I do a stretch or two when I hit known deep water. It gets painful after a bit and there is no complete solution I have found.

In the big Scott Freighter I like the surface drive as you are standing and have a nice angle of grip. More comfortable to me than an outboard.

Comment

The old-timers with the 19 foot grummans used a pole set up and could steer from the front seat. I cobbled one up and it works surprisingly well. Very comfortable to use.
                Wasilla Real Estate News
                www.valleymarket.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X