No announcement yet.

13' KaBoat SK385XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels are mounted and it looks like there will be some interference with the 3.3 at about 75 degree turns left and right with the motor set all the way forward or down. When I lift it up to the 3rd notch it only does maybe 60 degrees each way so if the boat will plane in the first notch that's the best way to run it. On the other hand the issue probably only causes a problem at slow speed when I can use full right or left.

Gotta get some goop to seal the holes in the transom then the wheels are ready.

I'm loosing some air in the left rear valve so it needs a little more snugging up and see if that controls the leak. Really isn't much space for a pump in the boat so I don't want a leak.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Tweaked the left rear valve as hard as I dare and I still have slow leak...smaller softening of the tube after 3 days and still not acceptable. Is this normal for most of the Kaboats? The right side is staying fully inflated since it arrived...no air loss at all.
      Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
        Tweaked the left rear valve as hard as I dare and I still have slow leak...smaller softening of the tube after 3 days and still not acceptable. Is this normal for most of the Kaboats? The right side is staying fully inflated since it arrived...no air loss at all.
        Definitely not normal. I've never had noticeable air loss after even a weeks of being inflated.
        -

Comment

Put a little soapy water on it to see if you can narrow the leak down. I would unscrew the valve and make sure the sealing surface looked good and check the flapper seal. I bet if you call them they will send you a new one. Good luck

Comment

It's leaking around the valve. I keep an old windex bottle with soapy water for just such a problem. I'm afraid to take the valve off since I can't get to the inside of the tube...inside might fall inside. Just noticed the left front is leaking too but much more slowly than the rear.

I'll call them.

Comment

Guidance was get a cheater bar and tighten as much as you can. Well I tried to break the plastic valve wrench so they would send me a metal one. Surprisingly, I couldn't break it and I got almost an additional half turn out of the wrench which after 4 days I have no leaks in either tube front or rear. So far so good. I'll try to get a picture of the boat with the frame I built and post.

Just got the pass sticker for my plumbing rough-in. My concrete guy is coming to get started on the house slab tomorrow and the next few days will be tied up on that project. I have 2800 feet of hydronic tubes to attach to my foam insulation before we can pour concrete. Gunna get the boat wet soon...freeze plug on my tractor sprung a leak today...always something!

Comment

Tried to upload 2 pics...no joy.

Good news is that still no leaks.

Comment

Try again...nope!

Comment

Still getting leaks but at a much slower rate. Looks like I start seeing wrinkles in the tubes about 5 or 6 days after filling with air. More than a little frustrating and I've tried 3 times to tighten the valves again to no appreciable benefit. I suppose based upon this finding I do trust the boat to go for a ride.

Just got my trusses for the house and I'm ready to ge my roof on the house so the boat ride will be short...probably down the Pack River before the flow gets so low that it's no fun. I'll let ya'll know how it performs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
                      Still getting leaks but at a much slower rate. Looks like I start seeing wrinkles in the tubes about 5 or 6 days after filling with air. More than a little frustrating and I've tried 3 times to tighten the valves again to no appreciable benefit. I suppose based upon this finding I do trust the boat to go for a ride.

Just got my trusses for the house and I'm ready to ge my roof on the house so the boat ride will be short...probably down the Pack River before the flow gets so low that it's no fun. I'll let ya'll know how it performs.
                      Well that's a bummer, but certainly should be good enough to use on the water and top off when needed. Is it still leaking at the valve?

Got mine out on Hebgen lake about a week and a half ago, one small brown but a great day on the water with my daughter. Working on a better leaning post, converted my push-button-shutdown old 20 Merc to a lanyard safety switch (and it works!) and got an old gamefisher 1.75 2 stroke as a backup/troller. Going to put some D rings towards the front for a small "front frame"/seat above the 6BOW gas tank I have under the fabric V up front. We're going to try to get to Yellowstone lake in the next few weeks. Always something fun to work on!

Comment

Yes Sir..still the valve leaking.

Last time we were at Yellystone we took the hard shell kayaks and never got them wet. Once I get the house done I bet I could be interested in taking the rubber boat up there. #2 son is pulling some nice rainbows on spoons since it's warmed up some...80F here today. He cold smoked with alder a bunch last weekend that turned out pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by kk alaska View Post
                          The 15' Alaskan was built for here with Brian Richardsons input.
                          The ones that were shipped to Alaska were checked to maintain quality lots of them bought elsewhere, were not. Lots of known valve issues,
                          substandard parts is what I was told and lack of quality control. Did not have any issues on the 2 Saturn Kaboats I owned.

Comment

I suggest you try to find out the exact leak site yourself with soapy water. If air is coming from the edge of the valve gasket, buy a wrench and tighten. If it's from the center, try cleaning it with a soapy q-tip. If necessary, take it apart to see if the rubber seals need changing. All of this is on utube.
                            RandyS

Comment

First wetting was a success. Finally got the little 13' out on a lake today and it performed just as expected. Lake was restricted to electric motors so I used my 53 lb Minkota and it ran great and pushed the boat along plenty fast. My wife and I trolled for trout and I fly fished for small mouth and have no keepers. Another couple on the lake were using mini marshmellows and a piece of worm and had 11 in their bucket...clearly we were using the wrong bait. After about 3 hours of riding around the lake we hung it up and we left and had fish taco's for lunch.

Very pleased with the stability of the boat and how well it handled on flat water...only complaint was loading and unloading the boat on a wooden snow machine flat bed trailer...skegs kept it from sliding and an 8' wide trailer made it difficult to launch and recover. I was very happy that I put the fold down wheels on the back...they made moving it pretty simple once off the trailer. Next trip will be using my alum trailer.

Still have leaks in the valves but they keep the tubes inflated for a week or so before needing more air. Overall We're very happy with the little critter.

Comment

The skegs do make moving on and off the bunks a pain on mine as well.

Congrats on the maiden voyage! They are crazy stable. Got my 20hp tuned up and been out a few times, very happy with my KaBoat XL!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X