Thread: Book about Alaska and it's resources

Default Book about Alaska and it's resources

I've been reading a book I thought I'd point out. It's called; The Quiet World, Saving Alaska's Wilderness Kingdom 1879-1960. The author is Douglas Brinkley, a historian at Rice University. So far it's a really good read, touching mostly on the history of how Alaska's resources were treated before Statehood and men like President Roosevelt and Muir fought to protect it.

It has a number of notable quotes like this one from Roosevelt. "We have taken forward steps in learning that wild beasts and birds are by right not the property of people alive to-day," Roosevelt said, "but the property of the unborn generations, whose belongings we have no right to squander."

Anyone else read it?

For those who will automatically call it rubbish about some greenie crap, take a look before you jump to conclusions. It's about the history of this place including the environmental movement, the canneries, the loggers and foreign governments like Japan and their history in Alaskas waters. Mostly it's about how things here came to pass, and why.

Take a look, it's good.

[QUOTE=
    For those who will automatically call it rubbish about some greenie crap, take a look before you jump to conclusions.

I don't mind being called a "greenie"! The more green us hunters become the better as far as I'm concerned. I guess green can be defined different ways though.
    Thanks for sharing sounds like a book I will enjoy and better yet learn something.
    Cheers
    Jason

Another book I found interesting when talking about the early hunting day in Alaska is....Big Game Hunting In Alaska, by Morgan Sherwood.

This book does not cover AK game management since the '60s.
    It does cover game management and Alaskan "attitudes" from frontier days through the military buildup following WWII.

Be aware that this is not a "how-to-hunt" book. It is not "light" reading. It is a historicaL record of game management, especially concerned with brown bear and wolf management. Yet, as a hunter and a guide-outfitter, I found it extremely interesting. Also note that, after reading this book, I get the impression that the author has never-and probably would never-shoot bears or wolves.

Forum member wantj recommended, kind of recommended or advised, that I read it. Well, looking back, he merely asked me if I had read it...so i did. This is not a book that your average joe-hunter would enjoy reading. But many on this forum view themselves as much more than the average Joe...and that person will probably gain some insight into early Alaskan game management from this book.

Bushrat...had started a post concerning this book, started on 8/03/2009.

dennis/AlaskaTrueAdventure

I wasn't aware of that one, Earl, am frankly struggling to get through Brinkley's The Wilderness Warrior - Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America, that is over 800 pages long.

The preface has a Teddy R. quote though that I thought perhaps was part of the quote you used, but in just reviewing it must have been a similar expressed thought of his. Let me get my glasses on and transcribe it though, worth the effort:
    "Defenders of the short-sighted men who in their greed and selfishness will, if permitted, rob our country of half its charm by their reckless extermination of all useful and beautiful wild things sometimes seek to champion them by saying that "the game belongs to the people." So it does; and not merely to the people now alive, but to the unborn people. The "greatest good for the greatest number" applies to the number within the womb of time, compared to which those now alive form but an insignificant fraction. Our duty to the whole, including the unborn generations, bids us to restrain an unprincipled present-day minority from wasting the heritage of these unborn generations. The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose, and method."
    -
    Theodore Roosevelt, A Book-Lover's Holidays in the Open (1916)

Interested in book swapping, Earl, down the line? Tell me that one of Brinkley's isn't 800 pages long though <grin>. Thanks for posting on it. And Dennis, yeah the Sherwood book is really a must-have for anyone interested in what went down in the earlier days, we need a new updated treatise on AK game mgmt from someone who is willing to lay it on the line!
    Cheers,

This thread made me think how sad and perhaps enraged Theodore Roosevelt would be to know what is happening to his beloved western North Dakota. The book sounds a good one, will see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I wasn't aware of that one, Earl, am frankly struggling to get through Brinkley's The Wilderness Warrior - Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America, that is over 800 pages long.

The preface has a Teddy R. quote though that I thought perhaps was part of the quote you used, but in just reviewing it must have been a similar expressed thought of his. Let me get my glasses on and transcribe it though, worth the effort:
    "Defenders of the short-sighted men who in their greed and selfishness will, if permitted, rob our country of half its charm by their reckless extermination of all useful and beautiful wild things sometimes seek to champion them by saying that "the game belongs to the people." So it does; and not merely to the people now alive, but to the unborn people. The "greatest good for the greatest number" applies to the number within the womb of time, compared to which those now alive form but an insignificant fraction. Our duty to the whole, including the unborn generations, bids us to restrain an unprincipled present-day minority from wasting the heritage of these unborn generations. The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose, and method."
    -
    Theodore Roosevelt, A Book-Lover's Holidays in the Open (1916)

Interested in book swapping, Earl, down the line? Tell me that one of Brinkley's isn't 800 pages long though <grin>. Thanks for posting on it. And Dennis, yeah the Sherwood book is really a must-have for anyone interested in what went down in the earlier days, we need a new updated treatise on AK game mgmt from someone who is willing to lay it on the line!
    Cheers,
    Absolutely Mark, this one is only 499 pages so it's a little shorter. I read several books at once, i loose interest in one and read a chapter or two from another before going back. So, if you're interested in any of the other books let me know. Currently I'm reading: An Entirely Synthetic Fish by Anders Halverson, Born on Snowshoes by Evelyn Shore, and Uranium: War, energy and the rock that shaped the world by Tom Zoellner. I have to run now but I'll send you a pm later with my info. I do have two requirements for book swapping; I have my friends sign the inside cover with their name, date and where they were when they started the book and I like to get them back to swap with others. No time limit, you can keep it for as long as you like as long as they find their way back.....eventually. Cheers.

Regretfully its a my rights world and its not against the law ethic in the woods today. Folks use up the resourse in their area and move on to the next with no regard as they have never invested anything.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you