Thread: Seeking some ideas for scenic points I should not miss during my visit

Wink Seeking some ideas for scenic points I should not miss during my visit

I am headed to AK in a month. We will be traveling north out of Anchorage, back east across the Denali Hwy, south back to ANC. Then we are headed down to the Kenia. The main point of our trip is fishing, I have a DSLR camera and a strong desire to get some memorable photos of the country as we fish our way around these areas. I would like to ask for input about suggested scenic viewpoints to take some good pics. I am curious to know of spots I should at least consider and others that are highly recommended. I realize this is a very general question. We have plenty of flexibility time-wise as we are renting an RV. I will not be able to access areas where 4wd or atv's are required. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I have visited AK before, in 2008. Everything was white and very cold, at least for a southern boy. I am getting really excited and thanks for any advice.

I have a Canon 60D with an 18-135 and a 75-300 lens

As your traveling North out of Anc headed for the Denali hwy, just as you crest the hill coming into Willow, there is a pull out on the right... That's probably the best view you'll get of Mt Denali.. (Mckinly)... (IMHO)

Head towards Sutton and a little past it. There are a few pull outs along the way offering some great views for pictures. It would not be to much out of the way on your way north to Denali. Seward HWY offers some picturing taking a well.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Are you looking for just roadside or are you wanting to do any hiking? If it is a month from now i would hit Hatcher pass and research some short trails there like April Bowl or Reed Lakes trail.

Matanuska Glacier up the Glenn highway if you want a 2 hour detour there is another spot.

If it is sunny then early morning and late night are going to give you the best mountain shots. Less haze and the lighting is better.

First up, every time you get out to fish, strap on your camera...you never know what you will see! My guess is that you will be stopping at Willow Creek, Little Willow, Sheep and Montana Creeks to fish for salmon. There will many opportunities to take fantastic pictures, and a good chance of see wildlife. Every roadside stream will have fish, you can spend a summer fishing all of them, and still miss many. Around Milepost 180 or so, just after Byers Lake Campground (fantastic trout fishing and lots of bears), you will see on the right the Veteran's Memorial Rest Stop and Campground. Fantastic views of Mt. McKinley if it is a clear day...in July I think you have a 65% chance of clouds.
    Once you get to Cantwell you will turn east and head on the Denali highway...which turns into a dirt road for the majority of the trip. Lots and lots of fishing and photo opportunities...this stretch will have the most opportunities to see bears, eagles, owls, and hawks...a telephoto lens really is great here.
    At the far end of the Denali highway you turn south towards Glennallen. Again, tons of fishing opportunities for salmon in July. You will turn west at Glennallen...but if you have the time you might consider going south and taking the turn off to Chiltna and/or McCarthy exit...at the Chiltna bridge (as far as I would go with a RV) you will be able to walk down the beach and get up close and personal with folks running fish wheels. Awesome photo opportunities. Well worth it IMHO.
    Back to Glennallen, you head west on the Glenn Highway. Around mile 100 (I think) is a side road down to the Matanuska Glacier. There is a fee to drive to it, but again it is well worth it IMHO. The camping is dry and dirty, but you can go out and walk on this glacier. I have gotten some staggeringly great photos of this glacier. If it is cloudy or rainy, the shots are even Better! No fishing, but easy access and great photography opportunities abound.
    Hope that gives you a few ideas :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger nailed it spot on pretty much accept one thing, he didn't pitch his own company. You should check him out as he does 4 wheeler tours in some pretty sceninc country by the big su bridge.

http://www.blackbearatvadventures.com/

Check him out.

The Kenai has much to offer. PM me if you want any particulars on the area. One day trip I suggest highly is the Captains Choice (day cruise) with Kenai Fjords Tours in Seward. They have a great website and reservations are required. One of the best days I have had in Alaska. So much wildlife and scenery on that trip. This particular tour is on a smaller boat than most they offer and is perfect for photographers. The drive around the Kenai to Homer and Seward (big horseshoe shaped road for all practical purposes) will allow you to see plenty. If so inclined, there are a few bear viewing services in Homer that fly you over to Katmai for the day for up close brown bear viewing. Lots of opportunity on the Kenai for a photographer. I see you are in NC, from Rockingham myself.

-Dan

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Roger nailed it spot on pretty much accept one thing, he didn't pitch his own company. You should check him out as he does 4 wheeler tours in some pretty sceninc country by the big su bridge.
    You are absolutely nuts. Never heard of this guy!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Gorgeous pics!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    You are absolutely nuts. Never heard of this guy!

Roger45 - Too funny and my mistake. I seen the Roger and thought you were the Roger I know on here. Not Roger45

Sorry about that

Geez Dan did you bring a 600mm with you?

yea Dan, what do you shoot? Great pics!!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Great shots Dan! I love the one of Kenai Lake.

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Thanks guys for all the great advice. I am making notes. I really appreciate it.

Stop by and we can point you in the right direction! No charge of course! We are in the middle of the highway. Coffee is always free.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Canon 40D with 24-104 and 100-400 took most those shots. Used the 5D Mark II and 17-40 on a few.

Can't credit the photographer, hard to get a bad picture in Alaska

-Dan

Definitely stop by and see denalihunter when you're out on the Denali Hwy. Nicest people around!