Thread: Any thoughts on .45 super from a Glock 30?

Default Any thoughts on .45 super from a Glock 30?

I see all sorts of people discussing converting the Glock .45s to 10mm. I don't hear much about the .45 super. Buffalo Bore loads a 255gr hardcast flat nose to 1075 fps. That caught my attention. Has anyone here done a .45 super conversion to a Glock? What did you think of it? I already have 23lb springs and KKM barrel for a 10mm conversion. Would a .45 Super give me much more wallop than the 10?

Yes it will. I have a 24# spring and titanium guide rod. That's all that's needed. Same dims just higher pressure. From my G21, I shoot 230 grain HPs at 1100. Haven't tried BB of DT ammo for the super. I think the barrel is 4.6" inches. If is a Lone Wolfe barrel and spring but I have shot super level from the Glock barrel. I don't think a ten mm will equal it except with linger barrel and then will still be a forty caliber. The super is a good idea and inexpensive to buy.

I don't think it's a good ideas from the little G30.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I don't think it's a good ideas from the little G30.
    Not enough barrel length? Weight? I have shot Doubletap 10mm 230gr. WFNGC Hardcast but only to get my spring weight set up. I figured I needed to throw the shell casings about 4 feet. I would really like to see how the .45 super functions out of the little G30. I think a heavy, Hornady XTP would be just about the wettest dream I could conjure in a .45 super.

Quote Originally Posted by Ennis View Post
    Not enough barrel length? Weight? I have shot Doubletap 10mm 230gr. WFNGC Hardcast but only to get my spring weight set up. I figured I needed to throw the shell casings about 4 feet. I would really like to see how the .45 super functions out of the little G30. I think a heavy, Hornady XTP would be just about the wettest dream I could conjure in a .45 super.
    As for wet or dry dreams I shant touch that part of your equation but.....

As for .45 Super from the Glock 30, based upon the research I've done in talking with some well experienced gunsmiths who have converted the Glock 21 to .45 Super, the challenge is in slowing down the velocity of the slide. It's not just barrel length (although that short barrel will short-change the veloicty potential of the 45 Super cartridge) but also the barrel lock-up mechanism that is different on the Glock 30 from the Glock 21. Also the magazine spring is negatively affected by the increased velocity of the slide. I've been advised to have the Glock 21 barrel ported 1 and 1/8 inch back from the muzzle end of barrel to relieve gas pressure for purpose of slowing down slide velocity and that includes the use of a 24# or 25# recoil spring. Porting the Glock 30 barrel that far back doesn't leave much run-way space to get that 45 slug moving up to 45 Super velocity. The magazine spring tension needs to be increased as well to insure that those rounds are available for proper loading placement during cycle.....

Ergonomically the Glock 30 grip has never been a good handshake for me either. My pinky wants to fall off..... Personally, I'd need the larger grip surface the Glock 21 affords to hang onto the .45 Super cartridge.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Thanks for giving me some good things to mull over before I go charging down the .45 super road. Glocks, because they seem simple, are constantly handing me lessons in humility. One day I'm going to learn to leave well enough alone. Much cheaper and safer.

I just bought a coplete slide assembly for a glock 20 and 2 10mm mags and i have a 10mm and 45 acp out of my 21. I can shoot cheaper 45 in the same gun as the 10 and then swap to the ten for carrying

Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    I just bought a coplete slide assembly for a glock 20 and 2 10mm mags and i have a 10mm and 45 acp out of my 21. I can shoot cheaper 45 in the same gun as the 10 and then swap to the ten for carrying
    That's the idea. I just wish I could reload. Factory 10mm is notoriously under powered. Doubletap was supposed to be up to the old Norma levels, but in recent months people have been claimed that their advertised specs are inflated. I still buy from DT because they have always given me great customer service.