Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greenmachine
    replied
    KantishnaCabin - thanks for the realistic words. I was more asking about larger freight canoes, but even my grumman freighter I don't think I'd want to try it. If it worked well from a hudson bay that might persuade me to change my setup, but no one boat can do it all i'm quickly learning. I definitely see nets as more of a cheap jon or inflatable task.

Leave a comment:

• KantishnaCabin
    replied
    It's been many years since I was brave/desperate/poor enough to do it. But yes, when I was 20 something and newly married I used my trusty coleman to fish dungies and even went out a couple times with a gillnet at the Buskin in Kodiak. Obviously, life jackets are a no brainer and only on the calmest of days.

Please do not take my admission as a tacit approval. I can say from experience that it was stupid Idea. I did it 2-3 times and didn't ever get flipped. However it only takes once. I stopped and bought a Bayrunner skiff when a friend asked me what my plan was if I fell over and got caught in the net. I have a lot of confidence in my canoe skills, I've logged well over 1000 river miles by canoe and countless lakes plus several saltwater trips when I lived in Ketchikan. Yes, it's doable but there are much better and safer tools to use. A small inflatable is a much better platform if you are trying to do it on a budget. $4-500 can get you a really nice inflatable and they are perfect for picking nets.

Leave a comment:

• MacGyver
    replied
    Originally posted by greenmachine View Post
    Anyone run gillnet from a canoe?
    People cross the ocean in a canoe, i don’t see why you can’t check nets using a canoe.

Leave a comment:

• greenmachine
    started a topic check nets from a canoe?

check nets from a canoe?

Anyone run gillnet from a canoe?

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X