Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kk alaska
    replied
    Justin, was planning on taking my Solar inflatable jet boat up Tangle lake may still take it up Summit Lake? Hoping Fed deal goes away!

Leave a comment:

• lug
    replied
    Zack and VernAK Thanks for the information. No 19 footer yet. Good possibility of one in the future if I really get into the powered canoe niche, but right now I am watching for one at the other end of the spectrum. Thinking one or two of the Grumman 12'9" Solo canoes would be a fun addition for those days a quick paddle is what the Dr. ordered. kk alaska I bought last week a second side mount otherwise I would be trying to talk you out of yours. But will keep you in mind if I hear of anyone wanting one. Of course with the latest news about Unit 13 my planned canoe based hunt up the Tangle Lakes will be canceled. Guess it will be another bicycle based hunt in the Clearwater Controlled Area.
    Justin

Leave a comment:

• kk alaska
    replied
    I have a factory side mount I never use

Leave a comment:

• VernAK
    replied
    ^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
    Zack is on target. OMC would be my choice and about 5hp......

I also prefer the marine plywood and I would make the transom about 3" higher as it doesn't seem to cavitate and keeps the prop up off the bottom a bit. With these lighter motors, the higher transom shouldn't raise the CG enough that you'll notice.

A nice bunch of Grummans......no 19' yet?

Don't be afraid of a side mount on the double enders but keep the HP to 3.5hp or less.

Leave a comment:

• Zack
    replied
    3/4" Marine plywood.
    Parts? I run a 79 4 1/2 Mercury and an 81 7.5 Evinrude and I can get all the parts I want. New expendable parts like water pumps, carb kits etc. Plenty of new old stock available for propellers on E Bay.
    More parts out there for older Evinrude/Johnsons than Mercury though. Stay away from Scott Atwater or Chyrsler. You can't go wrong with OMC.

Leave a comment:

• lug
    replied
    A picture of the fleet

Leave a comment:

• lug
    started a topic 17 Grumman square stern questions

17 Grumman square stern questions

A couple of square sterns followed me home Monday and I have some questions. The transom wood needs replaced, what is the best to use, solid like oak or marine plywood? Brand new outboards are out of the question so I am leaning towards older engines and with the glowing reviews the older Evinrudes/Johonsons get that is what I am looking at. What is the year cut off that parts and reliability become an issue? Once I get used to running a powered canoe on lakes what streams are good beginner streams in the Anchorage area? Or is there better beginner streams in the Fairbanks area? Mainer_in_AK and North 61 have inspired me to expand my canoeing.
    Justin

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X