Thread: Just a couple of silly questions

Default Just a couple of silly questions

Reloading some .338 today, have a couple of minute details bugging me, so.....
    How long do you leave brass in a cleaning machine?

Some of my cases are dimpling/wrinkling around the entire circumference of the shoulder, as if they might be .... over-stretched. Have any of you experienced this? Should I take it as a sign that it's time to throw that casing away?

Thanks for anything you've got!

Well when is this dimpling happening? Is it when you are sizing the case? If so your sizing die is not prioperly set or you may have to much lube on the case neck? Is this the first time you have reloaded this case?

As for the time in a case cleaner depends on how dirty the case is and how shiny i want it. Also depends on the media used to clean the cases.

Some more detail on the questions you pose would be of great help in formulating an accurate answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandads338 View Post
    Depends on how dirty your brass is and what type/quality of the tumbling media. I'd check it after 90 minutes and every hour thereafter until the brass shines to your desire. I think I normally let mine cook maybe 3 hours, but I don't set a timer...

Some of my cases are dimpling/wrinkling around the entire circumference of the shoulder, as if they might be .... over-stretched. Have any of you experienced this? Should I take it as a sign that it's time to throw that casing away?

A pic of your problem couldn't hurt, but it is most likely one of two things. First, you may be using too much case lubricant. That can cause dents in the shoulder. Secondly, your cases may need to be trimmed. You should be able to measure them before sizing and get an idea if that's the culprit. Ideally they should measure 2.490-2.500, so if they are .050+ longer that could be the issue.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

It sounds as though I am the problem, I have been de-priming/re-sizing and then measuring and trimming. So.... now I know. Thanks for the help guys, I'll get the hang of this eventually.

It sounds as though I am the problem, I have been de-priming/re-sizing and then measuring and trimming. So.... now I know. Thanks for the help guys, I'll get the hang of this eventually.
    This statement confuses me... Sounds like you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing...

1. tumble
    2. lube
    3. resize/decap
    4. measure
    5. Trim (If needed)
    6. Chamfer.. so on so fourth... etc...
    7. Re-tumble (Or whatever method of "de-lubing" you use)
    (These are the basic steps. Obviously, some are added or removed depending on your preference and experience).

I agree with the others... without any pictures or more details, it sounds like either you're sizing die is not spaced properly, too much lube.

Also, possibly the brass has become too rigid and it's either time to replace them, or anneal them.. but without knowing "When" this is happening, it's hard to say...

More details would help greatly...

I suppose by my previous statement I meant that if the casing wasn't trimmed prior to depriming/resizing, and it was over 2.50 ( and some were 2.51-2.515) then it could cause the neck to hit the top of the resizing die and crush the shoulder a bit, possibly making a dimple effect, so I assumed that I should trim prior to re-sizing from now on. However, it seems that if that was happening, there would be more of a crushed like appearance as far as damage. I tried taking pictures with my iPhone camera, but the detail just isn't there. I'll do some more investigating and try to get a good photo to post.

Could someone explain why over-lubrication would cause this?

Quote Originally Posted by dammdoggs View Post
    This statement confuses me... Sounds like you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing...
    Maybe my statement was a bit confusing when I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    ...You should be able to measure them before sizing and get an idea if that's the culprit. Ideally they should measure 2.490-2.500, so if they are .050+ longer that could be the issue.
    I intended for Granddads338 to measure them first because once the shoulder wrinkles you'll not be able to get an accurate measurement for the case's OAL.

As a normal practice, I size before I trim & I trim before I anneal.

Could someone explain why over-lubrication would cause this?
    Hydraulics...

I suppose by my previous statement I meant that if the casing wasn't trimmed prior to depriming/resizing, and it was over 2.50 ( and some were 2.51-2.515) then it could cause the neck to hit the top of the resizing die and crush the shoulder a bit, possibly making a dimple effect, so I assumed that I should trim prior to re-sizing from now on.
    I doubt that .010-.015 is enough to cause your problem in the die. It's possible, but unlikely IMO.

Unfortunately I wasn't observant enough while running the press, and did not see this problem until I began trimming so I cannot say whether the dimples were there prior to re-sizing. The brass is not too old, this is the third round for most of it. I have loaded this case before, however this is only the second time I've done it on my own, and without my experienced mentor around I'm a little apprehensive.

Unfortunately I wasn't observant enough while running the press, and did not see this problem until I began trimming so I cannot say whether the dimples were there prior to re-sizing. The brass is not too old, this is the third round for most of it. I have loaded this case before, however this is only the second time I've done it on my own, and without my experienced mentor around I'm a little apprehensive.
    Due to a variety of factors I expect 2-4 firings between trimmings and .010 stretch sounds about right. You need to trim those cases before you reload them as excessive case length can create too high chamber pressure with an otherwise safe load.

From what you say I doubt that the dents were there before you tried to reload. Firing will usually iron out all wrinkles and dents. Is this the first time you have tried to reload on the equipment you used to dent the cases? I really feel that the dents are due to way more lube than needed.

Check your PM

I'm actually trimming after each firing, rather than 2-4. I think I'll be done with these cases after the next firing, but I'm going to run them through the press to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Check your PM
    I checked my PM, didn't get anything, assuming you were talking to me.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

To clarify,
    You should Resize, BEFORE trimming.
    You should encounter no problems with resizing a long case.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

What Smitty said. Definitely resize before you trim. If you can set your die up to neck size or partially full length resize, that will reduce case stretching at each firing and require less trimming as well as make cases last longer. Especially important with belted mags. Case lube dents on a case are harmless and get ironed out during firing.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't have any advice to help you with your question, but you have just about the perfect handle for this shooting forum... lol

Thanks! I give credit to grandpa for it being my chosen caliber.