Thread: catching sucked

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default catching sucked

Fishing was good but catching that world record king didnt happen this week. We didnt even land a 50plus pounder! It was so slow we resorted to jigging rockfishes. The clients were very understanding, the boat and crew worked fine the big kings were just not in this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

You can't control the fish but you appear to to an awesome job of making sure your clients get the best you can provide. If I was in your neck of the woods, I would not hesitate to book your services. That is a nice king that little hottie is holding there!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Fishing was good but catching that world record king didnt happen this week. We didnt even land a 50plus pounder! It was so slow we resorted to jigging rockfishes. The clients were very understanding, the boat and crew worked fine the big kings were just not in this week.
    When I get back over to the Kodiak area, I'd really like to go bass fishing with you... Most people don't know it, and I probably shouldn't talk about it here, but these bass properly cooked are better than halibut...!!!

I know several rock piles that hold large blk rock. They are better than halibut, not as good as Pcod.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Agree on the rockfish - much better than halibut. But I have never kept a p-cod; I have caught tons and for whatever reason have traditionally just thrown them back. Does not appear to be any limits on them either. Okay, need an honest answer - how are the pcod for eating; are they worth keeping?

I kept 2 nice Pcod last weekend out from Homer. I cooked some along with halibut, and we hands down like it better than halibut. Melt in your mouth with really good texture and just better flavor than halibut. They do make great bait as you almost need to drill a hole in the skin to hook them up and they stay on, but I'm going to keep them for sure to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak_hunter View Post
    Okay, need an honest answer - how are the pcod for eating; are they worth keeping?
    YES, without a doubt,

and as Honest as can be, "You've missed out, if you've never kept a Pacific Cod for dinner yet."
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Well, good to know. As the saying goes, better late than never. Looks like I'll be eating p-cod next weekend, weather permitting. Many thanks!!

9 times out of 10, if you order "fish & chips" anywhere other than Seattle or Anchorage, you're getting Pacific Cod. Great eating, and no limit . . .for now. Caught some "monstah's" out of Homer last week - was glad to put them in the fishbox. One word of caution - they're STINKY! Even the fillets must be frozen fairly quickly, as they will smell up the cooler or refrig worse than a chili-fajita fart!

How do the black rock and pcod freeze? is it worth freezing them or do they get funky?

Rockfish aren't a good candidate for long term storage in the freezer. It's good a few months max. I've tried smoking and canning rock fish, but it comes out really tough and chewey. I haven't had p-cod frozen long enough to know how well it holds up.

P-cod will have worms, filleting so you leave the belley on the carcus gets rid of most of them, but don't be suprised if you find some on the meat near the belly. And no, they don't instantly migrate from the stomach to the meat. They are fairly easy to remove with the tip of your fillet knife.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I know this much, probably 98% of P Cod that go to market from AK comm fisheries are frozen, most are frozen at sea, and marketed to those Fish& Chips markets already mentioned, so as long as they are bled quickly after catching, then preferrably chilled on board, then frozen at home, they'll make Excellent filets at the kitchen table later. FREEZE AWAY, they'll keep well in your freezer.
    Black Rockfish don't freeze so well. Should be fileted and cooked up fresh, if possible
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I agree that both rockfish and cod are better on-the-plate than halibut. However, halibut is still #1 with me for several reasons:

Size. A huge rockfish might go 20lbs. Most folks will toss a 20lb halibut back. So, there ain't much meat on the average rockfish, compared to halibut.

Perservation. Halibut freeze really well. Cod are okay. Rockfish and lingcod do not freeze well at all. They get mushy.

Age and growth. Those 20lb rockfish are older than the people who caught them. Halibut are some of the fastest growing fish on the planet. But harvesting a large rockfish is like cutting down a 400-year old Douglas fir. I realize that C&R of rockfish is not an option (swim bladder rupture), and they are usually caught while fishing for halibut. But still, it bothers me to bonk an animal that's been on this earth longer than I have.

Not Kodiak sized, but at least I have some fresh king as well.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Not Kodiak sized, but at least I have some fresh king as well.

Hey! thats the king I was looking for! man it has been slow these last 2!!!! weeks. Think next year we will book nothing but cod and rockfish trips with a king bonus! starting June 9th-16th 2012, thats a nice king!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Nice Fish Rogers, and looks like you were toughin' out the weather too

Thanks for the pic, and "Good Eatin', to you and yours,"....

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Nice Fish Rogers, and looks like you were toughin' out the weather too

Thanks for the pic, and "Good Eatin', to you and yours,"....
    I can't think of anywhere in the world I would have rather been at 10:30 Friday night than there doing that. Isn't summer in Alaska great?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded