Thread: photos / kevlar keel strips/hudson bay

Default photos / kevlar keel strips/hudson bay

I hope these photos work. A savvy friend helped me with them. I have more photos
    but the website only allowed 2. The kevlar felt was purchased from scott canoe.
    It's much thicker, thus holding a lot more epoxy resin.The project took me about
    8 hours. But this is new to me. I cut each 6 inch wide strip 32 inches long to make
    application easier. I used west systems 5 to 1 epoxy resin to hardener mixture.
    I had both slow and fast hardeners.I started with the fast but changed to slow as
    the temperature reached 75. I started at the stern where I've found most damage
    occurs. A full 10 by 30 inch skid plate.I cut close to the drain hole but allowing
    enough room to work on it if needed. I then did all 3 keels. The center keel all the
    way around the bow to the upper u bolt. I then added sacrificial kevlar to the stern.
    3 by 30. So 2 layers at the most vulnerable spot. Also another layer just up from the
    drain hole to thicken the hull and help protect the drain hole cover. My cover is
    flattened and I have a new one but I left the old one on . I figure it's just going to
    happen again. It took exactly a gallon of epoxy resin and a quart of hardener. About
    230$.Felt another 65$. I think the boat is substantially tougher than before. The
    kevlar and epoxy looks bombproof. Downsides?: The coating is thick and rough.
    It may give a very slight reduction in speed and efficiency but I think the freedom from worry over damage is worth it.

Thanks for the pics. Your installation looks neat and tough ... should be much more durable than fiberglass alone. Good job.

That looks seriously tough. Tried to send rep but will catch you the system allows.

northern alaska

Looks like a nice job kandik, I'm always amazed at how much epoxy that Kevlar will absorb. I've tried to put it on thick for a smooth finish and it just keeps sucking the stuff up....

If my herculiner does not work i will try that next.
    You should be able to gelcoat that stuff, which may smooth it out quite a bit.

I have a bunch of 5 oz. Kevlar cloth left from other projects. I'm thinking that it might make a tough sacrificial layer and be a bit smoother than the Kevlar felt, although not quite as protective as felt, but easier to deal with. I'm particularly thinking of using it for the leading edges of the Y-stern. Just a thought.

Rick, Good idea. What's nice is that you can apply the kevlar at the y-stern without taking the boat off the trailer. I would
    do it now to a new boat. I promise you the area will be damaged if you venture on very shallow,rocky rivers. I wish I had done
    it on the new boat. All it takes is a bunch of rocky riffles with not quite enough water to float the boat. The weight of the motor
    and yourself makes the stern the achilles heel of the boat. Why not avoid the problem and do it now.