No announcement yet.

Bering Sea West Alaska Coastline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like he's pulling the plug for at least a little while today on the lake........wind must be blowin' hard...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Catch It View Post
      Ray Williams maintains the road, it still services a tractor trailer that hauls boats, fuel and about anything you can imagine. It is one heck of a view looking down each side of the pass but it's as good a road as you could ask for.
      Thanks I've wondered about that road for many years. Still would like to walk it some day.....

Comment

• It has been blowing pretty hard out here today. It is enough from the south that I figured he might get lucky and be able to make some distance, but wave refraction on the lake is going to be sending 4 foot plus waves in his face. Which on a lake is a painful wave.
        14 Days to Alaska
        Also available on Kindle and Nook

Comment

• Worse yet, just checked the wind at Igiugig, and it is from the east northeast...worst possible direction for Beav. Guess he will get a little break today.
          14 Days to Alaska

Comment

• That lake can get crazy big and fast. The wave patterns can be so close to one another that when it really blows it turns it flat again only its like a power wash. I've seen that lake where you would not want to be in any size boat out in it. He might find the lake to be a big challenge as I've heard we are to get 85mph winds here tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by power drifter View Post
              That lake can get crazy big and fast. The wave patterns can be so close to one another that when it really blows it turns it flat again only its like a power wash. I've seen that lake where you would not want to be in any size boat out in it. He might find the lake to be a big challenge as I've heard we are to get 85mph winds here tomorrow.
              Just looks like it's time to hunker down for awhile....again. He's pretty used to that I'm sure.....

Comment

• I almost died in a big blow between Pedro Bay and Pile River on the north side of the lake. I had waves coming over the back and over the bow at the same time in an 18' Lund. It was October and even though I was wearing a PFD I doubt I would have survived the cold water and the waves.
                Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

• Go! Bob Go! Looks like Bob will be walking to Cook Inlet by tomorrow. I'd guess Anchorage in a week?

Comment

• When Bob hit Wrangell he had put up with three days of the wind taking the tops off waves. I guess to start building the legend we can say he used devils club the whole trip for TP,he felt it was really to soft.
                    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

• Originally posted by power drifter View Post
                      Go! Bob Go! Looks like Bob will be walking to Cook Inlet by tomorrow. I'd guess Anchorage in a week?
                      I would guess a bit longer than that... he still has to portage over the road.. looks to be 20 miles+ and will do it more then once to get all his gear over.. then paddle up cook inlet.. he will have to ride the tide on that trip.. but 10-12 days I suspect he might be here... I will miss going down to the port and saying good job if that is the case.
                      2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• From the map, it appears that the road is parallel to a creek. Couldn't a fella, as determined as the BeaV, paddle or tow his rig on that creek rather than shuttling his gear on the road?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          From the map, it appears that the road is parallel to a creek. Couldn't a fella, as determined as the BeaV, paddle or tow his rig on that creek rather than shuttling his gear on the road?
                          That would be able the same as trying to drag his boat up a waterfall. If you look at the topo map, you will see that the elevation gain is pretty high in a very short distance, especially right at the start near the bridge.

Comment

• I would think if he had a little trouble on the Chandalar going upriver, Iliamna River is probably similar and I wouldn't have messed with it either.
                            14 Days to Alaska

Comment

• Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                              That would be able the same as trying to drag his boat up a waterfall. If you look at the topo map, you will see that the elevation gain is pretty high in a very short distance, especially right at the start near the bridge.
                              Yup, as painful as dry land is for Beav, going up Chinkelyes Cr. is only fun for about 3/4 of a mile, then it turns into something too steep. that bottom 3/4 has some beauty bows and tons of bears though. He'll do fine on the road, except he may stumble because of all that flat surface he is walking on, probably hasn't seen that for months!

Comment

• Iliamna River is rather slow for the first 7 miles or so, definitely slow to the bridge if he went that way, but indeed, the stream that runs along the side of the road for a ways has several sets of cascades and lots of big boulders. No salmon above it about halfway or less up the road.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X