18 ft kaboat/10 hp copperhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 ft kaboat/10 hp copperhead

With the 18 ft model and three men, the rig pushed a top speed of 13 mph. The 18 ft model ran best with about 9 psi in the floor, and 4 psi in the tubes. anything lower in psi, it decreased top speed. I measured the boat to be 53 inches in width. Stand-up paddling pushed it around at good pace. The prop clears the tubes by about 4 inches. One thing that I'm going to do though, is adjust the spherical ball joints on the motors, to get the prop to ride about 1-2" deeper in the water. Most small boats have a 13 degree transom (or somewhere close). The kaboat has a straight transom, so I couldn't get the prop as deep in the water as I would like. That's one of the good thing (of many) about the copperhead design, is that you can adjust them.
    www.freightercanoes.com

I'm beginning to loose track of how many different square stern and freighter canoes I've run in. And now, floaty toys. I would take one of these with a surface drive, any day of the week over a "jet ranger". When it's all said n done, you can consider this the jet ranger killer. New technology, better on fuel, more load carrying capacity. would be a skookum rig for guys that want to hunt PWS creeks n rivers from a big boat, OR guys hunting from big jet boats, that want to take their pursuit up shallow creeks.

hidden lake:

Attached Files
    www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

How do they do with skinny swift water. 4-8 inches rock and say bottoms?

Comment

Looks good on the water, was that last Fall ? it is not this year ? SID roud:

Comment

Originally posted by Troy Sharp View Post
          How do they do with skinny swift water. 4-8 inches rock and say bottoms?
          I got a pm from a couple guys regarding this set up. Anyhow, I did run a 23 hp copperhead on the 18 ft kaboat. We went so far up the 20 mile river, that the braids were too skinny for the 53" wide boat. We passed all sorts of jet boats that were grounded out. The tubes limit the amount of steering you have, so you have to really be on your game. We couldn't' use the motor much past half throttle, or it would slinky/destort the floor and burp water. I'd like to get another one someday, and have a custom frame built for it. Due to the straight transom, I ended up canting the motor with a special spacer, as the motors are designed for a 13 degree transom angle, and the prop doesn't bit deeply enough when the boat planes.

going with a tiny jet pump is a no-go in my opinion, you've no load carrying torque. Surface drive works better, and you don't have to do all these altercations/modifications that void the warranty.
          www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

How would the little 6HP Copperhead work on this boat?

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
              I got a pm from a couple guys regarding this set up. Anyhow, I did run a 23 hp copperhead on the 18 ft kaboat. We went so far up the 20 mile river, that the braids were too skinny for the 53" wide boat. We passed all sorts of jet boats that were grounded out. The tubes limit the amount of steering you have, so you have to really be on your game. We couldn't' use the motor much past half throttle, or it would slinky/destort the floor and burp water. I'd like to get another one someday, and have a custom frame built for it. Due to the straight transom, I ended up canting the motor with a special spacer, as the motors are designed for a 13 degree transom angle, and the prop doesn't bit deeply enough when the boat planes.

going with a tiny jet pump is a no-go in my opinion, you've no load carrying torque. Surface drive works better, and you don't have to do all these altercations/modifications that void the warranty.
              Mainer I've been wanting to contact you about some of these smaller surface drives for my 15' kaboat. Are the transoms able to handle the weight?

Comment

The single cylinder 10 hp is the minimum I would recommend. You don't want to over-work the little 6.5 or 7hp engines. Better yet, would be the 12-14 hp engines.
                www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
                  The single cylinder 10 hp is the minimum I would recommend. You don't want to over-work the little 6.5 or 7hp engines. Better yet, would be the 12-14 hp engines.
                  Well I happen to have a 14 HP hanging around here somewhere! Does the 18 ft Kaboat have a reinforced bottom?

Comment

I would try it on the Saturn Kaboat 15 ft Alaskan model I had the first 16 ft Saturn Kaboat in AK and the 15 ft flexes less. I have a frame on my 15 ft model. And it is less sensitive to air pressure and less cavitation with an outboard. The 15 ft has xtra material on the bottom of tubes. Not sure on the 18 ft model.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting one of these. Anywhere a guy can go look at one. Wanting 18 foot and running a 15, 2 stroke Johnson.
                      Shoot to kill, kill to eat!

http://adventuremongers.com/index.ph...id=40&catid=13

Comment

Call Brian Richardson at AK Raft Connection 907-250-2271

Would still recommend the 15 ft AK model over the 18 ft. shorter, stiffer less cavitation issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kk alaska View Post
                          Call Brian Richardson at AK Raft Connection 907-250-2271

Would still recommend the 15 ft AK model over the 18 ft. shorter, stiffer less cavitation issues.
                          With quite a few upgrades over the 18' as well.
                          When i contacted him about getting an 18' he strongly suggested the 15' Alaskan model. I'm happy. Very happy. It does have it's limits, since it isn't that wide, but man is that thing stable, and gas efficient.

Comment

Nice looking rig Mainer...Im in the market for something like that, my only question is how does it perform in rocky creeks rivers? Can you go as shallow as an outboard jet drive?

Comment

Originally posted by yukon254 View Post
                              Nice looking rig Mainer...Im in the market for something like that, my only question is how does it perform in rocky creeks rivers? Can you go as shallow as an outboard jet drive?
                              In in rocky rivers area now and I run a 7.5 prop on mine. I was amazed at how shallow I could go. Jet shallow? Not sure but the boat itself barely breaks the subsurface. And I was able to drag it through 6" of water without dragging bottom.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X