Thread: wilting cucumber plants, HELP

Default wilting cucumber plants, HELP

I have the worst luck with cucumbers in my greenhouse. I am sooooooo envious of you guys that have awesome cucumber plants. Mine are very wilted. They looked pretty good last week, and were getting a lot of tiny cucs on them. I went camping and had to leave them for two days and when I came home they looked terrible. I had to leave the greenhouse open day and night to prevent overheating in the daytime. Maybe they got too cold at night with the door opened. Any advice on why they are so wilted and unhappy looking? I am about to give up on growing cucs!

On hot days they need allot of water. I'm guessing not enough water on a sunny day.
    I doubt too cool, sounds like not enough water but just guessing.
    Mist them with a spray bottle, they can absorb water thru the leaves, may be able to save them.
    Hope they come around, i know the feeling.

I've never had them wilt after growing good except when they didn't get enough water.

I agree with mudbuddy the coolnights would just slow them down a little. They need a lot of water. Next time that you have to leave for a couple of days take a one gallon plastic milk jug and punch one hole in the bottom with a punch or ice pick and fill with water and then sit next to plant with the hole close to the plant . Also water real good on the morning that you leave. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. I will try the milk jug trick because we do a lot of camping in the summer and I do have to leave them often. Hope they come back to life!

On the hot days, my cucumbers tend to wilt too unless I water them early every day. Misting them sounds like a good idea to help them get over the wilt faster.

Good luck.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

We are having 100 degree days, my cucumbers start wilting about noon and look melted by 5. By 6 they start looking better, that is when they start getting shade. My cucumber vines have roots several feet long, so watering right beside the plant is not really needed. Lots of water should get them looking good.

For a more heat tolerant cucumber look into Armenian Cucumbers, a.k.a. snake melon. Mine don't wilt in high heat, and they have seen the mid 30's and it didn't hurt them either.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blog...-is-melon.html
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I have been making some self watering garden containers from the 14 gal and 18 gal ruffneck rubbermaids. They are working great. Love them and easy to make. they will go 4-5 days without watering. Every thing Ive planted in them is doing much better than the same just in the garden. If anyone wants to see photos I could take some. I think these really are the way to go so one can going floating and fishing some and not worry about the plants back home.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I have been making some self watering garden containers from the 14 gal and 18 gal ruffneck rubbermaids. They are working great. Love them and easy to make. they will go 4-5 days without watering. Every thing Ive planted in them is doing much better than the same just in the garden. If anyone wants to see photos I could take some. I think these really are the way to go so one can going floating and fishing some and not worry about the plants back home.
    I tried the same thing, only with 5 gallon buckets instead of the rubbermaid totes... My observations to date are, the tomatoe plants in the self watering buckets are doing better than the plants in 5 gallon buckets that have to rely upon me to water them regularly... The plants are growing faster, taller... right now both are about equal on blossoms, but the self watering are about 1 tomatoe ahead of the "others"... that could change and very soon... I really appreciate the "peace of mind" a self watering system gives when I'm off fishing for a couple days...!!! So far I have only added water to the containers about once a week... but I was totally blown away at how much water those plants would use up in a weeks time...!!!

I would like to see some pics of the self waterer set ups. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EBalaska View Post
    I would like to see some pics of the self waterer set ups. thanks
    EBalaska I've yet to figure out how to post a picture on here but here's where most of us got our info and ideas..

http://www.josho.com/gardening.htm

instead of buying the rubbermaid totes, I used up some of the 5 gallon buckets I had laying around...