Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: working towards check ride is becomming drudgery

Default working towards check ride is becomming drudgery

Does anyone know if you can fly a high perfomance single seat tail dragger as a student pilot. I am going to spend the rest of the summer trying to finish out my licence in a 152 but if I cant get it by the fall I am going to spend the winter saving for a 200+ hp single seat pitts so I can actually go out and have fun in the process of getting my licence, instead of it being a drudgery like its starting to become. I also have a super cub in the family to get my tail dragger time in, for the pitts specific air frame and high performance rating my fiance and I will probably take a little vacation to chandler arizona to get checked out in a pitts which would give me the experience I need to fly it, unless someone knows of an actual instructor that instructs in a 2 seater pitts up here. When I buy one, licence or no licence I will probably just have it crated up and shipped because I dont think that would be a very fun cross country in a pitts, I know people do it or have done it, but im doing this for fun and that does not sound fun. I have to get a hanger lined up in birch wood first too, I am hoping I can rent out a corner of a hangar for like 250$ a month.

Yes you can obtain a high performance, taildragger and a complex endorsement while you are a student pilot.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Is Patti Wagstaff still around......?

She lives in Florida these days. Or at least she did as of a couple years ago when she was pinched for DWI at an EAA event.

I know that my writen exam will eventually expire again, do the endorsements expire? Say if I got a high performance and tail dragger endorsement as a student pilot in arizona in a pitts and came back and started flying my single seater I would still have to get a 90 day solo sign off, could I just go fly with an instructor in a citabria for an hour and be on my way or will it become a convoluded mess since I will be flying a plane that they dont instruct on up here? Or will the endorsements hold and I just have to re-get a solo endorsement in what ever airframe the flight school has and go back to flying my pitts. I figure if I can fly a pitts and do a hammer head I should eventually be able to do slow flight without loosing altitude or a steep turn without loosing altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I know that my writen exam will eventually expire again, do the endorsements expire? Say if I got a high performance and tail dragger endorsement as a student pilot in arizona in a pitts and came back and started flying my single seater I would still have to get a 90 day solo sign off, could I just go fly with an instructor in a citabria for an hour and be on my way or will it become a convoluded mess since I will be flying a plane that they dont instruct on up here? Or will the endorsements hold and I just have to re-get a solo endorsement in what ever airframe the flight school has and go back to flying my pitts. I figure if I can fly a pitts and do a hammer head I should eventually be able to do slow flight without loosing altitude or a steep turn without loosing altitude.
    Do what the old timers did. Forget the ^&^&^$%%$^&*^% FAA. Move to a small Ak community and fly what you want when you want. To much &*(^%$# Gov for me.

Rick

Go for it. If I could have afforded a Pitts when I was a student pilot I would have made the decision you're contemplating in a NY second! Nothing like a Pitts. I got a couple hours in an S2a with Jack Nielsen shortly after I got my Private license back in 78 or 79. Did anyone else here here do any flying at Nielsen Aviation in the 70's?

Another option for Pitts training in AZ would be with Aviation Writer Budd Davisson http://www.airbum.com/ He has a Pitts he teaches in and also has a bed and breakfast. I think flying with Budd and BSing with him afterward over a livation or two would be a kick....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Another option for Pitts training in AZ would be with Aviation Writer Budd Davisson http://www.airbum.com/ He has a Pitts he teaches in and also has a bed and breakfast. I think flying with Budd and BSing with him afterward over a livation or two would be a kick....Louis
    Yeah Budd is a heck of a pilot that's for sure. You'd learn a lot if he took ya up. Just wear a extra set of underwear Ha!

I met him at the Fun-N-Sun in '07. He was hawking the Bearhawk kit plane. I flew right seat in it and it's a real performer. Leaps off the ground. I almost bought one last yr but the guy, not Budd, reneged on me then called back and changed his mind again. Nuts!!

Have fun in the Pitts.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is Patti Wagstaff still around......?
    Last I knew, she was in Miami, Florida.

Yea Im going to give it a little more with pushing for the private just becasue im so close. I might try to get checked out with another instructor, im not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I have to get a hanger lined up in birch wood first too, I am hoping I can rent out a corner of a hangar for like 250$ a month.
    The line in front of you looking for this is about 250 people long. . . you might be able to find a winter storage place in a hangar (you can't take the plane in/out during the winter) for about $500/mo . . but even they are hard to come by.

If the hangar space becomes an issue, I have to hope that I can keep up my medical until im like 50 years old becuase to purchace a hangar is about 100k plus the cost of the plane itself of about 60-70k. I am also looking into wasilla air port as well which is quite a bit cheaper. It would be more miles on my truck to get out there but less hours on my plane because I would already be in an area where I could perform areobatics almost as soon as I took off where as out of birchwood I would have to fly for like 20 min to get to a unpopulated area. Not too unpopulated of course since I am doing this bo be a spectical lol.

It is unfortunate that palmer air port has such little hanger space for such a huge air strip, seems like they have a ton of unused real estate around the air port that just sits, I wonder when they are going to open that up.

Default Palmer hangar space

Palmer might be a bit dicey for a Pitts some of the time due to big winds off the Knik Glacier and marginal cross wind capabilities with the little bi-plane.

It is unfortunate that palmer air port has such little hanger space for such a huge air strip, seems like they have a ton of unused real estate around the air port that just sits, I wonder when they are going to open that up.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard a student pilot complain that the required 40 hours of combined dual and solo flight time was "drudgery". I ain't buying it.

A year or two ago the guy who built the last bunch of hangars at Palmer was struggling to sell them at really reduced prices. Why would anyone want to build more?

The required 40 is not bad at all but im probably at 55 or 60 by now and still trying to get signed off for the check ride. At this point I just need to get signed off to take it. The thing is I got most of my hours 5 years ago and when I started back up I scarred my new instructor on a cross wind landing, I had it under control but he though it was scarry and I made a mistake on ATC clearance for class C air space which was a boo boo on my part. However I went out today and practiced at big lake and it went off without a hitch so I think I just need to schedule another instructor that has not had thoes negitive experinces with me so I can get signed off quicker and it does not cost me a fortune.

Thats a good point with palmer air port, probably dont want to fly a pitts out of there, wasilla is probably a good air port, hangar space is relativly cheap and while its more of a drive I have to fly less far to perform acrobatics than I would from birchwood and I can visit my family while im out there in my truck and maybe ride some 4 wheelers the same day, cant really do that in birchwood.

I have to hope that I can keep up my medical until im like 50 years old
    I had it under control but he though it was scarry
    A. As hard as it may be to grasp at a young and tender age,,, you do not fall apart after the age of 49.

B. If he thought scarey , a Examiner might have also thought so. I made marginal x-wind landings, (which I thought were just fine) for 20 years, before a lady chief CFI in her late 70s showed me real x-wind landings.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    A. As hard as it may be to grasp at a young and tender age,,, you do not fall apart after the age of 49.

B. If he thought scarey , a Examiner might have also thought so. I made marginal x-wind landings, (which I thought were just fine) for 20 years, before a lady chief CFI in her late 70s showed me real x-wind landings.
    Who was that FP?

CFI Kathleen Snaper,
    Flight time 10,800 hours
    14 Air Races, 2 World Records
    Air Race Competitor since 1976
    Gold Seal Flight Instructor in both
    single and multi engine aircraft

who just reminded me that only now is she in her 70s. She is an cross country racer down in North Las Vegas field. There are photos of her in the terminal building with Howard Hughes. You do the math.
    She can fly the box in which the aircraft parts were mailed.

She would wait until NOBODY was flying because of the wind and order me to the field. Trash bags, tumble weeds, small dogs and hobos would be blowing across the runway. The guys in the tower would say "You want to use WHAT runway?? Are you sure about that?"
    Her idea of a fun afternoon doing spin training-training was somewhat similar.

She really helped me be a better pilot and much better CFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

Yea thats true, I guess if it takes me 80 hrs it takes me 80 hrs or how ever many it takes me. Am getting ready for the oral and there is just a ton of rote memorization even more so than the writen because the sky is the limit between the FAR's, POH, oral exam guide book, sectionals, airport directory, weather sources, etc. Some of that weather stuff I cant keep memorized to save my life, I can use all the sources in real life but when it comes to just esoteric knowlage of some of this stuff its tough.

I will just keep booking time and flights until I get it, I was just hoping this was not going to get outragiously expensive.

I had over 120 legal hours and twice that many that I could not log when I finally took my private check-ride. Most in my own plane.
    Enjoy the journey, because there is always going to be another check-ride for another rating...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast