13' KaBoat SK385XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks gents!

Bought four 8' and one 10' line posts today... should give me lots of material to build a frame. Once I know the size it won't take long to cut and weld up the frame. I'm pretty good at cutting "fishmouth" on tube and I'll grind anything rough on the frame before I paint it.

The game sled is a good idea. I was thinking a foam floor but the slick material sounds better to get fish slime cleaned up.

Mt AL,

Where are you located?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Forgot to ask...has anyone put a thigh brace or something like that on their frame? I don't want to complicate this thing but it seems like that would be a fine addition for float or fly fishing. I've been known to get focused on what my fishing is doing and not what's going on in the boat. Should it be removable?
      Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

I posted this on the other thread but will post here too. Frames are easy enough to cobble together; mine is a combination of schedule 80 aluminum, oar locks, elbows, oars (all Amazon), oar mounts (eBay) and the existing seats modified. I have maybe a hundred and a half (and I think it was less) in it and it's been rock solid for me.

I cannot comment on the 13' model but like others have said, I too have occasionally wished I had one as well. That said, I love mine: it is incredibly durable and rows like a dream. And it carries a ton.

Best of wishes whatever direction you choose to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14224748_10210848962359566_2465237593265260954_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2501566

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
          Forgot to ask...has anyone put a thigh brace or something like that on their frame? I don't want to complicate this thing but it seems like that would be a fine addition for float or fly fishing. I've been known to get focused on what my fishing is doing and not what's going on in the boat. Should it be removable?
          Lowrider, I'm in Bozeman - Boze-Angeles now a days.

I made a removable thigh brace but haven't used it yet so can't tell you how good it works. It's kind of like the NRS Frame Thigh Bar. I put a Kee Klamp "T" fitting on the front of the frame, where it stays. The thigh brace is four sections of line post and three Kee Klamp elbows, shaped kind of like the NRS thigh bar. Put the brace assembly into the "T" fitting and drilled through both, then used a wire lock clevis pin to make it removable. I don't know if any of that makes sense, need to learn to put pics onto this forum.

Frankly, I probably would have been better off buying an NRS thigh brace and just taking it on and off, keeping the tools in the raft for when their needed.

Can't wait to use it more this year to test out the thigh brace and other customizations.

Comment

If you raise seat height with a frame, I used fish on seat brackets mounted to frame cross, members raised seat about 4" which allows you to brace
            your legs against side of boat. You felt much more secure in bigger water. Plus no over flexing knees with stock seat height.

Comment

Mt AL,

We have an infestation here too.

Thanks for all comments and ideas. I'm anxious to get my boat while it's too much snow to work on my house but temps are rising so it won't last long. Once I get into the boat I'm sure there will be more questions. Thanks again!

Comment

I read somewhere that folks are coating the bottom of their Kaboats with urethane. Is this for bottom protection or to make the PVC bottom material slicker to allow it to slide over obstructions, rocks, logs, etc. easier? The more I look at this sucker the more I wonder why it took me so long to get interested in them...now if mine would just ship.

Just spent 3 days digging snow out of my house foundation so I can get subgrade leveled and insulation for my hydronics heat system in place. Gotta focus on the house but I'm taking a little time off when the 13' arrives.

Comment

Not sure how many folks use the fold up transom mounted wheels to launch or move your Kaboat around, but I ordered a set off ebey for $70. Got em today and they are nicer than expected. Stainless (Chinese most likely) legs that are nicely finished and work easily and 3" wide solid plastic wheels that are supposed to support 250 lbs. that should roll easy enough except in loose sand. We'll see how they last...just wish my 13' was here.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about coating with urethane, it is for extra protection. The double layers on the bottom should be good.

Comment

Good advice Brian!

I noticed on another site some folks are using bed liner on catarafts.

Comment

Not sure how many folks use the fold up transom mounted wheels to launch or move your Kaboat around, but I ordered a set off ebey for $70. Got em today and they are nicer than expected. Stainless (Chinese most likely) legs that are nicely finished and work easily and 3" wide solid plastic wheels that are supposed to support 250 lbs. that should roll easy enough except in loose sand. We'll see how they last...just wish my 13' was here.
                        I have/had those on mine and they work fine as long as the boat doesn't have much weight in it and the surface isn't too gravely/loose. I used ATV ramps and those wheels to get the boat in and out of my truck and down to the water a few times. keep mine inflated all the time. Also needed a hitch extender and "canoe holder upper" thing to keep the boat in the bed while en route.

I drilled my transom for the angle pieces and slathered exterior caulking everywhere, used fender washers, etc.

Still have them, but customized a Harbor Freight trailer for full time KaBoat duty for most trips. If I go on a long trip with it deflated, the wheels go back on. Ice is melting here, can't wait to take it out soon.

Comment

Ice on the big lake is gone but the small lakes are still 3-4" but going fast.

I have a bed extender and it works well. My snow machine trailer is 8 x 14' so I can use that in a pinch. The set I got have solid tires 4" wide so I'm hoping they will support the 13'...wish it would ship so I can get the frame built. I want to play in the Clark Fork when the flow is down and maybe get a fish or two on the fly rod.

If you get over this direction give me a shout.

Comment

Next question...I'm planning something to cover the air floor. Do most folks use some stiffener between the air floor and the bottom... if so what?
                            This is what I got for my 15 footer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sprung a leak on the floor because I'm a dummy and dropped a cigarette butt so I felt like it was necessary to protect the floor afterward. I don't have any pics of it in use but it works great. You just tuck it in between the tubes and floor before its fully inflated and it locks the mat in place after inflation. The roll was 4 feet wide so I have the other half of it if anyone needs it.

I also got some launch wheels from ebay that were surprisingly good quality. Only problem is the transom is so narrow that when the wheels are in the upright position after launch you can barely steer without the motor hitting the wheels. I have just been pulling the wheels off in the water and storing them up front. The hard part is putting the wheels back on while you're on the water so you can just roll it out onto the beach. It is a real PITA. So, just make sure to mount the wheels as far out as possible. I could've gone out maybe an extra inch on either side but I don't know how much of a difference that would've made. Hopefully it works a little better for you.
                            -

Comment

Thanks for all the info and suggestions gents!! I have seen folks unhappy with the wheel legs getting in the way of steering. I have a 55 lb thrust electric, a 3.3 hp Merc and a 9.9 hp Merc so hopefully I can make something work with the wheels in place or some mod.

l got an email from the distributor today and the latest shipment has arrived in South Florida. Unfortunately, there are some minor cosmetic "issues" with this shipment and they offered several options and I choose the $100 discount and ship my boat soonest. I've been dealing with cosmetic issues for years and have so far survived them all...ready for my Kaboat!!

Comment

Kaboat ships from Miami on 15 April...3rd coat of paint on the frame a couple hours ago...ready to deal with cosmetics.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X