Thread: new lab puppy

Default new lab puppy

hey everyone this is my first time on this waterfowl section of the website. I am really interested in duck hunting and just got an 8 week old registered black lab. I am looking for training tips, advice, and anything else to do with ensuring that I end up with a good duck hunting dog!!! thanks for any feedback!

Wink Pictures!

Puppy lovers need pictures, please.

Default pictures

I do have some pictures but am a little computer challenged if you know what i mean. Haven't quite figure out how to post pictures on here yet.

I was also wondering about some good spots around fairbanks to try out my first duck hunting excursion. I have atv, snowmachine, and scanoe with outboard access. Also, can my dog be cross trained to grouse hunt and duck hunt. I am pretty much starting with no knowledge on dog training or duck hunting.

Default Search

AKARMY:

You could try the search feature for training info. Type in dog trainer.

Good Luck

Default Retriever training

There are several very talented professional trainers here in the Fairbanks area. One is surely one of the best trainers in the entire country. He spends the winter training full time in Texas and Oklahoma, but is here all summer. Ohers spend the whole year here and even if just used as occasional tune-up help, they can really help you maximize your success with a young dog. Well trained dogs can truly make the hunts and time in the field so much more fun.

I'd be happy to share contact names with you but don't want to post their info online just in case they wouldn't want that. Feel free to email me and I'll help you connect. There are a couple very good gun dog groups in Fairbanks as well that I think you would enjoy, not only for the great help in training, but to also meet great folks that enjoy the same outdoors fun as you. You'll find everyone very helpful and welcoming and they really want everyone's dog to succeed...just pure fun!

Have fun, hope we get to meet you and your pup this summer! Welcome to the great interior...

Bill
    www.ncrc.alaska.com

Get in touch with this club:
    www.iagda.org

Lightbulb Training book

I would strongly suggest that you get Water Dog by Richard Wolters. Also has a video. How-to on most everything you'll need to know on training your new duck hound. Has several other books too: Gun Dog, Family Dog, and, I think, Game Dog. All excellent books.
    The public library is a good place to find both the books. If your local branch doesn't have it, you can order it on-line, and they'll send it to your local branch. Great system, slow, but great.
    Have fun and take'em

emrdux
    Last edited by emrdux; 03-09-2007 at 09:31. Reason: run on

Default second water dog

Get the water dog video. I trained my chessie with it and it was excellent! The video shows the exact way to do things, versus the book which may be harder to picture. You can train your dog perfectly with the video. I wouldn't waste time though, you should be training that dog ASAP!

Default congrats...

Great to here you are joining the dog world!
    there are many many different videos and books on training bird dogs...you have to browse them and they can all have great information. A little here a little there.
    *Bill Tarrant has a good book or two...forgot the titles
    *The Labrador Shooting Dog by Mike Gould
    If you plan to use an e-collar (good tool if used properly)
    *Tri-Tronics Retriever Training By Jim and Phyliss Dobbs is good too. It is more than just e-collar training, it has drills and skills also.
    And most important IMHO is to find a group of guys/gals who have some experience and train with them. To do a good job with retrievers it takes some man power.
    good luck and good hunting/training

oh yeah...you can definitely have an upland bird and waterfowl dog in one
    Last edited by Burke; 03-09-2007 at 22:00. Reason: more info

Default Where?

Where are you located? If your in the fairbanks area, definately look into both retriever club (FRC and IAGDA). Once temps start to warm, the IAGDA club will start holding open training sessions at the Chena flood control. That would be a great way for you to bring the pup out and introduce him and yourself to the addiction of gun dog training.

The above mentioned books by wolters are all good, although i think there are better ones out there now. They are staples of the training world and you couldn't go wrong with them, but they are verging on being dated. A popular one now is the "Smartworks" series by Evan Grahm (www.rushcreekpress.com).

Also mentioned is Dobbs. Here is a link to his collection of training articles.
    http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/index.html

For right now though, the best thing you can do is have fun and enjoy your pup. Try to develop his enthusiasim for retrieving, but don't over do it. You want to leave him always wanting more. So sometimes just two or 3 retrieves at a time is plenty. His attention span will be pretty low right now. Another good trick is to do your retieves in a hallway. This way the pup doesn't have any escape routes and makes the perfect retrieve right back to you.

One last parting thought. Obedience is everything! Do everything you can to get him tuned into you and obeying you. Sit, here, come.....all of it. Get them started early, and you won't be fighting it in the duck blind.

Good luck!!

Default thanks

Thanks for all of the great information everyone! I did get the video "water dog" from sportsmans in fairbanks and it is a great video. He is already obeying all commands and retrieving time and time again. I have been in fairbanks for almost 3 years now and am very familiar with the outlying areas as far as big game hunting goes. If anyone could divulge some good spots to go I have every mode of transportation except a plane. thanks everyone!!!

Default lab puppy

I also highly suggest the book or video the water dog. Yes it is old, but it worked great. I got a pure bred chocolate lab 7 years ago. I started training him right at 48 days old. The key is to stick with it, no breaks. The book describes several different mental growth spurts the dog will go through. Pay attention to those as it is true the dog will test you, will push the envelope as to what he can get awaywith and will walk right on the line as far as what is right and wrong. Labs are hard headed but have a great personality making them easy to train. Some times you have to show them you are in controll and not let them get away with anything. Bad habits will be hard to break and it is much easier when they are small and cute then when they are over 80 pounds! Also proper training could actually save your dogs life when it comes to roads and vehicles. A properly trained lab that will sleep outside your tent and hike behind you on your heels all day and stand in the water beside you when you fish is truly a great feeling. I know i have one, but it took a ton of work to get him that way. Chef

Get the book water dog and get in contact with people who train. I live in Wasilla and have Wed-Fri off.

Welcome to the world of labs. Expect for everything that you own to have teeth marks in it. I have a now 4 year female. She are ate a lot of expensive stuff of mine. But, I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. She minds really well and is my best friend. I bought her for upland game over a pointer because they are really good with people. I used water dog and the other book that deals with upland game. She works great for both. You are going to have to put a lot of time in training the dog. Remember that you have to make it fun and I could only get 15 minutes of training and then the rest was play time. I hope that everything goes well with the dog. It is a great bread I wouldn't get any other type of dog.