Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrider
    replied
    No...I didn't drown. Pretty much gave up on the K boat and getting into Canada anytime soon., I did buy a new Merc 15 hp 4 stroke for my 12' Duroboat. I ran a 9.9 for 9 years and it went great but figured some day I'd need the 4 stroke in restricted water so the extra hp was only few bucks and same weight and that allows me to keep the 9.9 on the Esquif Cargo and stop the hassle of changing back and forth and with different fuel I can have a dedicated tanks in each. With little to do I built a 16' canoe/kayak trailer that will haul my 16' Penobscot and the the cargo with a kayak on each side. I sold my snow go's and that leaves room in the hanger for the trailer loaded up and ready to go. Even has some fly rod holder tubes and room for life jackets and other stuff.

My wife got tired of me being off in the woods on my dirt bikes so she talked me into a Honda 700 SXS so she can come along too. Then...I ran into a great deal on 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS. Guy bought it new and rode it some but was afraid of it so it set in the garage. I had a 2002 Bandit 1200 that I gave to #2 son while he was in college and he destroyed so I knew what the Bandit would do...this one water cooled and fuel injected and much nicer bike. Anyway, several trips into MT and a plan to go to the OR coast until the group of ***wholes took over Portland and Seattle and made it a less than desirable place for seafood. I did learn it will exceed the speed limit most anywhere without tickets. If the Canadian PM will open up the border I may do a trip down Fraser Valley to VC then to the island and into WA on the boat then loop back to Home...we'll see how that goes.

I'd like to wish everyone a Happy and healthy New Year and keep your powder dry...you may need it.

Leave a comment:

• Lowrider
    replied
    Tightened up things as tight as possible by #1 son with plastic wrench. Pumped up to the point of almost all the wrinkles being gone and 3 or the 4 cells are holding air pretty well. Right front has begun to show wrinkles again over the period of a week. This is certainly not a threat of sinking and probably falls into the realm of acceptable air loss over a week's time. I have a 12 volt pump and new deep cycle marine battery so I am willing to take the Kaboat out of town for a float trip into Canada...BUT...yesterday, both countries extended the border closure for another month so maybe a local trip will do just as well. Forecast is for one of our Spring monsoons to float thru the area so maybe next week for a short fishing trip. Going to try this one without the frame and seats and sit on the sides since my boat didn't come with seats. Maybe two pieces of plywood strapped on the tubes where the seats attach will be a better idea. We'll see how time deals with the other 3 cells.

Leave a comment:

• Lowrider
    replied
    Well, a couple weeks ago I pulled the tarp off the Kaboat and found just what I expected...flat boat. Not completely flat but the frame had pretty much pushed all the air that it could out of boat. I sent an email to the supplier and got the same response I did last Fall...you are not tightening the valves tight enough. I covered it up until yesterday when I found some time to fool with it and pulled the frame off and couldn't find the filler fitting. I did find a dried up mouse on a fish hook that had some worm on it...must have been hungry and thought he'd try some worm...never caught a mouse on the spinning rig before and I wasn't there to see the bobber bounce but the critter was solidly hook and no need to set the hook. Going to look for the valve wrench and get #1 son to work on it since he is stronger than me. Planning to go out today if things go well. Happy Mother's Day to all those mother out there!!

Leave a comment:

• Lowrider
    replied
    K boat is still loosing air but not at the rate it did previously. I took it out yesterday and used the 3.3 Merc and it seemed to push it maybe 25% faster than the 54lb thrust electric. No fishing, just fooled around for a bit and brought it home...new house (soon to be home) and stuck it in the hanger for safe keeping. Gotta say it's a nice little boat and by myself the 13' is just the right size...maybe a 15' would be right for 2 folks.

Keep your powder dry and your flies wet.

Leave a comment:

• Lowrider
    replied
    Is that a 15'?

Still thinking of building a 20HP 4 stroke long tail for my Esquif Cargo but then #2 son wants to put a hole in the bottom and convert to a jet ski water intake and pump, etc. But then we have an almost running snowgo engine at about 80hp...gotta finish my house and plane first.

BTW, if you don't have a Henry lever in .22 Mag... get one...incredibly accurate!

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    I canít critize anyone for cutting skegs off. I use a 20 hp 4 stroke on mine.

Leave a comment:

• Lowrider
    replied
    I'd still like to be able to do some mild rapids (2 or less) so I think they add stability in steering there as well...but I'm no expert.

Leave a comment:

• Sid
    replied
    Have FUN an don't kill your self on the water SID

Leave a comment:

• Mt Al
    replied
    Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
    I've only had the electric on mine so far but would think the 9.9 would need skegs in place to improve tracking and keep it going in the right direction in a turn. It would be fun to slide around when you want to but not sure how to make them retractable...dagger board thru the floor?
    Sea Eagle has a removable skeg system and they sell the base and skegs. When I was going to cut mine off, when I was whole hog on the jet and following south coast stu's awesome bottom conversion for same, I was going to buy the sea eagle removables. However, went the "lake" rout with my Kaboat instead. Some day....

Leave a comment:

• Lowrider
    replied
    I've only had the electric on mine so far but would think the 9.9 would need skegs in place to improve tracking and keep it going in the right direction in a turn. It would be fun to slide around when you want to but not sure how to make them retractable...dagger board thru the floor?

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by south coast stu View Post
    They were always getting hung up on stuff (truck rack, sticks, etc.). I built my KaBoat for running skinny. The Solars don't seem to need skegs. But to each their own....
    they do get hung up, and though I run a prop at the moment, I enjoy the tracking they provide.
    When i has my surface drive I enjoyed the tracking ability vs the sliding ability that my boat offered.
    running up remote Alaskan creeks that barely fit your boat the tracking ability is important.

But, if there was an advantage for me, Iíd have no problem
    modifying it.

Leave a comment:

• Mt Al
    replied
    They were always getting hung up on stuff (truck rack, sticks, etc.). I built my KaBoat for running skinny. The Solars don't seem to need skegs. But to each their own....
    Watch South Coast Stu's youtube video for some shallow water running, makes sense for what he's doing. Mine are staying on for my usage.

Leave a comment:

• south coast stu
    replied
    Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Why? I love mine. Help tremendously with tracking and stability.

Leave a comment:

• Sid
    replied
    I hear you Yukon on that one, Sid

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    I cut my skegs off.....
    Why? I love mine. Help tremendously with tracking and stability.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X