Thread: Burbot anyone?????

Default Burbot anyone?????

New to the whole burbot fishing, but heard they were really good eating. Making plans to take the wife and the kids out this upcoming weekend. Any ideas on where to go and what to use? My son is 8 and loves to fish, just want to make it a fun experience for him.

AK,I just use those cheapy tip ups that you get from Walmart and put on mayby 30 feet of braided line.Next put on a large barrel swivel and about 4 feet of 17# line.Finish by puting on a 7/0 sing hook and a whole herring(5-8").Burbut are mostly night feeders but can be caught durring the day.Fish in shallows on the edge of weed beds usaully near the shores.Drop the herring to the bottem and then pull up about a foot and set your tip up.Just about any lake past Eureka has Burbut in them.Good luck!

Forgot-put the hook thru the middle of the back so when the herring is hanging that it is hanging horizontal.Also do not set your tip ups to close together because burbut are pigs and you will end up playing tug of war between holes!

Thanks Steve, we'll try that out!

Default Weight?

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    AK,I just use those cheapy tip ups that you get from Walmart and put on mayby 30 feet of braided line.Next put on a large barrel swivel and about 4 feet of 17# line.Finish by puting on a 7/0 sing hook and a whole herring(5-8").Burbut are mostly night feeders but can be caught durring the day.Fish in shallows on the edge of weed beds usaully near the shores.Drop the herring to the bottem and then pull up about a foot and set your tip up.Just about any lake past Eureka has Burbut in them.Good luck!

Forgot-put the hook thru the middle of the back so when the herring is hanging that it is hanging horizontal.Also do not set your tip ups to close together because burbut are pigs and you will end up playing tug of war between holes!
    What about weight? How much and where do you put it?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

No weight and try to keep the herring thawed because they are a bugger to get down the hole if frozen.I guess you could put a couple of large split shots on your line if you want.This set up works for lakers too.

Thats about 2 hours out of Anchorage right? Any lakes closer by that will do just as good?

Oh yeah, how is the access to some of these lakes? By truck? Snowmachine? ATV? We leave on early Sunday morning as much info as possible would be greatly appreciated! If we do good photos will be posted a.s.a.p.

Probably a little late but most of the burbut lakes you will need a snowmachine.There is some good burbut fishing on Tolsona lake which is right next to the highway.We slayed them yesterday up at Louise!!

Probably a little late but most of the burbut lakes you will need a snowmachine.There is some good burbut fishing on Tolsona lake which is right next to the highway.We slayed them yesterday up at Louise!!

Are burbut in deep water? How far out should I be? I've thought about Lake Louise too, but havent heard much about that. Thanks alot!!!

Fish the lake edges and on the edge of weed beds,6-15' of water.

Default Question about the weedbeds

Fish the lake edges and on the edge of weed beds,6-15' of water.
    How do you know where the weedbeds are when you are on ice? Is there a number of feet the beds are out usually?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.