No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    I Hear ya. But trying not to put out to much money till I find out if I have any money coming in this year. Being declaired disabled by your doctor and told not to go back to work just means I can't work, doesn't mean someone is going to pay me. So I read you got your new boat in. Hope she is all that you hope for and more.

Originally posted by bkmail View Post
    Jim,
    Get 'er done! Headed up the Knik on Saturday.
    Remember...my "old" one is for sale...turnkey and ready to rock!
    I'm hoping we can get up the river in two more weeks....
    BK

Leave a comment:

• bkmail
    replied
    Jim,
    Get 'er done! Headed up the Knik on Saturday.
    Remember...my "old" one is for sale...turnkey and ready to rock!
    I'm hoping we can get up the river in two more weeks....
    BK

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Just an update....

Still waiting on the guy that is going to help me finish up with getting his boats ready for summer then we start on mine. Hope it is soon.

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by bkmail View Post
    Grumpy,
    Glad to hear you are finding some help, hate to see that boat sit another year! Plus, if yours is running I won't have to keep such a close eye on mine!! LOL!
    Keep us posted on your progress and final outcome.
    See ya on the river in (three) weeks ???
    BK
    Don't know about 3 weeks, but I do hope if I get the airboat running right I can make it up this year. Depends on how the back feels. I want to go hunting too, but not sure that is going to happen. But if I can get up to the cabin at least I can get a change of scenery. But I will be tempted to do something stupid and hurt myself more. So I will have to be a good boy..

Leave a comment:

• bkmail
    replied
    Grumpy,
    Glad to hear you are finding some help, hate to see that boat sit another year! Plus, if yours is running I won't have to keep such a close eye on mine!! LOL!
    Keep us posted on your progress and final outcome.
    See ya on the river in (three) weeks ???
    BK

Leave a comment:

• jim in anchorage
    replied
    Originally posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Jim, I don't know if this boat ever ran right. And yes it is a oil temp problem. If you read through all this you see Jeff owned this same boat in '03 time frame and got rid of it because of the over heating problem. But when he sold it he told the new owner of the problem. I wasn't told of the problem. But with all that said. The guy that is going to help me runs Lycoming's. He thinks when the boat would built the wrong size oil cooler was put on the boat and the cowling is also wrong and there are a few other things missing or need to be fixed.

And Roger, it overheats while running down the river. But I understand your thinking on overheating if sitting. If the larger cooler itself doesn't completly fix it I may put a fan on the cooler also.
    Yeah that sounds like a design issue. Coolers are[fairly] cheap, motors are not. Course you never know, who ever built the boat may have unknowingly put a plugged cooler on it.
    Is the cooler positioned where air flow from the prop is passing over it?

Leave a comment:

• Akres
    replied
    Who ever is doing the wrenching should look for:
    Fuel restrictions
    Proper/Adequate/Clean fuel filter
    Baffles inbetween cylinder for proper air flow/distribution
    Proper Full Speed RPM..2750 or what ever is rated on the data tag
    Proper Manifold Pressure at full throttle...max one inch over rated RPM, if over or under, adjust or replace the prop.
    Adequate Oil Cooler Volume and Location
    Adequate Engine Shroud...just looking, looks like this one is too short but photos can be deceiving.
    Every cylinder should be within 50 degrees at the cylinder head temp locations
    Dial indicate the lift of the valves...have to pull the valve covers to do this...CRITICAL CHECK. Do it..sometimes the cam lobs wear due to improper storing and/or improper lubricating oil.
    Ignition Timing...Time both mags, IAW the the specs on the data tag.
    Change the oil filter if it has one...If not clean the oil mesh screen. At the same time, pull the oil temp thermostat and make sure it operating by putting it in boiling water.
    Make sure the Spark Plugs are the correct heat range.
    All this sounds like a lot of work but really quite easy and even a novice should be able to do it in days time.
    That is one of the best motors in the industry.
    Good Luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I assume by running hot you mean oil temp, not Cly head or EGT? If so, unless the boat was a day one abortion[meaning it never ran right] first thing I would do is pull a line from the input side of the cooler, stick it in a container start the engine, let it run for a timed period[say 15 secs-make sure there is plenty of oil in the engine!]. Lets say you got 2 quarts. Now pull the output cooler hose and repeat the test exactly. You should get very close to the same amount of oil. If not, the coolers plugged.
    Jim, I don't know if this boat ever ran right. And yes it is a oil temp problem. If you read through all this you see Jeff owned this same boat in '03 time frame and got rid of it because of the over heating problem. But when he sold it he told the new owner of the problem. I wasn't told of the problem. But with all that said. The guy that is going to help me runs Lycoming's. He thinks when the boat would built the wrong size oil cooler was put on the boat and the cowling is also wrong and there are a few other things missing or need to be fixed.

And Roger, it overheats while running down the river. But I understand your thinking on overheating if sitting. If the larger cooler itself doesn't completly fix it I may put a fan on the cooler also.

Leave a comment:

• jim in anchorage
    replied
    I assume by running hot you mean oil temp, not Cly head or EGT? If so, unless the boat was a day one abortion[meaning it never ran right] first thing I would do is pull a line from the input side of the cooler, stick it in a container start the engine, let it run for a timed period[say 15 secs-make sure there is plenty of oil in the engine!]. Lets say you got 2 quarts. Now pull the output cooler hose and repeat the test exactly. You should get very close to the same amount of oil. If not, the coolers plugged.

Leave a comment:

• Roger45
    replied
    I was just reviewing your original post. Back to basics...things not said...when you have an Air Cooler you need motion to blow wind over the cooler so it can work. If you are idling (not moving), air doesn't blow over the cooling fins of the oil cooler, and the oil stay hot and gets hotter. I learned this concept when I was backing a 5th wheel up on a hot summer day...my tranny temps went sky high Right Now and it was spooky. So, are you overheating when cruising, when stopped and at idle, and/or at certain RPMs/Speeds only? If you are just running it in your driveway, you might turn a blower motor onto the cooler and see if that helps or not...just another idea of something to look at. It is great to hear that you have met someone that knows these engines inside and out too! Let us know what the final outcome is.

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Roger45.. will do.

Leave a comment:

• AkGrumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Good news Grumpy, I've been thinking that your problems may not be as major as you are believing. If you need a hand swinging some wrenches sometime, like I said I am retired and have the time, send me a pm. Happy to help. Bud
    Thanks Bud, I may just hit you up on that one. Being I can't be to much of a help right now. Looks like we will be doing most of the work in the Valley.

And Jeff.. if we get her running I will get with you and take her out for a spin. But looks like when it was first built the guy did some things wrong maybe. The guy that is going to help me runs nothing but Lycoming's. So I am a little more hopeful now. He said he loves the way it is set up and will show me how to adjust prop and all.

Leave a comment:

• Roger45
    replied
    I would think the "principle" would be the same as a problem I had with my truck's tranny when hauling 10,000#. The first thing I did was put a larger oil pan on the tranny. Second, I added a second oil cooler next to the first, doubling the amount of oil being cooled. Third, I went with all synthetic oil. Night and day difference for me. I have never had a Lycoming, but it seems like the concept I mention is the way you are heading. Great that someone that knows what they are doing is jumping in to help. Keep us informed how this progresses.

Leave a comment:

• skip olsen
    replied
    AK Grumpy Just A Thought, Sorry Don't Know Anything About Aircraft Motor But I Have Had Problems With The Over Heating On The Car Motors In The Airboats From A Lean Fuel Mixure You Might Check That To. Skip

Leave a comment:

• akblackdawg
    replied
    Good news Grumpy, I've been thinking that your problems may not be as major as you are believing. If you need a hand swinging some wrenches sometime, like I said I am retired and have the time, send me a pm. Happy to help. Bud

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X