Thread: Budget boats?

Default Budget boats?

I am looking for a boat for my wife and I. Mostly interested in fishing the little Su and Deshka. Kenai legal is a bonus as well. Would also like to have more options during moose season. I would have a budget of less than 10k. Would a Lowe meet my needs? Would be nice to have a canvas top but I suspect it isn't in my price range. I see some older boats in my range but I want to find a turn key and not have to worry too much about reliability.

I purchased an older wooldridge AK and it has been great. It is certainly not ding free but it gets me and the family out there. I am into it about 12K but if you shop around you could probably find something similar for about 10K. Mine has a wind shield, canvas, and pretty much all the needed gizmo's.

There have been so many boats on craigslist that fit your needs its not funny. It worked great for me this spring, and now all I need to do is save up for a 4-stroke 50hp. Lots of those will be showing up once guys start upgrading their kenai boats, and there are some on there right now, but my boat fund is empty till next year.

A word of caution though. There are lots of boats right now with older 35/40/50 detuned 2-stroke prop motors on them. You need to be prepared to wrench on them or pay someone to wrench on them. If they were maintained well they won't need much, but if they have been sitting for years like mine was you will need to have a plan for handling the issues. Or spend the coin on a new 4-stroke jet that will not over weight the stern of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I am looking for a boat for my wife and I. Mostly interested in fishing the little Su and Deshka. Kenai legal is a bonus as well. Would also like to have more options during moose season. I would have a budget of less than 10k. Would a Lowe meet my needs? Would be nice to have a canvas top but I suspect it isn't in my price range. I see some older boats in my range but I want to find a turn key and not have to worry too much about reliability.
    Hayduke
    it's possible to do what you want with a 16ft jon boat such as a lowe and a 50hp (4 stroke) jet... but you'd be better off with an 18ft boat for moose season. you can probably find something to fit either option on CL or AL for well within your budget... You can always "upgrade" later on... However, what ever your choice, demand a test run before you lay any money out... make sure everything works as advertised...

Just looking around C/L now there are some great looking older Aluminum boats for great prices that will get you anywhere you need to go to catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Hayduke
    However, what ever your choice, demand a test run before you lay any money out... make sure everything works as advertised...
    I'll have to say that is the best advise period. I didn't take it, after replacing the frozen steering, now there is a hole in the side of my motor. Pretty expensive piece of yard art. On a side note, let me know if you find a cheap outboard jet to get me back on the water. Good luck, and a few good looking well priced crafts on cl right now.

Ill be home in about 12 days or so and can help look at a couple with you if you want. Or, Ill just take you fishing.

Joe (Chris's bro-n-law)

Later
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    Ill be home in about 12 days or so and can help look at a couple with you if you want. Or, Ill just take you fishing.

Joe (Chris's bro-n-law)

Later
    Will take you up in that. Probably won't start looking until August or so. We can fish before that though .

Get a boat that you like but Make Sure the motor is in good shape by having a professional look it over. I see several people get great deals only to find out that the motor or drive unit needs major work and they end up spending more than they would have for a new. A little time at the shop is a great insurance investment.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Get a boat that you like but Make Sure the motor is in good shape by having a professional look it over. I see several people get great deals only to find out that the motor or drive unit needs major work and they end up spending more than they would have for a new. A little time at the shop is a great insurance investment.
    That is my biggest concern. My dad was burned on a Boston Whaler with a bad Merc. I have zero jet boat experience so that is the other concern.

I have almost zero boating experience but am having a blast with my used boat!! The biggest stressor for me is launching/retrieving. The key is to make sure the boat is ready to go before you get in line to hit the ramp. The only thing that should be going on from the time you get in line is putting the boat in the water. Beyond that there are enough boats in the water that you can usually just follow someone that looks like they know what they are doing to find the channel. Worst case they hit ground and you have time to back off (and render assistance). My only regret is not getting one years ago!

Just a couple thoughts on used boats in general. The best deals on used boats are the ones that are in pristine shape and the owner is either upgrading to a bigger boat, or is moving out of state. Yes, they will be the highest initial cost compared to "bargain" boats in the same size, but it's garanteed the "bargain" boat will cost you more in the long run, and may waste your precious personal time on more than one occasion.

Trying to find a do it all boat is tough, especially when you combine Kenai legal 50hp with a shallow water jet boat to hall a moose, two hunters and gear. Figure out what you want to use the boat for 80-90% of the time, and then research the best boat for that application. Then scour craigs list and other adds for used boats and have cash in hand when you come across the right boat.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have a fair amount of time on prop boats just not jets. I have a 17' Boston whaler and a 14' Klamath in OR that I want to sell to fund this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I have a fair amount of time on prop boats just not jets. I have a 17' Boston whaler and a 14' Klamath in OR that I want to sell to fund this project.
    there really isn't that much difference between jet and prop as far as boat handling goes... the slower you go with a jet the less control (steerage) you have.. Each boat/motor has it's own little peculiarities but if you have previous experience in any kind of boat you won't have any trouble with a jet rig...

The key with a jet boat is that you have to have power to steer. With a prop rig you get some "rudder" action during power off steering. With a jet you can swing it back and forth with power off and get essentially no directional response. The running speed steering difference is minimal between the two but I find that a jet responds slower to steering input at idle speeds. I still tend to overcorrect a good bit and end up weaving slowly back and forth at very low speeds, a quick goose of the the throttle gets her moving straight. The biggest challenge has been getting lined up on the trailer to retrieve. It takes practice to modulate the throttle and steering input, neither of which am I close to being even good at, much less "mastering". For me a set of trailer guide bunks are a must!

There is quite a bit of difference between props and jets. Props will turn on a dime when needed, jets may not!!! Big learning curve, but you will get it done with time and experience.