8HP on Scott Hudson Bay Freighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8HP on Scott Hudson Bay Freighter

Preparing for our summer excursion, three of us took our Hudson Bay Freighters to Quartz Lake for a shakedown cruise.

As expected, all three HBs, with a very moderate load of 600 pounds, ran at 17-18 mph with 20HP and 10" pitch props.

Then came the surprise as we put a short shaft 8HP on a high transom HB. That's a 15" motor on a 20" transom. With the same load, this 8HP produced 11.5 mph.
    There was no cavitation at WOT until I turned hard. Definitely a combination I could use in a pinch.

This 8HP Yamaha is a beauty that I bought from KK this spring. Thanks KK!

Wonder if you could induce cavitation on that combo heading up river with the increased hull speed?
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Comment

I can't see where there would be any difference unless you were in extremely turbulent water.

The speeds attained with the 8HP vs the 20HP does indicate [to me anyway] that we often try to over power our canoes.
      My 20HP is seldom WOT. I usually run about 2/3 throttle for fuel efficiency at 13-14MPH.

Comment

Originally posted by VernAK View Post
        The speeds attained with the 8HP vs the 20HP does indicate [to me anyway] that we often try to over power our canoes.
        I think that's true concerning all boats. HP seems to be chosen more often based on an emotional decision rather than empirical evidence/logic.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Vern glad it went to a good home, about 12 MPH is what I saw mine was lo transom HB. It might cavitate if you have a big load to far forward? The stern water is higher on the semi-displacement boat. Ran your 8 HP with a lift and you could raise it way up without cavitation and hard to get a prop strike that way. Kurt

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X