No announcement yet.

Clipper MacSport 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive got a nice old Johnson 4.0 Deluxe thats just itching for a small freighter.
    Sounds like reason enough to buy one.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Comment

Or in the spirit of Christmas you could give that motor to a, little old; soon to be retired man?

Comment

Originally posted by Yukoner View Post
        Ive got a nice old Johnson 4.0 Deluxe thats just itching for a small freighter.
        Sounds like reason enough to buy one.

If that's one of the old twin cylinders, hang onto it. These new small motors all seem to be single cylinder engines and noisy to an extreme.
        I've still got an old 1965 Evinrude Ducktwin with weedless drive........so smooth and quiet.....360 degree steering.....

Comment

Originally posted by VernAK View Post
          If that's one of the old twin cylinders, hang onto it.
          This.........1960 to about 1975, OMC and the little Mercs. More parts are out there for the OMCs though.

Comment

I am looking at a 57 pound 4 stroke 5HP Mercury on a good sale, Saturday. How are these new small 4 strokes?

Comment

I would imagine...real quiet...and sips fuel....I run a 15 hp 4 stoke Yamaha on my HB and love it.

Comment

I have the 5 hp Mercury 4 stroke on my Clipper. It's real quiet and idles down for trolling but will haul the Clipper faster than I want to go. It has a built in tank and I get a whole day of fishing without refueling.

My old 4 HP Evinrude 2 cylinder is smoother, but I'm happy with the Mercury.

Comment

Originally posted by lucescoflathead View Post
                  I have the 5 hp Mercury 4 stroke on my Clipper. It's real quiet and idles down for trolling but will haul the Clipper faster than I want to go. It has a built in tank and I get a whole day of fishing without refueling.

My old 4 HP Evinrude 2 cylinder is smoother, but I'm happy with the Mercury.
                  Does the 57 pounds on the transom create any problems?

Comment

Originally posted by VernAK View Post
                    If that's one of the old twin cylinders, hang onto it. These new small motors all seem to be single cylinder engines and noisy to an extreme.
                    I've still got an old 1965 Evinrude Ducktwin with weedless drive........so smooth and quiet.....360 degree steering.....
                    Yessir, its a twin. While I love Christmas, pretty hard to gift it, even to deserving gentleman such as the OP.
                    It would look real nice off the back of that Clipper.
                    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Comment

Well..it was a long shot!

Not sure whether to buy an off season single cylinder 4 stroke at a good price (Merc 5) or hope for a find on an older twin 2 stroke. Whitehorse only rarely has deals on used equipment and travel out would eat up any savings. The four strokes are heavier, more complex and not as smooth. Against that they are a wee bit better on gas and quieter in mid throttle. Also a new motor carries a warranty against lemonhood. Looking at the 5 tomorrow.

Comment

North 61.... how’s the earth quakes up your way ?

Comment

Haven't felt any yet ....seem to be centered in Alaska.

Comment

I thought you were in AK....my bad...just looked on a Map. .looks like Anchorage is West of you.

Comment

Yup...quite a long way actually.

Comment

No I trailer mine and have the Clipper supported its whole length.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X