Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v8's and shallow water?

Default v8's and shallow water?

I have always used my flat bottom sled on the skinny stuff, I haven't ran anything shallower then a couple feet with my inboard yet.

I keep reading about guys complaining that the V8's don't go very shallow. I was just wondering how shallow you guys with the heavier boats and moderate dead rise can go before your forward motion stops. Mine is 21' and has a 14* dead rise.

3-4" , a little less if you got it hammered.

Tried an inch once but that didn't work for more then 50 feet. I have a North River 21' big block. 6 inches of water is pushing it unless you are running some pretty high speeds. The deadrise screws up the super shallow running. Once you start hearing gravel tickle the bottom it's time to get a little deeper.

Shallow is all in the prespective. Realize 3 inches of water is about ankle deep. I have run water about that deep once for a short distance but listening to the sand and gravel go thru the jet is pretty unnerving at WOT.

Oh and you hope very much you do not come to a halt, cause it's a long haul back to water to be able to float again.

Most of the time when a bigger boat gets in real skinney water it was a unplaned trip .

A lot depends on how fast you hit the shallow. Can go very shallow if enough speed and momentum to keep going til you hit the deeper stuff. In my mind, the really important thing is where you stop. Even if you stop in a foot of water and only draft 6 inches, it can be very difficult to get started again. Suction from the intake sucks up gravel and sand and plugs you impeller quickly. You will need much deeper water to get on step again once you stop or fall off step. I've switched to a boat that I can park on the dry gravel bars and have no problem taking off again. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    A lot depends on how fast you hit the shallow. Can go very shallow if enough speed and momentum to keep going til you hit the deeper stuff. Bud
    That's how I went 50 feet in an inch of water, speed and momentum. I am pretty sure I was going at least 40 mph. 3 hours back to floatable water.

The trick for getting started in barely floatable water, #1 need to know your rig, does it snap up on step or wallow a little, #2 Placing logs, using your buddies or your preferred balls under the hull to hold up a little while you get started, #3 does your rig start while WOT in full forward. The above is how I got up and running in less then a boat length after getting the boat back to a "FLOATABLE" little hole. Had my buddie hold the boat in the direction of travel by the swim step, had two balls under the hull on each side, gave a count down so he could get out of the way and we went from engine off to WOT and on step in less then 20 feet. He hiked down to where I was now floating comfortably.

Here is an example on Utube for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7wKy...eature=related

One trick for self rescue without breaking your back. Buy a military surplus parachute and have a good rope with you. Open and spread parachute in deeper water (need euough rope to reach deep water from stuck location). You would be amaized how much power is in the current of a river, enough to drag your boat back to deep water. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    A lot depends on how fast you hit the shallow. Can go very shallow if enough speed and momentum to keep going til you hit the deeper stuff. In my mind, the really important thing is where you stop. Even if you stop in a foot of water and only draft 6 inches, it can be very difficult to get started again. Suction from the intake sucks up gravel and sand and plugs you impeller quickly. You will need much deeper water to get on step again once you stop or fall off step. I've switched to a boat that I can park on the dry gravel bars and have no problem taking off again. Bud
    Bud, what boat did you switch to? I am working towards a boat for my cabin and it is going to have to be a pretty skinny running boat that can haul a little weight.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I can run 6 inches of water all day but can't stop in it or my intake will suck me to the bottom. I need a good two feet of water to get her back on step.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Bud, what boat did you switch to? I am working towards a boat for my cabin and it is going to have to be a pretty skinny running boat that can haul a little weight.
    I changed to a airboat. It can run on less then a inch and can park and start up again on dry gravel bars with no problem. Yes, there are disadvantages also, noisy and lots waving at you as you go bye. But the most fun boat there is for rivers and any shallow areas.Attachment 49891

i can run 6 to 8 inch's not comfortably but it will. i have gone shallower in the 4-5 inch range for a short distance. When is see that coming i will try and juke a little putting it into a turn to take the 14 degree dead rise out of the equation. The key word here is short distance 20-30 feet than back in the deeper water. I have to echo bronco there at least 2 feet to get her going again. When i see it coming i will put the coals to the fire and get her out of the water as much as i can.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Unfortunatly, I have run out of water in my Hewes. I took a wrong turn in the Tanana last year and went up and over a gravel bar. I can speak from first hand knowledge when I say these boats are heavy, not to mention that they stop pretty fast when you get them out of water ! Ive run in the skinny stuff quite a bit (4-6 inches) for short periods of time and it always makes me nervous. I try to keep it in a foot or deeper if possible and if I plan on stopping I would like at least 2 feet. I know its not the best practice, but a couple of logs to put under the boat and a highlift to put under the swimdeck to lift and rock it forward has saved me a few times. Im looking to invest in a parachute, if I could just find one...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Unfortunatly, I have run out of water in my Hewes. I took a wrong turn in the Tanana last year and went up and over a gravel bar. I can speak from first hand knowledge when I say these boats are heavy, not to mention that they stop pretty fast when you get them out of water ! Ive run in the skinny stuff quite a bit (4-6 inches) for short periods of time and it always makes me nervous. I try to keep it in a foot or deeper if possible and if I plan on stopping I would like at least 2 feet. I know its not the best practice, but a couple of logs to put under the boat and a highlift to put under the swimdeck to lift and rock it forward has saved me a few times. Im looking to invest in a parachute, if I could just find one...
    Hey Ronster when I get back to Anchorville I will check down at surplus to see if they have one. I will be FBX way 1st week in Aug and haul it up for you, if you would like.

Hey, Broncoformudv, Jimw and Ronster, interesting thread, just wondering what width your guys hulls are?
    I have had guys tell me they have run 3" with their 84" bottom I/B...........................
    I am thinking a I/B would be the way to go someday and jus wondering if 3" is wishful thinking for a I/B............?

EDIT V-8 inboard that is..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Hey Ronster when I get back to Anchorville I will check down at surplus to see if they have one. I will be FBX way 1st week in Aug and haul it up for you, if you would like.
    That would be great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Hey, Broncoformudv, Jimw and Ronster, interesting thread, just wondering what width your guys hulls are?
    I have had guys tell me they have run 3" with their 84" bottom I/B...........................
    I am thinking a I/B would be the way to go someday and jus wondering if 3" is wishful thinking for a I/B............?

EDIT V-8 inboard that is..........
    The width on my river runner is 7'2". I'm running a kodiak 350 with a berkley pump.

akgramps

6' on mine. 3" inches for me that would fall under wishfull thinking and a lot of pushing.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Akgramps I am at 6 feet as well and have to say there are no V-8 inboards running in three inches of water. Yeah some of us might skip across a section or two like that but we sure are not running in that little of water. For that you better have something a lot lighter.

I am sure Chriso or sport drifter will chime in at some point, sport drifter has a 84 inch bottom and I believe Chriso has one as well. Both those guys have WAY more boat experience than I do.

Dont forget deadrise as a huge factor in how shallow something will run. In a comparable weight boat, I know a 6 degree hull would run much shallower than a 14 degree hull.

Its think its more hull design than anything. Well placed lifting strakes, a bottom width that matches the boat length/weight, and a deadrise to suit your needs.

A shallow running inboard v-8 will have the same qualities of a shallow running outboard...light, wide, and a shallow deadrise with some lifting strakes and maybe a reverse chine. The biggest problem with the inboard v-8's is that they are hard to find in that configuration.

Personally, I think guys with a 3000lb plus boat with a 14 degree deadrise are pushing it hard at 6 inches. I KNOW my old weldcraft renegade would start bumping at 7 inches and pretty much be stopping at 6. It was only a 60 inch bottom but was around 2500 lbs.

Dream on if you have a 3000 lb boat with 14 degrees and you want to run 3"
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast