Bering Sea West Alaska Coastline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad your back Mr. Adventure
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

• Originally posted by kodiakrain View Post
      Wow, how does a GPS Manufacturer's PR guy,.... miss this opportunity ??

Rare Chance, to get your gear tested to the Max,...

If I was them,...and took a look at his blog site,...I'd be puttin' someone on a plane,...
      or finding Amigos PO Box,...for an AK Airlines Gold streak delivery,...

of a brand new unit,...
      I was surprised Delorme didn't offer any help other than their standard warranty. They wanted me to send the GPS and the Inreach back to them for repair or replacement. This obviously wouldn't work for me as I was using both units and there was no way they could ship them back to me weeks later. The only option that would work was if they shipped new units to me to Skagway. They refused, even after I offered to give them a credit card number and just buy new ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick View Post
        With Bob's workload, he must be burning big calories. I wonder what his menu is? Sure is a work horse.
        Seemed like I never had enough food! No idea calories burned and consumed, just know I was hungry especially for fatty food. My menu was pancakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, or powdered eggs for breakfast; trail mix, candy bars, and venison jerky for snacking in the canoe; and dehydrated meals like spagetti, chili, pasta, and rice hotdishes for suppers.

I thought I had made big portions but turned out what I packed was not sustaining me. Only after 20 days on the Inside Passage, I was really getting thin and realized that I had to supplement my food. So when I had the chance, I'd buy fatty foods at stores, caught a fish now and then, and was given some salmon strips from locals twice.

Ran short of food when making the Tundra Portage and experienced serious hunger for first time in my life. NOT GOOD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
          Looks like Bobs tracker went out about a hour ago.Hope he is OK
          There were a few times when I was running low on battery power so I only would turn the Inreach on occassionally or maybe only when I made camp. Also, when doing the big portages, I usually would only carry it on one trip and then turn it off and leave it behind. Seemed like every pound mattered on those treks.

Comment

• Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
            at 3,200 ft of elevation, that lake was probably still frozen? doesn't look like a paddled route, looks like he's dragging his canoe like a sled.
            Yup, coming down off the pass I dragged the canoe across Crater Lake like a sled. One pack in the boat one on my back. After Crater Lake, I encountered alot of overflow ice and water which made for some slow and difficult going. I didn't find open water to paddle until Lindeman Lake May 31.

Except under ideal conditions, dragging the canoe was harder than carrying.

Comment

• Originally posted by kodiakrain View Post
              hey Amigo, do you remember if he's taking a lot of photos while he travels,...??

I'd sure like to see that top of the Chilkoot Contry, and lots of other stuff coming up
              seems I remember him saying he wasn't much into taking the time for much photography ?

What an Epic Voyage, and fun to watch him just smokin' it so far
              I did take alot of photos and video. All my free time now is spent trying to put together some home movies. I'm a much faster paddler then a video editor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                Question,where on the Chandalar is Bob going to start having a ruff time?
                The second day pulling upstream. I remember it well, at 3:00 pm I pulled to shore ready to call it quits and head back down river. I was frustrated and exhausted at the slow progress. I took a short break, drank a little water and ate some trail mix. I felt better and decided to keep trudging along. A couple days later I started getting glimpses of the Brooks Range mountains and thought to myself "this is cool, I'm going to paddle from the lower 48 to the Brooks Range" and got extra motivated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick View Post
                  As of tonight, their is a wild lands fire on the N Fork of the Chandalar ... appears to be between BeaV and Venetie. Being fought by a crew of 35 from Ft Yukon. Hope it's not in BeaV's way.

http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_fire/imf.jsp?site=fire
                  I knew there was a fire north of me cuz I could see and smell the smoke but it never bothered me. Later on, while on the Koyukuk I did paddle through a big fire. Thick smoke and still some active fire along the river. I think I was in or around this second fire for the better part of a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by wykee5 View Post
                    When Bob went through the Chilkoot, it was obvious from his tracker (and his plans if I remember correctly) that he was shuttling loads and making multiple trips. Now, as he is going over the tundra, it appears as though he is making one, slow push. Do you think he is dragging that canoe and all his gear? As nice as it would be to not have to repack everything, it seems as though that would be a pretty heavy, slow-dragging sled.
                    No dragging- too tough. Carried canoe and gear in three trips. A good day was 2 miles progress = 10 miles total distance covered. Mile per mile, this portage was tougher than the Chilkoot.

Comment

• Beav... did you locate your old cabin on the Koyukuk?

Comment

• Do you plan a book?

Or another adventure?

Much congratulations on pulling off your Alaska trip; you're one in a million.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeaV View Post
                          The second day pulling upstream. I remember it well, at 3:00 pm I pulled to shore ready to call it quits and head back down river. I was frustrated and exhausted at the slow progress. I took a short break, drank a little water and ate some trail mix. I felt better and decided to keep trudging along. A couple days later I started getting glimpses of the Brooks Range mountains and thought to myself "this is cool, I'm going to paddle from the lower 48 to the Brooks Range" and got extra motivated.
                          Days like that, dragging canoe can be rough on your spirit. I'm surprised you could gather yourself with just a short break, very impressive. I always found that a decision made after a nights rest, would've been different than making that decision when you're exhausted, and stressed out. Is there a full story posted or printed of your journey? I sure do enjoy reading of canoe adventure when our waters are froze solid.
                          www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bobmikk View Post
                            Beav... did you locate your old cabin on the Koyukuk?
                            Yes I did. On July 4th I finished the tundra portage and paddled 30 miles to my cabin site. Got there at 10pm and found the cabin had been burned to the ground. I camped there that night and left early the next morning to get to the haul road and hopefully buy some food from travelers.

Comment

• Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
                              Do you plan a book?

Or another adventure?

Much congratulations on pulling off your Alaska trip; you're one in a million.
                              No plans on a book or another adventure at the present time. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
                                Days like that, dragging canoe can be rough on your spirit. I'm surprised you could gather yourself with just a short break, very impressive. I always found that a decision made after a nights rest, would've been different than making that decision when you're exhausted, and stressed out. Is there a full story posted or printed of your journey? I sure do enjoy reading of canoe adventure when our waters are froze solid.
                                Sorry, no written account.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X